Post-Game Talk: #30: Senators 3 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019, 1 pm ET [Konecny UBI]

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What a surprising take. Anything to go against the grain, I guess.
Yeah, really “against the grain” to say I loved Pronger & his antics & that I like a team known as the “Broad Street Bullies” to have a couple dirty players.

But I suppose you railed against Pronger’s cheap shots & are part of the alleged majority of Flyers fans who prefer a completely clean team. :rolleyes:

Reactions: LorneMalvo and JXC

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, just like how Flyers fans cheered for Gudas for four seasons.
8403a99fff6e428818bf51cb602e5a0a.png

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
One simple question: Did you root for Pronger or not?

And Gudas, Richards, Carcillo, Rinaldo... I enjoyed watching most of that group at their most controversial periods until I realized the consequences of their reckless play.

I don't have the same respect for Utley and Hamels as I did, either.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
In 2019 and almost 2020, why do so many people still want to call the Flyers "The Broad Street Bullies" and reference a nickname given to guys who played in the 70's?

Get with the times. Let the past go.
Like it or not, the most successful period of this team’s history revolved around a rebellious persona, cutthroat leader, & a fiery owner who vowed to never be pushed around again.

I like that. I don’t like the businessmen drones Hextall accumulated.

I’m not saying the Flyers should be the Broad Street Bullies anymore. The league has taken that away. But I believe team identities exist. And I think the Flyers are best with a tough identity. It’s why Vigneault can say “Be a f***ing Flyer” & it still holds great meaning.

Reactions: TheKingPin and JXC

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People confuse toughness with cheap shots and fighting.
To me, the toughest players are those who take hits to make plays, play through pain (though not serious injuries, that's just stupidity) and push themselves to the next level through fatigue.
Guys on this team who impress me with their "toughness": Couts, TK, Lindblom, Raffl, Farabee, Pitlick, Provorov, Niskanen, Braun.
Hitting people is part of the game, but headhunting isn't being tough, it's just being an butthole.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How has Andy Andreoff been?

In his games with his Flyers he was a solid AHL plus player, that is, a guy you could plug in the 4th line and he'd give a respectable performance, but not talented enough that you wouldn't be looking to upgrade.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i would love a Tkachuk on this team. a nasty power forward with skill is probably the missing piece for this team right now. too bad we wasted prime Simmonds.

Reactions: Johnk0728

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
i would love a Tkachuk on this team. a nasty power forward with skill is probably the missing piece for this team right now. too bad we wasted prime Simmonds.

Nasty, meh. I mean we can always dress Stewart. :sarcasm:

Physical yes, we need a power forward who can hang around the net, is hard to move and has the hands to score off rebounds.

Allison was supposed to be that guy but ???
JVR is just too finesse, which may be one reason AV put him on the fourth line, as a wakeup call, and so far he's responded.
Voracek lacks the hands or physicality for that role.
Lindblom is about the best we can do, but that's not really his thing, his game is as a two way forward who does the dirty work.

Reactions: renberg

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
And Gudas, Richards, Carcillo, Rinaldo... I enjoyed watching most of that group at their most controversial periods until I realized the consequences of their reckless play.

I don't have the same respect for Utley and Hamels as I did, either.
Placing current day morals on players from the past is dumb. Your response proves my point, you stated you enjoyed watching them at the time, so should people lose respect for you?

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
"Snowflake" is one of the most misused, overused, most annoying and iritating words in the world these days.

Generally, anyone who seriously calls someone a snowflake is the one being soft. "Oh no! Someone has an opinion that offends me! I'm offended! Better call them a snowflake!"

It's a non-rebuttal by someone unwilling or unable to think hard enough to back up a position with any kind of reason.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The Pronger who earned that reputation isn't the Pronger we watched. That was a guy who was physically crumbling and played far more of a finesse game to max out his remaining career.

I don't think thats quite true. Pronger was still a horrible POS on the ice and brutally assaulted players who dared to stand infront of the net when he played for the Flyers. It's criminal that we only got 1 and a half seasons out of him. f*** concussions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad