Post-Game Talk: #30: Senators 3 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019, 1 pm ET [Konecny UBI]

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They're confusing and a total *****. My last big one didn't hit me for like 24 hours. Slipped on some ice and bounced my head off concrete one night, still ran my little errand and came home and went to bed. Next day I was waiting for my girlfriend to get off work and stopped at a nearby bar. Halfway through one drink, the entire room started melting and I had to cover my one eye to call an Uber. Probably had on and off symptoms for a month after, from light sensitivity to nausea to irritability.

Yeah, its insane just how little we know about how they affect the human mind. Then again, it's hard to convince someone to allow you to play around inside your head while you're alive, and when you're dead, it's hard to see the impact.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I don't understand why people get worked up about this.

Opinions should be challenged. It is how coming to know things works.
The left, via schooling and teachers, has done a great job teaching the younger generations to stamp out anything they see as public sadism (and rightfully so). This isn't a political position. It's just a noted thing that happened in history (started in the 70s). Don't flame me.
But you do end up with people defending their turf and identity politics as a consequence of being taught to defend rabidly your position.

The challenge is that people treat their opinions like fact, and are seemingly unwilling to change said opinion in light of new information. It’s all about being right and whataboutism.

I guess in a perverted sense, Twitter has laid it all bare lol.

Consider the fact that there is no political off topic section here - the mods know people seem unable to discuss politics rationally. To me, that’s an unfortunate situation to have in a democracy.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah, its insane just how little we know about how they affect the human mind. Then again, it's hard to convince someone to allow you to play around inside your head while you're alive, and when you're dead, it's hard to see the impact.

Thankfully more athletes are now donating their brains postmortem and because of that, they’ve been able to see the physical changes to a concussed brain.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The challenge is that people treat their opinions like fact, and are seemingly unwilling to change said opinion in light of new information. It’s all about being right and whataboutism.

I guess in a perverted sense, Twitter has laid it all bare lol.

Consider the fact that there is no political off topic section here - the mods know people seem unable to discuss politics rationally. To me, that’s an unfortunate situation to have in a democracy.

We had a mostly non-moderated political forum which was abused by some. It was difficult and unpopular to moderate in a worldly sense. The admins -- not the mods -- opted to discontinue. Oftetnimes it got too personal, even more so than pitting fans in a team against team hockey board. If you or anyone else wants to re-open the matter it is better to use the CONTACT US feature and an admin can reply. But this should be minimized in threads such as this one currently open.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
At least the veil of secrecy is gone. It’s not a “UBI.” The team flat out called it a concussion. No speculation. Everyone can act accordingly. God the last regime was so annoying with their hush hush act.

It was a league-wide rule begun in 2008. It got much heat at the time. I remember the Carolina Hurricanes' radio announcer Chuck Kaiton, whom had a very lengthy history in hockey and whom was very respected among his peers, was among the biggest critics. The NHL felt as if it was protecting its players by limiting disclosure in part as not to run risk of opposing players taking liberties at the fallen. Some players -- one was a Cap (T.J Oshie or Brooks Orpik, I could be mistaken) compared himself to anyone else saying that person (a fan) doesn't have to reveal medical ailments publicly nor should a player. Some were less transparent. Ken Hitchcock called the edict BS in so many words. The League generally leaves it up to teams to provide info but teams cannot lie or if evidence supports that, the team would be fined. Some teams are more relaxed than others. But in the era of excessive video, it is difficult to hide or limit injuries.

Oddly and historically it was Pat Quinn who began the terms UBI and LBI when he coached Toronto. I think that dates back to 1999 at least unofficially.

Last edited:

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Yup. I hate to soapbox this again, but there are a whole hell of a lot of people who are ignorant to the idea of concussions. They aren't like typical medical issues. These aren't "well if you can move it, it's not broken" types of things. Not having immediate common signs doesnt mean it isnt severe, it just hasnt manifested itself in that way. Also, common signs arent really common at all. I know people who never experience nausea during a concussion event. Most feel dizzy or light headed, but not all. It's such a wild medical phenomenon that it's best to just not assume anything in these types of situations.

Speaking as someone who walked on a dislocated hip for about 36 hours (replacement surgery) because the orthopedist's office repeatedly advised "if you can walk on it, it's not dislocated", I take any cursory/rote advice with an entire salt mine. I would advise others to consider seriously that health workers are not miracle workers, nor are they infallible. There is a lot more that we dont know - about physiology, the universe, etc. - than we do and anyone professing unquestionable knowledge should be avoided at all costs. This includes the highly trained, the highly credentialed, and (especially) the highly self-righteous. Appropriate humility is often in short supply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad