30th anniversary of the 1986 NYR Playoff Run!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What stands out to me, in hindsight, was how young that team was on the whole. Greschner was really the only regular who was over 30 (and he was 30). Larouche turned 30 during the season.

But guys like Tomas Sandtrom, James Patrick, Beezer and Mike Ridley were all under the age of 22. Even Don Maloney, who I always considered to be old, was only 26.
That team had a lot of potential. Not big enough (especially for that era), but when you look at who was on that team and who was stupidly traded off.....Kelly Miller, Mike Ridley, Kjell Samulessen, Dave Gagner.

Mike Richter was drafted that year. If they had only held on, that team could have really been something in a few years.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Very shy, doesn't talk much, especially about hockey, but he seemed good. Told us he hadn't picked up a stick in 15 years, then went out on the ice and was absolutely mesmerizing. His skating, puckhandling and vision was amazing to see up close.

He was always very shy so that is not surprising. I wish you had some video. That sounds amazing. If it is not too personal can you let us know what that cost?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm super jealous. I was a big Pav fan. I know he has had some hard times. How did he seem? Is he doing okay?

I had mentioned in another thread that in 2012 I was a delegate to the Republican Convention in Tampa. North Carolina and Minnesota shared a hotel. The party on the second night was at the St. Petersburg Yacht club. I got talking with a few of the Minnesota delegates. One was there with her daughter from Eveleth (Pavelich's home town). Naturally got on the topic of hockey. The girl knows Pavelich as his niece went to school with her. She had been to his house. Said he's a bit weird in that he is very, very reserved, very private. Mother says that everyone knows him, but nobody actually knows him, meaning he has very few close, if any real friends. It's not that he's unfriendly or hermit like (which was a rumor on why he didn't attend the 20th anniversary of the Lake Placid gold); he just is an extremely private person.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I had mentioned in another thread that in 2012 I was a delegate to the Republican Convention in Tampa. North Carolina and Minnesota shared a hotel. The party on the second night was at the St. Petersburg Yacht club. I got talking with a few of the Minnesota delegates. One was there with her daughter from Eveleth (Pavelich's home town). Naturally got on the topic of hockey. The girl knows Pavelich as his niece went to school with her. She had been to his house. Said he's a bit weird in that he is very, very reserved, very private. Mother says that everyone knows him, but nobody actually knows him, meaning he has very few close, if any real friends. It's not that he's unfriendly or hermit like (which was a rumor on why he didn't attend the 20th anniversary of the Lake Placid gold); he just is an extremely private person.

Those are the types of things I have also heard for a while. I believe his lost his wife a few years ago in an accident. :(

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
He was always very shy so that is not surprising. I wish you had some video. That sounds amazing. If it is not too personal can you let us know what that cost?

The camp cost a little more then 5k. It was an incredible experience and worth every penny. The guys from the 80 team are awesome.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That team had a lot of potential. Not big enough (especially for that era), but when you look at who was on that team and who was stupidly traded off.....Kelly Miller, Mike Ridley, Kjell Samulessen, Dave Gagner.

Mike Richter was drafted that year. If they had only held on, that team could have really been something in a few years.

They really got nothing for Miller and Ridley.

At least Sandstrom went for Nichols who went for Messier.

But if they had kept Miller and Ridley, with Leetch and Richter coming in a few years later and Amonte and Weight a few years after that, you can really go into some wonderful pipe-dream scenarios.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But if they had kept Miller and Ridley, with Leetch and Richter coming in a few years later and Amonte and Weight a few years after that, you can really go into some wonderful pipe-dream scenarios.
Yeah. One can rapidly see why one of the oldest franchises has such a sterling record of success.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

You consider a season and a half of an over the hill Marcel Dionne nothing? LOL

Don't forget Tony Granato's year in 1988-89.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
This week marks the 30th Anniversary of the 1986 NYR's playoff run, one of the best in my lifetime.

The 86 Rangers barely snuck into the playoffs. A very inconsistent team, they went 6-10-4 in their last twenty. The Penguins just missed catching us at the end, we made the playoffs with 78 points. Pierre Larouche, our top goal scorer was sent to the minors that year because of his lazy play and attitude, then he was recalled and was like a different player.

In round one we faced the Flyers, Eastern Conference Champs two years running, finalists the year before, their run down the stretch was 14-4-3.

We beat them in a huge upset.

Next round was Washington, having their best year ever, 2nd in division and their streak at the end of the season was 24-8-3.

Again, we beat them in a huge upset, 6 games.

I think this Anniversary is a good Omen going into this years playoffs :yo:

That was a great run. I remember Brian McLelland most of all on that team. :handclap:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
My husband is from Eveleth and his sister went to high school with "Markie" Pavelich. She was in love with him. LOL! He was a big star in his school, of course.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Please. That just makes it all the more painful.

The Esposito years are painful, but are mitigated by the eventual Cup a few years later.

The season that hurts the most is 1987-88. Not that it was my senior year in high school and I was going to get the playoff games as a graduation gift (uncle was a STH), but that team was playing some incredible hockey in the second half of the season. Then Leetch came after the Olympics, and that team looked like it had a chance to do something in the playoffs. Finish 10th overall and get jobbed out of the playoffs...

The next year is wacky defined. Get off to an absolutely incredible start. Sign another stupidly old guy in Guy Lafleur, who actually was pretty productive. Team looks like it may finally win a division. Early February Saturday night in Montreal, Guy Lafleur scores a goal that brings back the memories of years past to put the Rangers up by 3 goals. Canadiens come roaring back to win, and the Ranger season goes south from there. Lose their last six in a row and get swept by Pittsburgh...game 4 Mike Richter appearance.

Espo fired. Neil Smith comes in and cleans up the mess. Brian Leetch injured with ten games to go, still win the division. Embarrass the Islanders, and then John Druce happens.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Just not accurate.

Wasn't he known as a guy who can skate who had a big shot from the point? I remember him getting shifts on the wing because of his speed.

Maybe I mis-remember. But I'm sure I don't. He was considered one of the best skaters in the NHL at the time and had a hard, but hardly accurate, shot.

So yeah...I'm accurate on what I said.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007

The Ridley/Miller trade was all-world bad. I remember Esposito saying how many faceoffs Bobby Carpenter would win. Should have been fired off that deal alone.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Wasn't he known as a guy who can skate who had a big shot from the point? I remember him getting shifts on the wing because of his speed.

Maybe I mis-remember. But I'm sure I don't. He was considered one of the best skaters in the NHL at the time and had a hard, but hardly accurate, shot.

So yeah...I'm accurate on what I said.

Sorry. I mean he shot wasn't accurate.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Whose rights were traded for a pick we used to select Callahan ;)

*Bob Richards*

I should read into the Rangers teams of the 80s more. Maybe it's just my youth speaking, but I feel like I really don't hear enough about the teams they iced especially the one with the surprise run in '86. I can only imagine how awesome it must have been to witness that. They just ran into arguably the greatest goalie of all time.

I know I have a 75th Rangers Anniversary book around my house somewhere. It documents a ton of the team's history.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Esposito years are painful, but are mitigated by the eventual Cup a few years later.

The season that hurts the most is 1987-88. Not that it was my senior year in high school and I was going to get the playoff games as a graduation gift (uncle was a STH), but that team was playing some incredible hockey in the second half of the season. Then Leetch came after the Olympics, and that team looked like it had a chance to do something in the playoffs. Finish 10th overall and get jobbed out of the playoffs...

The next year is wacky defined. Get off to an absolutely incredible start. Sign another stupidly old guy in Guy Lafleur, who actually was pretty productive. Team looks like it may finally win a division. Early February Saturday night in Montreal, Guy Lafleur scores a goal that brings back the memories of years past to put the Rangers up by 3 goals. Canadiens come roaring back to win, and the Ranger season goes south from there. Lose their last six in a row and get swept by Pittsburgh...game 4 Mike Richter appearance.

Espo fired. Neil Smith comes in and cleans up the mess. Brian Leetch injured with ten games to go, still win the division. Embarrass the Islanders, and then John Druce happens.
You bring up all things that still hurt. Lafluer aside. The signing was endemic of the way the organization ran. But he actually played well.

Druce? Well, I still can hear the goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad