GDT: #31| New York Islanders @ Anaheim Ducks | December 9th | 10:00pm | F/L 5-2

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Vanek is looking for team high $8m per year, he was traded here in exchange for a fan favorite and 2 high draft picks, and the team has gone a staggering 4-13-2 since he arrived. He is VERY FAIRLY under the microscope

Which would be fine IF you didn't decide you hated the trade before Vanek even laced up the skates for the Isles. Don't try to act as if you're actually assessing his play or anything. You hated the move almost immediately after it happened. All this losing streak has done is somehow reinforced your pre-judgement of the trade. Let's ignore the devastating injuries to the defense and goaltending, and the fact that this team wasn't even playing that well before the injuries happened. The coincidence of the trade and the beginning of the losing streak can only mean that Vanek is the cause of it all! There can be no other possible explanation.

Last edited:

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Which would be fine IF you didn't decide you hated the trade before Vanek even laced up the skates for the Isles. Don't try to act as if you're actually assessing his play or anything. You hated the move almost immediately after it happened. All this losing streak has done is somehow reinforced your pre-judgement of the trade. Let's ignore the devastating injuries to the defense and goaltending, and the fact that this team wasn't even playing that well before the injuries happened. The coincidence of the trade and the beginning of the losing streak can only mean that Vanek is the cause of it all! There can be no other possible explanation.

That is factually untrue. I was very positive about the trade the night it happened and into the rangers game... That slowly crossed into cautious optimism then passed by displeased and landed on full blown pessimism when I settled on the position that Vanek is only here as a temporary band aid because Wang/Snow refused to pay moulson a due raise

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
How quickly ye forget how good Bailey was with FN and KO last year. There was no reason to break up that line except Garth Blow brought in PMB to play 1st line wing which was DOA and it forced the break up of that line

That's on Capuano, not Garth. He sets the lineup and runs the bench, lines, PP.

On Vanek, he is far better than Moulson but not what this Isles team needs and certainly not for David Clarkson money. I hope they trade him.

I knew he was a floater and he is just that. He's just a very talented one that still doesn't fit with the team, poor chemistry with JT. But they are producing.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
That is factually untrue. I was very positive about the trade the night it happened and into the rangers game... That slowly crossed into cautious optimism then passed by displeased and landed on full blown pessimism when I settled on the position that Vanek is only here as a temporary band aid because Wang/Snow refused to pay moulson a due raise

Not at all true. Immediately after the trade, you said you didn't know how you felt. Hours later, you said turned on the trade as Ranger fan co-workers were ragging on you about it. I even made a joke wondering what took you so long to hate it. You've never displayed even a shred of optimism regarding this trade.

But hating the trade is very different from hating the player. I can perfectly understand why some may frown about the trade because of what was given up to acquire a player who may walk away after the season, especially when there were more glaring areas that needed to be addressed. But your posts barely even touch upon this. Instead, you resort to "clever" plays on words like "Vanish" and the relentless harping on about how this trade has been the cause of the downfall of the whole season.

And really, even that would be fine if you actually contributed more to this board these days besides your anti-Vanek rhetoric. But, like Brooklyn a few months ago, this is your new agenda, and your belief is that if you repeat something enough times, it will become truth. Except, that most posters here aren't so quick to make knee-jerk judgements like yourself. Most actually take the time to wait and see how things turn out over the long run.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
That's on Capuano, not Garth. He sets the lineup and runs the bench, lines, PP.

On Vanek, he is far better than Moulson but not what this Isles team needs and certainly not for David Clarkson money. I hope they trade him.

I knew he was a floater and he is just that. He's just a very talented one that still doesn't fit with the team, poor chemistry with JT. But they are producing.

well thats the rub. I agree with everyone who says Vanek is better than Moulson... but on the budget this team functions on the difference in 1st line production between Vanek and moulson (especially with the PP taking a step back) is not worth the extra 2.5 - 3M that could be spent on G, D, or secondary scoring.

If the Islanders functioned like a real team ideally you could have both Vanek and Moulson...

Moulson - Tavares - Strome/Nelson
Vanek - Strome/Nelson - Grabner
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Are four lines that could matchup with any in the NHL... and we could have those right now if Snow held onto Moulson and dealt different (win later) assets to get Vanek

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Not at all true. Immediately after the trade, you said you didn't know how you felt. Hours later, you said turned on the trade as Ranger fan co-workers were ragging on you about it. I even made a joke wondering what took you so long to hate it. You've never displayed even a shred of optimism regarding this trade.

But hating the trade is very different from hating the player. I can perfectly understand why some may frown about the trade because of what was given up to acquire a player who may walk away after the season, especially when there were more glaring areas that needed to be addressed. But your posts barely even touch upon this. Instead, you resort to "clever" plays on words like "Vanish" and the relentless harping on about how this trade has been the cause of the downfall of the whole season.

And really, even that would be fine if you actually contributed more to this board these days besides your anti-Vanek rhetoric. But, like Brooklyn a few months ago, this is your new agenda, and your belief is that if you repeat something enough times, it will become truth. Except, that most posters here aren't so quick to make knee-jerk judgements like yourself. Most actually take the time to wait and see how things turn out over the long run.

Come to think of it you are right, that's true. I was pretty optimistic about it night 1 when I heard about it during my fantasy BBAll draft but started to sour the next day at work. It's all semantics, when I saw it for what it was I turned on it. I guess I should have stuck my fingers in my ears and sang "lalalalalalalalala" to block out all those nagging thoughts that Vanek was just the strawman used to cover the unwillingness of the organization to pony up and pay Moulson.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I'm not ready to give up!
I would like to see Bailey in PP1 and play with Tavares before I give up.
And Bailey is more talented than Comeau.

LOL You gotta let it go bro.. 5 yrs and a new contract worth more then he deserves. If that does not lite a fire under your butt then I dont know what does??

Josh Bailey is overrated and terrible

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
LOL You gotta let it go bro.. 5 yrs and a new contract worth more then he deserves. If that does not lite a fire under your butt then I dont know what does??

Josh Bailey is overrated and terrible
It's your opinion and I disagree with. Don't you remember how Bailey play well last year with Nielsen and Okposo and how well he played during the series against the Pens on a line with... Tavares!

Not ready to give up yet.
I would like to see this roster with a much better coaching staff before I give up on any player.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
It's your opinion and I disagree with. Don't you remember how Bailey play well last year with Nielsen and Okposo and how well he played during the series against the Pens on a line with... Tavares!

Not ready to give up yet.
I would like to see this roster with a much better coaching staff before I give up on any player.

Agree with this, if josh can find consistency in his play he could be a good NHLer, his issue is he's just not anything close to consistent.

As for burning garth over the Vanek trade, for YEARS we were saying how badly we needed a legit winger for Tavares. We now have that (on a rental, yes) but it was an issue that was addressed. I get that there are more holes that need to be filled (D, goalie, coach, GM) but at least we got something..if more moves arent made within the next 2 weeks the season is lost.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I guess I should have stuck my fingers in my ears and sang "lalalalalalalalala" to block out all those nagging thoughts that Vanek was just the strawman used to cover the unwillingness of the organization to pony up and pay Moulson.

This is also a valid concern and some of your previous posts have alluded to it. I'm not sure whether I agree or not. Let's see what Moulson gets on the market this summer and decide whether or not it would've been worth that money to retain him. Also, let's see what they offer Vanek (assuming they don't deal him off first), and see if the issue is the unwillingness to spend in general or the unwillingness to spend too much on the wrong player.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
This is also a valid concern and some of your previous posts have alluded to it. I'm not sure whether I agree or not. Let's see what Moulson gets on the market this summer and decide whether or not it would've been worth that money to retain him. Also, let's see what they offer Vanek (assuming they don't deal him off first), and see if the issue is the unwillingness to spend in general or the unwillingness to spend too much on the wrong player.

good point, we really don't know what the story/motive behind it all is until we see how the upcoming deadline and contract negotiations play out.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I still like the vanek trade and I think he's playing well, a bit lazy but well, I just think we should have gotten a goalie or dman instead because that was where we were hurting and now it is showing

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Only eight more straight losses to go to break the all time record for overall consecutive losses in the regular season held by the 1974–75 Washington Capitals, and 1992–1993 San Jose Sharks.

Looking at our 8 upcoming games, it very well could become reality;

San Jose
Phoenix
Montreal
Tampa bay
Rangers
Anaheim
Detroit
Devils

:help:

Ad

Upcoming events