GDT: #32| New York Islanders @ San Jose Sharks| December 10th | 10:30pm | F/SOW 3-2

goalsniper

Mar 11, 2011
Always liked Poulin... He's got the talent and the reflexes, just never got any time to develop at the nhl level. Maybe nabby getting hurt was a blessing in disguise. If this team had any defense/defensive system at all he would be even more solid.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
Good game guys. Way to hang around into the third and your goalie is amazing. The team speed was also a pleasure to watch. JT is a stud!

nyislesx23

Oct 4, 2008
Can't even say id be surprised to see Cappy "roll with the same lineup" and sit strome Thursday in Phoenix. Guy is still a joke

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Vanek has not gotten a shift in OT and while I was surprised I cannot say that the coaching staff made a mistake there. His puck control in the third has not been good tonight. Still, the first line is a constant threat in almost every game lately which is kinda nice.

The effort was there tonight in the last twenty minutes, the Islanders showed they still have some pride. Baby steps...baby steps.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
even thought the Sharks got a lot of shots on goal, i thought that we played better defensively. we kept them to the outside more, won more 1on1 battles. just plain worked harder at team defence, IMO. that and KP standing on his head.

still wondering about Cappy. Clutter plays 18 min, and Chasey 13? WTF?

Vanek is lazy. great hands, but lazy. i would be all for trading him for a stud defensive defenceman.

Dehaan looked great. my only concern is his health. PLEASE stay healthy!

i really think KO has turned the corner. he just seems so much more comfortable. confident.

AMac still with some brutal give aways. he needs to go back to KISS. too fancy sometimes.

i wonder where Strome will fit in?

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
even thought the Sharks got a lot of shots on goal, i thought that we played better defensively. we kept them to the outside more, won more 1on1 battles. just plain worked harder at team defence, IMO. that and KP standing on his head.

Vanek is lazy. great hands, but lazy. i would be all for trading him for a stud defensive defenceman.

i really think KO has turned the corner. he just seems so much more comfortable. confident.

AMac still with some brutal give aways. he needs to go back to KISS. too fancy sometimes.

Great point about AMac. The same Kiss principle should be applied to Hamonic and Hickey. Since Lubo's injury the three of them are all guilty of trying to do too much. I like DeHaan's game because he keeps the game real simple. The other three need to get back to that.

Also agree with you about KO, he's shown glimpses but now he's doing it over a sustained period of time. I was wrong about him last year. He is showing a consistent effort this year.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

Maybe #2C/#3C back & forth with Nielsen to spread the attack, I'd guess first, though Bailey and Grabner should be benching candidates, Strome should stick to center, without denying Nelson ice time as well.

isleskovalchuk

May 20, 2007

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time

I would not call Vanek lazy, but rather his play lacking hustle. This may sound a little strange, but I have watched Vanek since his college days and this always comes up. He had the label of being lazy back in those days already when Parise and him battled in the WCHA with similar success but those totally different styles of play. Parise all hustle, Vanek all skill.

Vanek is a big body that skates somewhat slow with longer and slower strides than most Islander forwards. To amplify this he is basically always doing the deep forecheck trying to direct the play, meaning he is hanging back on the backcheck. That has been his way of playing since I can remember. It is his role and most likely the way the coaching staff wants him to play. As a winger I do not think this makes him a defensive liability at all. Wingers are not necessarily required to hustle from goal line to goal line on every shift. Vanek's defensive value comes into play when he gets the puck on his stick and can use his hands and vision.

He will often get the outlet pass or clearing attempt in the neutral zone and has to delay or distribute the puck to a breaking forward. This means he will be under pressure from the opposing team and here you want him to not loose the puck at any circumstances. IMO this is Vanek's most valuable addition to a working defensive NYI system, to help get the puck out and then distribute it in a meaningful way that does not let the opposing team gain the puck in the neutral zone and catch the Islanders in transistion. That said where Vanek's defensive play becomes a problem is when he has poor puck control like yesterday.

You may agree or disagree, for me this has been the best explanation I can find for why his play might look "lazy" on the ice.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Didn't watch.
Just read the entire thread.

What was this about Poulin being hurt at what seemed to be close to the end of overtime?

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Didn't watch.
Just read the entire thread.

What was this about Poulin being hurt at what seemed to be close to the end of overtime?
after the first penalty shot - which he saved extending his left leg to the far post - he immediately grabbed his lower leg with his glove and it looked like he was in pain. He continued to play after a short break where he also drank some fluids. Might have been only a cramp.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I do have to say..I listened to the Sharks announcers for a bit and they are not bad. They never bad mouthed us once in the period and a half I listened to them. In fact, they said Poulin was "brilliant" and also suggested that IF they were the Isles (this was banter between the guys), they'd give the 2014 pick to the Sabres..however, they did also say it wasn't an easy choice to do so, but, with the depth of the draft and McDavid as a potential pick, they'd probably chance the 2015 pick.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
I would not call Vanek lazy, but rather his play lacking hustle. This may sound a little strange, but I have watched Vanek since his college days and this always comes up. He had the label of being lazy back in those days already when Parise and him battled in the WCHA with similar success but those totally different styles of play. Parise all hustle, Vanek all skill.

Vanek is a big body that skates somewhat slow with longer and slower strides than most Islander forwards. To amplify this he is basically always doing the deep forecheck trying to direct the play, meaning he is hanging back on the backcheck. That has been his way of playing since I can remember. It is his role and most likely the way the coaching staff wants him to play. As a winger I do not think this makes him a defensive liability at all. Wingers are not necessarily required to hustle from goal line to goal line on every shift. Vanek's defensive value comes into play when he gets the puck on his stick and can use his hands and vision.

He will often get the outlet pass or clearing attempt in the neutral zone and has to delay or distribute the puck to a breaking forward. This means he will be under pressure from the opposing team and here you want him to not loose the puck at any circumstances. IMO this is Vanek's most valuable addition to a working defensive NYI system, to help get the puck out and then distribute it in a meaningful way that does not let the opposing team gain the puck in the neutral zone and catch the Islanders in transistion. That said where Vanek's defensive play becomes a problem is when he has poor puck control like yesterday.

You may agree or disagree, for me this has been the best explanation I can find for why his play might look "lazy" on the ice.

this!

And soo bad i didn't see him in defens in the Islanders jersey... +1 :sarcasm:
with so many losses, and not so much goals and points...Yes i think he work good in defens-not best but good.
Now i hope the PPG scoring coming back.

IHateSidney

Oct 30, 2011
NY
I dont believe it...they finally got their heads out of their ***** and won a game...I'm still not getting my hopes up...its only one game...

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
WATCH THIS SPACE: If the Isles begin to turn it around a bit and play better over the next few weeks, there will be people that will credit Strome for it just like they blame Vanek for the **** streak.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
WATCH THIS SPACE: If the Isles begin to turn it around a bit and play better over the next few weeks, there will be people that will credit Strome for it just like they blame Vanek for the **** streak.

If NYI starts to turn it around, it will be due to a hot goalie and the confidence that comes with it. It's all down to Poulin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad