GDT: #32| New York Islanders @ San Jose Sharks| December 10th | 10:30pm | F/SOW 3-2

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Always liked Poulin... He's got the talent and the reflexes, just never got any time to develop at the nhl level. Maybe nabby getting hurt was a blessing in disguise. If this team had any defense/defensive system at all he would be even more solid.
I agree that it gives him some Valuable NHL ice time . However I feel like once nabby is back he will not get time again

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
I had to rub my eyes a few times this morning to make sure I was reading the score right on the notification that was sent to my phone.

Saw the highlights replay and nice to see the boys dig it out.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I had to rub my eyes a few times this morning to make sure I was reading the score right on the notification that was sent to my phone.

Saw the highlights replay and nice to see the boys dig it out.

In my early morning haze, around 3am I looked at my phone, and could have sworn it said we lost 3-2 in a SO. I guess I really was out of it, lol. Then I'm reading the game thread and seeing the word WIN, and I finally realized we won !

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
If NYI starts to turn it around, it will be due to a hot goalie and the confidence that comes with it. It's all down to Poulin.

If not for Poulin is the first 40 minutes, it could easily have been 8-0. The Sharks completely dominated the Isles, best opponent they have faced all season. Against the Sharks (and teams like LA, CHI, ANA, STL, BOS, PIT) they will need spectacular goaltending.

Against everyone else the Isles need to out work the opponents and limit mistakes while getting above avg goaltending and stay health. A lot of variables. No doubt.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If NYI starts to turn it around, it will be due to a hot goalie and the confidence that comes with it. It's all down to Poulin.

I wouldn't get too crazy thinking that far ahead. If Vis comes back maybe they can start changing the direction of their crashing season, but one lucky hot night for the goaltender against a team that doesn't have experience playing against them... so many weaknesses that need to be strengthened on defense.... and still have the worst coach in the NHL to fall back on... just saying.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
WATCH THIS SPACE: If the Isles begin to turn it around a bit and play better over the next few weeks, there will be people that will credit Strome for it just like they blame Vanek for the **** streak.

Guaranteed. Of course it couldn't be how abysmal the defense really was with Donovan and Carkner (in no order) getting minutes that better off handled by Visnovsky, deHaan and Strait......though I do want Ness to spend a little time learning from Visnovsky.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
If not for Poulin is the first 40 minutes, it could easily have been 8-0. The Sharks completely dominated the Isles, best opponent they have faced all season. Against the Sharks (and teams like LA, CHI, ANA, STL, BOS, PIT) they will need spectacular goaltending.

Against everyone else the Isles need to out work the opponents and limit mistakes while getting above avg goaltending and stay health. A lot of variables. No doubt.

Redbull's correct in his assessment. Poulin stole this game. The first time I can remember in a long time that an Islander goaltender played that spectacular, and spectacular is not an exaggeration in this case. The game should have been over in the 1st period.

By the way, I love Brock Nelson's game. He's a good one!

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Redbull's correct in his assessment. Poulin stole this game. The first time I can remember in a long time that an Islander goaltender played that spectacular, and spectacular is not an exaggeration in this case. The game should have been over in the 1st period.

By the way, I love Brock Nelson's game. He's a good one!

while i really like brock and think at times he has looked great this season, i think he is a bit overrated around these parts.....i didnt really notice anything special out of him last night

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
while i really like brock and think at times he has looked great this season, i think he is a bit overrated around these parts.....i didnt really notice anything special out of him last night

I feel he is better than Regin/PMB and that's the reason people started complaining. That, along with he is a young player that is supposed to be part of the core.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I feel he is better than Regin/PMB and that's the reason people started complaining. That, along with he is a young player that is supposed to be part of the core.

no argument from me there....he is FAR more of a complete player than regin/PMB right now, which is rarely the case for a young player...

he is very good in the corners, can handle himself physically, and is actually a better skater than i thought he would be.....also did show some skill when playing on the top line with JT

i actually want to see him replace vanek on the top line and have vanek play with strome to even out the scoring a bit, but i do want to see a bit more offense from brock before i annoint him an every day top 6 player...

by no means did my comment before mean that i was unhappy with his play thus far this, year...sorry if it came out that way...im just not ready to proclaim him JC yet, as many of us around here are ;)

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

I did. Even though he was saddled with Bailey and McDonald, they had a few nice shifts and almost scored on two occasions - that"
Ms more scoring chances than lines 2-3 have had in weeks.

He's big, smart, talented and has a lot of potential.

Question: did you like the way he looked with Tavares? When Vanek was out?

Good players look better playing with good players. See how amazing SJ looked yesterday? Easy for Hertl to fit in with Thornton and Burns. Toffoli in LA. Saad in CHI.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I did. Even though he was saddled with Bailey and McDonald, they had a few nice shifts and almost scored on two occasions - that"
Ms more scoring chances than lines 2-3 have had in weeks.

He's big, smart, talented and has a lot of potential.

Question: did you like the way he looked with Tavares? When Vanek was out?

Good players look better playing with good players. See how amazing SJ looked yesterday? Easy for Hertl to fit in with Thornton and Burns. Toffoli in LA. Saad in CHI.

please reference my above post.....after re-reading my post you quoted, i realized it prob came off differently than i wanted it to...:)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
even thought the Sharks got a lot of shots on goal, i thought that we played better defensively. we kept them to the outside more, won more 1on1 battles. just plain worked harder at team defence, IMO. that and KP standing on his head.

still wondering about Cappy. Clutter plays 18 min, and Chasey 13? WTF?

Vanek is lazy. great hands, but lazy. i would be all for trading him for a stud defensive defenceman.

Dehaan looked great. my only concern is his health. PLEASE stay healthy!

i really think KO has turned the corner. he just seems so much more comfortable. confident.

AMac still with some brutal give aways. he needs to go back to KISS. too fancy sometimes.

i wonder where Strome will fit in?

Why did Martin play so few minutes?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
if JT continues his amazing face-off play as of late, do you consider using him on the PK in the FOGO role (lacrosse terminology meaning face off get off)?
Hmmm. Seemed like JT won a lot of face offs. NHL stats had him at 45% (9w 11L) after being 73% in Anaheim. Needs to pick it up.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The next game against PHX could very well be the turning point of our season. It is a MUST WIN. We would finally get this thing called momentum.. Going 2-3 on this road trip wouldn't be bad at all. Maybe Strome
Provides some secondary scoring.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ

I don't feel he is. When a young player comes up, I like to focus on them, even when they're not on the puck. Nelson plays smart postional hockey, when he gets the puck, he uses his body well to shield it from the defender (and he'll only get stronger and better), he's also one of the few Islanders that I notice, that actually goes to the front of the net and he battles well when he's in that position. I think he may develop into the Islanders best player not named John Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad