30th anniversary of the 1986 NYR Playoff Run!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
They really got nothing for Miller and Ridley.

At least Sandstrom went for Nichols who went for Messier.

But if they had kept Miller and Ridley, with Leetch and Richter coming in a few years later and Amonte and Weight a few years after that, you can really go into some wonderful pipe-dream scenarios.

They got Bobby Carpenter who looked amazing early in his career as a Capital. I remember I was really impressed with him as a player watching him in person one game. I think he hurt his knee and never was the same player after that injury but my memory is not sure.

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
Never forget being in Blue Seats across the arena from the infamous Brown: Eat Sh## and Die banner dropped right after the national anthem finished. Place went NUTS!

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Loved seeing these games during the 2005 lockout. This was a few years before I started watching, but I remember people talking about it. Big topic in NY back then. A few thoughts to add to this thread that may or may not have been mentioned:

-Once a decade or two a city will just have one of "Those Years" in sports where all the stars align. 1986 was one of those years in NY. This was the "Opening Band" along with Ewing completing his first full season to the Mets and Giants. Also worth noting that year, the Yankees would have made the Playoffs if there was a Wild Card, and the Jets were one Roughing The Passer penalty away from playing the Broncos in the AFC Title game.

-Ted Sator was a highly sought after assistant who had worked for Mike Keenan on the Flyers bench.

-Reg Higgs recommended Ridley to the coaching staff and Craig Patrick.

-I met Beezer in the summer of 1991 and even after winning the Patrick Division in 1989-90 and the influx of youth that was about to come in (Weight, Amonte, Nemchinov) that playoff run and especially beating the Flyers really meant something to him.

-We all talk about injuries and personnel but a few things to think about; how different this run is if Pelle Lindberg was still alive. Bengt Gustafsson who was a terrific defensive forward who could score (think Jurri Lethonnen or Loui Errikson on Dallas) missed the entire playoffs that year for Washington.

-If Beck was healthy (Sator would not let him get back in that series when doctors cleared him to play for the ECF).

-Wilf Paiment who was at the end of his career played a big part in that run for the Rangers

-They sent Rogers, Hanlon, Fotiu, and LaRouche to the minors to start that season. It angered the vets.

-Sator didn't like Pavlich's quiet demeanor.

-If NHL rules were what they are today, Rangers would have drafted prob like #18 by reaching the ECF and no Leetch. I remember hearing in interviews, think with Helberg or maybe Patrick that they were thinking of drafting George Pelawa who would die in a boating accident.

-Sator's fate was sealed when Patrick left and Esposito took over. With that personality and tension, no way he was going to last.

-To the poster who mentioned it earlier, the 80s was a weird time in Rangers history. They weren't really run like a NY team in that they had no true superstar or marquee player of the time. They didn't even have a "name" until Dionne/LaFleur joined at the end of the decade. Closest were Hedberg and Beck in the first half, and Sandstorm and Beezer in the second. So think like the 2010-11 Rangers with Niklas Backstroke in net....all decade. Still despite playing in a division with the powerhouse Islanders and Flyers, they still made it to two ECFs and qualified for the playoffs 9/10 years. If JD was hot and healthy in 1981 and not 1979, they win the Cup.

-This was year two of a rebuild. A lot of transitional guys on this roster who were kinda journeymen or didn't last long in the NHL. Bob Brooke, Raimo Helminen, Brian MaCLellan who was considered a bust at that point to name a few. Kjel Samuelson was an older rookie who didn't have a pedigree. Larry Melnyk who they got from the Oilers I believe for Mike Rogers. Most of this team even the younger guys (except Ridley and Miller of course) weren't in the league by like 1990 so this team had a Moneyball kind of approach to it.

-An interesting parallel but a lot of guys on that team who were homegrown Rangers and a little older had a lot of miles on them and were at the end of their careers from all the late 70s/early 80s runs. Tom Laidlaw/Ron Greschner then were pretty much where Girardi and Staal are now. You could make an argument that Don Maloney who was only 26 (and looked about 35 watching those videos) was where Cally is now with Tampa.

-Richter was actually a second round pick in 1985

-Guy LaFluer should be considered a hero amongst Ranger fans. While he was past his prime, Neil Smith let him go and that was the days before true UFA so the Rangers got a comp pick and drafted Sergei Zubov with it. :yo:

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Just joined the site a few weeks ago & came across this thread. The '86 playoff run was the first positive Ranger experience I could fully revel in....until Patrick Roy abruptly ended it. I remember watching the '79 finals, but I was 7 so it was a fog.

So many memories of the Flyers & Caps series. I wasn't expecting much from the Blushirts after the Flyers manhandled us in the '85 playoffs. Tim Kerr just scored at will. Back in those days, games 1&2 then 3&4 were on back to back nights with a travel day in between.

The only close game in the Philly series was Game 2. Every other game was a route. I thought we blew our shot in Game 4 when we came out flat & got steamrolled at home 7-1. (sounds a lot like the current blueshirts). Somehow they went back to Philly & dominated Game 5. Jan Erixon scored a goal that went through the net. I was shocked that it actually counted! :amazed:

There's two things that really stand out from the Caps series. In OT of Game 1, just before Brian MacClellan scored the winner, before the camera could cut to the breakway, Espo on TV yells out "Sam, he's in". Split second later you see MacClellan streaking down the middle of the ice with no one around him. I wanted to hug Espo!

The other thing I'll never forget was how loud the Garden crowd was for the anthem in Game 6. Even on TV it was so obvious that it was deafening. I was so jealous of anyone who got to go to that game. When Ridley scored shorthanded to make it 1-0, I thought the roof was gonna come off the garden. :handclap:

Never forget being in Blue Seats across the arena from the infamous Brown: Eat Sh## and Die banner dropped right after the national anthem finished. Place went NUTS!

I think you have the games mixed up. That banner was unveiled in December of '87. I was sitting in the Reds on the opposite end of the ice also. It was the first time the Flyers were visiting MSG since the game where Brown crosschecked Tomas Sandstrom in the throat earlier that season. Brown was suspended about 7 games IIRC.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Some real good talent on that team. What a disaster Esposito was. Traded Ridley, Miller, Gagner, Tinordi, Kjell, all for garbage. The Carpenter trade evaluation isn't really hindsight either, considering Carpenter was already diminished when we acquired him and Ridley's potential was through the roof.

Esposito's drafts were crap too. From 87-89, the only standout player he took was Amonte. Drafted Jay More 10th OA with Joe f***n Sakic on the board going a few spots later (so for all who complained about taking McIlrath at 10th with Tarasenko right there, that wasn't even our greatest 10 OA reach in franchise history).

Worst GM in modern Rangers history.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some real good talent on that team. What a disaster Esposito was. Traded Ridley, Miller, Gagner, Tinordi, Kjell, all for garbage. The Carpenter trade evaluation isn't really hindsight either, considering Carpenter was already diminished when we acquired him and Ridley's potential was through the roof.

Esposito's drafts were crap too. From 87-89, the only standout player he took was Amonte. Drafted Jay More 10th OA with Joe f***n Sakic on the board going a few spots later (so for all who complained about taking McIlrath at 10th with Tarasenko right there, that wasn't even our greatest 10 OA reach in franchise history).
I have always said that those teams were a hair away from being great. The hair being Espo trading everything away.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I had a chat with Ron Greschner in a bar on 14th street a couple of years ago. He said that he enjoyed being on the road because (for reasons that are unclear to me) it was less tempting to go out and party. He did insinuate that the '86 Rangers were pretty much to a man hung over for game 5 against MTL. I guess they gave up?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Three words:

Michel Bergeron Trade.

I just made no sense. Espo was terrible.

The Bobby Carpenter trade will bother me forever. I loved Ridley and Miller. Who didn't? Miller probably ended up BETTER than expected. Ridley scored 22 goals his rookie year. To this day, the Carpenter trade is the worst trade in franchise history. It made no sense at the time. New Year's Day 1987, Christmas break was over and the Rangers traded Ridley and Miller for Carpenter. Talk about depressing!

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I just made no sense. Espo was terrible.

The Bobby Carpenter trade will bother me forever. I loved Ridley and Miller. Who didn't? Miller probably ended up BETTER than expected. Ridley scored 22 goals his rookie year. To this day, the Carpenter trade is the worst trade in franchise history. It made no sense at the time. New Year's Day 1987, Christmas break was over and the Rangers traded Ridley and Miller for Carpenter. Talk about depressing!

The Carpenter trade was worse than Middleton/Hodge?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
List or worst Rangers trades (two are immediately after this playoff run)

1. Zubov
2. Middleton
3. Ridley/Miller
4. Norstron/LaPerriere/+
5. Syl Apps Jr
6. Moose Dupont
7. Kjell Samuelson
8. Bergeron
9. Tinordi
10. Aaron Miller

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Carpenter trade was worse than Middleton/Hodge?

The Middleton trade was worse. Mike Ridley was a good player but Rick Middleton was good for 40-50 goals and 90-100 points every year for around 5-6 years on Boston. During one tournament Gretzky said something like Middleton was the best player in the tournament.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
The Middleton trade was worse. Mike Ridley was a good player but Rick Middleton was good for 40-50 goals and 90-100 points every year for around 5-6 years on Boston. During one tournament Gretzky said something like Middleton was the best player in the tournament.

Just did a quick check, and Middleton scored almost 900 points as a Bruin and 100 more in the playoffs.

That is unforgivable.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
List or worst Rangers trades (two are immediately after this playoff run)
1. Zubov
2. Middleton
3. Ridley/Miller
4. Norstrom/LaPerriere/+
5. Syl Apps Jr
6. Moose Dupont
7. Kjell Samuelson
8. Bergeron
9. Tinordi
10. Aaron Miller

This list is pretty accurate, tho i would put the Zubie trade 4th, at least Luc and Ulf were contributors

The Middleton and Carpenter trades are def the top 2 worst in my years,
and

the Norstrom deal was nauseating - its what i fear will happen with McIlrath

here are details of some of the more obscure/forgotten ones

November 15, 1971
St. Louis Blues acquire Andre Dupont, Jack Egers, Mike Murphy (3 guys = 1927 NHL games)
New York Rangers acquire Gene Carr. Wayne Connelly Jim Lorentz

1988-Oct-11 Mark Tinordi (663 games) Traded from New York Rangers with Brett Barnett, Paul Jerrard and round 3 pick in the 1989 draft (Murray Garbutt)
to Minnesota North Stars for Rick Bennett, Brian Lawton and Igor Liba

January 26, 1971
Pittsburgh Penguins acquire Syl Apps Jr (727 games, 606 pts)
New York Rangers acquire, Sheldon Kannegiesser, Glen Sather

1986-Dec-18 Kjell Samuelsson (813 NHL games)Traded from New York Rangers with round 2 pick in the 1989 draft (Patrik Juhlin) to Philadelphia Flyers for Bob Froese

1991-Jan-17 Aaron Miller (677 NHL games) Traded from New York Rangers with round 5 pick in the 1991 draft (Bill Lindsay) to Quebec Nordiques for Joe Cirella

1996-Mar-14 Mattias Norstrom (903 games) Traded from New York Rangers with Ray Ferraro, Nathan LaFayette, Ian Laperriere and round 4 pick in the 1997 draft to Los Angeles Kings for Shane Churla, Jari Kurri and Marty McSorley

Prior to the 1987 entry draft the Quebec Nordiques traded their coach Michel Bergeron to the New York Rangers for the Rangers 1st round pick - 15th overall.
The Nordiques then used the 15th pick to select Joe Sakic (no stats needed...)

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I had a chat with Ron Greschner in a bar on 14th street a couple of years ago. He said that he enjoyed being on the road because (for reasons that are unclear to me) it was less tempting to go out and party. He did insinuate that the '86 Rangers were pretty much to a man hung over for game 5 against MTL. I guess they gave up?

Esposito pretty much said the same thing happened in Montreal in the 1979 Cup Finals

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00