30th anniversary of the 1986 NYR Playoff Run!

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Duguay also returned to the Rangers, I think in '88. He wore 44 if I remember, definitely wasn't 10.

I remember being sick as a kid watching Mike McEwen win Cups with the Islanders. Similar to watching Hagelin now.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Duguay also returned to the Rangers, I think in '88. He wore 44 if I remember, definitely wasn't 10.

I remember being sick as a kid watching Mike McEwen win Cups with the Islanders. Similar to watching Hagelin now.

Yeah Doogs, Lucien DeBlois, and Pat Hickey all came back to us later in their careers after they passed their primes.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Came back in the 86-87 season. Stuck around through 88, when he was traded for Mark Hardy.

Remember him coming back then because my father got a kidney stone attack the night Duguay played his first game back, about a week before the Giants Super Bowl. It was against Vancouver out there. I had to stay awake for any news about my dad, and remember getting annoyed at Duguay repeatedly. He did wear #44.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
DeBlois was another one I couldn't stand. Me and a friend in high school used to call him HeBlows.

I remember he did not seem that good when he was a younger Ranger but then did pretty well after we traded him. I remember some people in the organization liked him.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I remember Hickey coming back and being really happy, he was also a favorite of mine. I believe McEwen was back briefly in '86 but didn't play much, if at all.

DuBlois played on what I think was their top line when he came back, with Kisio and Ogrodnick. Could be wrong on that one.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I remember Hickey coming back and being really happy, he was also a favorite of mine. I believe McEwen was back briefly in '86 but didn't play much, if at all.

DuBlois played on what I think was their top line when he came back, with Kisio and Ogrodnick. Could be wrong on that one.

I thought Brian Mullen played with them some as well but my memory is not great.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I thought Brian Mullen played with them some as well but my memory is not great.

He did, you're memory is fine. That might have been after LD retired? But you are right, Ogrodnick, Kisio, Mullen was a line.

I remember another Rangers team in the 80s having three 40 goal scorers. I think they were Podubny, Sandstrom and Tony McKegney.

EDIT: It was just Sandstrom and Podubny. McKegney "only" had 29 for them.

Amazing with that Ridley trade....he had 36 points in 38 games at the time of the trade...Dionne and Carpenter, basically who he and Miller were sent away for, had 20 combined in 42 games.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah that was Mullen.

He did, you're memory is fine. That might have been after LD retired? But you are right, Ogrodnick, Kisio, Mullen was a line.

I remember another Rangers team in the 80s having three 40 goal scorers. I think they were Podubny, Sandstrom and Tony McKegney.

EDIT: It was just Sandstrom and Podubny. McKegney "only" had 29 for them.

Amazing with that Ridley trade....he had 36 points in 38 games at the time of the trade...Dionne and Carpenter, basically who he and Miller were sent away for, had 20 combined in 42 games.

I always thought Brian Mullen was a bit underrated because he was not as productive as his brother (Joey). Brian was a legit 20 goal-50 point player many years. Its a shame he had to retire before he wanted to retire.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I always thought Brian Mullen was a bit underrated because he was not as productive as his brother (Joey). Brian was a legit 20 goal-50 point player many years. Its a shame he had to retire before he wanted to retire.

When I see Matt Cullen in the Pens throwbacks, all I think of is Joey Mullen. Great player, one of my favorites (non Ranger), hated when he went to Pitt..

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
I think you have the games mixed up. That banner was unveiled in December of '87. I was sitting in the Reds on the opposite end of the ice also. It was the first time the Flyers were visiting MSG since the game where Brown crosschecked Tomas Sandstrom in the throat earlier that season. Brown was suspended about 7 games IIRC.

Maybe it happened again in 87 but it was Game 3 1986 playoffs. Brown had taken a run at Beezer in Philly.

Very game McPhee beat up Tocchet.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Was watching NHL Network the other day, randomly flipped by. They had on the 1980 All Star Game. Starting defense for the Campbell were Greschner and McEwen, who was on the Rockies by then.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Was watching NHL Network the other day, randomly flipped by. They had on the 1980 All Star Game. Starting defense for the Campbell were Greschner and McEwen, who was on the Rockies by then.

I do not have the NHL network. I would have loved to have seen that game.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
I got to hang with George McPhee several times at his Resto Blue Moon Cafe he was really chill...Me and the boys would go at least once a month and mostly George was there it was really cool talking to him about fighting Brown and Tochett he would show us his hands and they were a mangled mess...His best friends were James Patrick and Gresh...The bar in the place had like 4 stools and he tended bar when we went it was freaking awesome..Not snobby totally was into talking hockey with us

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Found these links on Youtube.

I was wrong, it was Kelly Miller, not Erixon, who shot a goal thru the net. It was Game 1, not Game 5. You can see that in the 2nd part. As bad as Espo was as a GM, you had to love him as the color guy. He openly rooted for the Rags, plus he was pretty astute. He called the puck going thru the net instantly. :nod:

Part 3 shows Dave Brown running Beezer. Watching the 1st place Flyers devolve into goonery with the score is so lopsided is a bygone era of the NHL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4sBu7oR2BQ#t=5.468312

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPHG2cd68ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YilvIrJl0fQ

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY

I was wrong, it was Kelly Miller, not Erixon, who shot a goal thru the net. It was Game 1, not Game 5. You can see that in the 2nd part. As bad as Espo was as a GM, you had to love him as the color guy. He openly rooted for the Rags, plus he was pretty astute. He called the puck going thru the net instantly. :nod:

Part 3 shows Dave Brown running Beezer. Watching the 1st place Flyers devolve into goonery with the score is so lopsided is a bygone era of the NHL.

That was good stuff. I loved Larry Melnyk. Team guy through and through.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I though Espo was one of the best color guys we ever had. He loved this team. I wish he stayed with us.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I do not have the NHL network. I would have loved to have seen that game.

The NHLN is pretty disappointing overall, lots of the same stuff over and over and over, I don't put it on much, but once in awhile you get something like this. It was played in Detroit and it was Gordie Howe's last ASG.

The Rangers were represented by Greschner and Espo, who was a replacement for Anders Hedberg. The Isles had Bossy and Trottier and by extension, Butch Goring, who wasn't traded yet by the Kings. The Flyers had a ton of players represented.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I though Espo was one of the best color guys we ever had. He loved this team. I wish he stayed with us.

I agree. Going from Espo to JD was like going from Petyon Manning to Andrew Luck.

He use to do a thing between periods called, "Espo on Ice." One of the things he said that stuck with me when I played hockey (deck, roller and ice, all rec stuff), was when you have an empty net, don't just push the puck across the line, fire it in like there is a goalie there. Don't take a chance, make sure it goes in.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree. Going from Espo to JD was like going from Petyon Manning to Andrew Luck.

He use to do a thing between periods called, "Espo on Ice." One of the things he said that stuck with me when I played hockey (deck, roller and ice, all rec stuff), was when you have an empty net, don't just push the puck across the line, fire it in like there is a goalie there. Don't take a chance, make sure it goes in.

Espn on ice was awesome. I remember when he destroyed Mike Eurzione in a shooting competition. That is when I realized how great a shooter Esposito was.

Did you play deck hockey near Centerreach? Does deck hockey still exist?

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Espn on ice was awesome. I remember when he destroyed Mike Eurzione in a shooting competition. That is when I realized how great a shooter Esposito was.

Did you play deck hockey near Centerreach? Does deck hockey still exist?

Yup, I played at Centereach. I played at them all. Oakdale, Miller Place, East Setauket. We went to tournaments and things like that. We were pretty good, had some known players in the deck hockey "world."

There is still deck hockey. Farmingdale has a rink, but that is a dump. It hasn't been updated I would guess since the 90s. And there are a couple of indoor places...Smithtown Arena and Sport Time in Nassau, that play deck. A lot of the old school deck players are in Smithown. I've been asked to play there but I hung up my gear. The idea of playing an ice game on a Sunday night at 11 in Syosset just isn't appealing anymore, let alone a deck hockey game.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to the 80s Rangers...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad