#30 Martin Brodeur - The Retirement & Career Celebration Thread

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Goaltending sucks today. It's boring. Aside from Quick, the majority of goalies are just a copy of one another. Robotic butterfly clones. 10 to 20 years ago, you had much more variety in style. There really isn't any creativity in the position any more and it's sad.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It's tough to put into words how much a professional athlete can effect someone's life, but Marty had a huge impact on mine. I was a young goalie growing up in Chicago, and when everyone else was big Belfour fan, I rooted for Marty. I'll never forget the day when he actually wrote back to me, a letter that included a signed picture, after I sent him a letter. What a huge impact on an 8 year old kid. Luckily enough I ended up in New Jersey because of my father's job, and that is when I was truly able to appreciate him as an athlete.

You can debate all day if he was the best goalie to ever play the game, and in my opinion he was, but you can't debate how big of an impact he had on me. He was the most entertaining goalie to watch and it was truly a honor and a privilege to be able to watch him night in, and night out. He has always been the face of the game to me, and it is sad to see him hang 'em up. I wish he was able to go out on top, or with the Devils, but I'm happy he ended his career on his terms.

Thank you for all that you have done for the game of hockey, the New Jersey Devils, the fans, and myself, Marty, you will be missed!

P.S. Can't wait for the retirement ceremony, I will be there!

P.S.S. I really hope he adds to his biography.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's tough to put into words how much a professional athlete can effect someone's life, but Marty had a huge impact on mine. I was a young goalie growing up in Chicago, and when everyone else was big Belfour fan, I rooted for Marty. I'll never forget the day when he actually wrote back to me, a letter that included a signed picture, after I sent him a letter. What a huge impact on an 8 year old kid. Luckily enough I ended up in New Jersey because of my father's job, and that is when I was truly able to appreciate him as an athlete.

You can debate all day if he was the best goalie to ever play the game, and in my opinion he was, but you can't debate how big of an impact he had on me. He was the most entertaining goalie to watch and it was truly a honor and a privilege to be able to watch him night in, and night out. He has always been the face of the game to me, and it is sad to see him hang 'em up. I wish he was able to go out on top, or with the Devils, but I'm happy he ended his career on his terms.

Thank you for all that you have done for the game of hockey, the New Jersey Devils, the fans, and myself, Marty, you will be missed!

P.S. Can't wait for the retirement ceremony, I will be there!

P.S.S. I really hope he adds to his biography.

Nice post.

doc e

Bring Back Yanni
Mar 18, 2010
NJ
“It’s the value I’ve put into this organization personally and what Patrik has done. I saw Scotty (Stevens) do it and Dano (Ken Daneyko) do it,” Brodeur explained. “To me, I take a lot of pride. But things change. The younger guys are not the same anymore. You can see with Clarkie leaving and now with Kovy making this decision. A lot of guys do leave. I’m surprised that guys don’t feel like us.”

“It’s understandable for them to have a tough reaction towards (Kovalchuk),” Brodeur said. “I know what the organization went through to get him and sign him. For him just to walk away like he’s doing… The fans live and breath the Devils. They feel every player should do the same, and they’re entitled to think that. Me and Patty are great examples of living what they feel about the organization. But not everybody is like us."

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Goaltending sucks today. It's boring. Aside from Quick, the majority of goalies are just a copy of one another. Robotic butterfly clones. 10 to 20 years ago, you had much more variety in style. There really isn't any creativity in the position any more and it's sad.

Sad but true. I'm really going to miss Marty's style. The two pad stacks, the windmill saves, just the raw athleticism he showed. Plus the way he thought the game was just incredible. His ability to read the play, anticipate, and then react was special. Today's goaltending just seems so systematic and technical. Whereas with guys like Hasek and Marty it was like an art form.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
“It’s the value I’ve put into this organization personally and what Patrik has done. I saw Scotty (Stevens) do it and Dano (Ken Daneyko) do it,†Brodeur explained. “To me, I take a lot of pride. But things change. The younger guys are not the same anymore. You can see with Clarkie leaving and now with Kovy making this decision. A lot of guys do leave. I’m surprised that guys don’t feel like us.â€

“It’s understandable for them to have a tough reaction towards (Kovalchuk),†Brodeur said. “I know what the organization went through to get him and sign him. For him just to walk away like he’s doing… The fans live and breath the Devils. They feel every player should do the same, and they’re entitled to think that. Me and Patty are great examples of living what they feel about the organization. But not everybody is like us."

Those guys chose to leave. Marty was basically pushed out the door.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't really know what to say about an athlete this unique. And as a kid growing up in NJ, an athlete this close to me. When night in, night out, you rely on someone for so much and you do it for so long...it shouldn't be hard to appreciate, but sometimes it is. I imagine Detroit fans experience the same thing with Lidstrom.

Consistency with a calm, smiling demeanor. But never indifference.

He's the guy who knew exactly what winning that Game 6 over the Rangers meant to people here. The debates about whether it was him or it was the team or the system or etc. None of it matters. It all works because of trust and loyalty. And it's become so hard to accept and believe that in sports. But you can believe it when you see #30 raised above the ice.

There won't ever be anyone like him again, but in these rough times, as fans, I hope we don't get so cynical and lose so much hope that we forget what he represents. Family is what makes this organization unlike any other and when we win a cup again, it will be because we don't do anything like anyone else. Marty never did.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

One reason why Marty is better then Roy in my mind. Marty's unique style was more skillful.

Also if the NHL ever gets its way and increases the size of the net, the cookie cutter butterflies are going to have a hard time adapting, and we might see a school of the Marty hybrid so goalies can get across the crease faster and more athletically.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Marty's stamina is often glazed over and undervalued. 12 seasons of 70 or more games, 4 seasons of over 75 games...74,439 minutes? And had there not been 3 lockouts during his career he would be well over 80,000. That is nuts...Hasek played 42,837 over 16 years and Roy played 60,235 over 20 years

Marty was a true iron horse that gave you the same level of play, every night for almost 20 years.

For defensemen you simply cannot compare a 15 minute dman to a 25 minute dman...well Marty was a 40 minute guy compared to his contemporaries.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Marty's stamina is often glazed over and undervalued. 12 seasons of 70 or more games, 4 seasons of over 75 games...74,439 minutes? That is nuts...Hasek played 42,837 over 16 years and Roy played 60,235 over 20 years

Marty was a true iron horse that gave you the same level of play, every night for almost 20 years.

For defensemen you simply cannot compare a 15 minute dman to a 25 minute dman...well Marty was a 40 minute guy compared to his contemporaries.

Great point. He truelly was an iron horse and I would seriously question if his contemparious could even handle the work load Marty did.

His longevity is mentioned, but I think underrate how hard it is to play as much as he did for as long as he did and be as successful as he was. Including carrying some teams as he was exiting his prime years and being a key reason the team got the finals in 2012 at the age of 39.

Marty had some amazing games during that playoff run and there was no system of Stevens and Nieds in front.

I don't think any goalie today could either (and there is little need).

I know the cup is all that matters but also leading a franchise to 5 prince of Wales trophies is also an extremely impressive feat. It is rare as hell in post locket NHL to have one player get to the finals that many times. Never mind with the same team.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
He really was remarkable. Thing is, you could tell he was destined for greatness right from the start. His rookie season didn't come without its share of struggles, but the skill, drive and results were all there.

At the time, Dominik Hasek was just really starting to enter his "dominator" period, and to watch a 22 year old Brodeur go toe to toe with him in the 94 quarterfinals was really something else. That matchup always stands out to me. The Devils struggled mightily to advance in the playoffs the prior 5 years and for the first time in the history of the franchise, they had a true big time player in goal. That's not to knock the guys like Chico, but Brodeur was clearly on a different level.

I'm going to miss him a lot. I came to terms with his eventual retirement last season, but now that it's here, it's still tough. And you can tell he still wanted to play. He looked pretty sad during his presser this morning. I'm just glad he got to go out on his own terms, sort of.

He's one of the greatest players to ever play the game of hockey and he accomplished that as a NJ Devil. That's pretty special and something the franchise and fans will always be able to hang their hats on. It really was a good run.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He really was remarkable. Thing is, you could tell he was destined for greatness right from the start. His rookie season didn't come without its share of struggles, but the skill, drive and results were all there.

At the time, Dominik Hasek was just really starting to enter his "dominator" period, and to watch a 22 year old Brodeur go toe to toe with him in the 94 quarterfinals was really something else. That matchup always stands out to me. The Devils struggled mightily to advance in the playoffs the prior 5 years and for the first time in the history of the franchise, they had a true big time player in goal. That's not to knock the guys like Chico, but Brodeur was clearly on a different level.

I'm going to miss him a lot. I came to terms with his eventual retirement last season, but now that it's here, it's still tough. And you can tell he still wanted to play. He looked pretty sad during his presser this morning.

He's one of the greatest players to ever play the game of hockey and he accomplished that as a NJ Devil. That's pretty special and something the franchise and fans will always be able to hang their hats on. It really was a good run.

I promise you at the retirement ceremony it will become "real" to most of us and we won't be at terms with it anymore. The emotions will flood out. Get the tissues ready for that night. Won't get to do Marty's Better chants many times again.

scalan15

Nov 7, 2006
South Brunswick , NJ
Went to my first devils game when I was 9 years old in december 1985. Been a fan ever since. It made me sick today seeing marty retire with a blues banner in the background. What was he thinking. Anyway I'm going to the game tomorrow night and taking my 6 year old son to his 1st game. Hopefully they don't get blown out

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
His retirement ceremony will be my first ever Devils home game. I have been planning this for years. He was my childhood hero and the main reason I'm not a Senators fan right now. Congrats on a legendary career Marty, you will be missed.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey

Copying from the other thread - this is an absolute must read and frankly one of TG's best interviews. Marty really opened up about the whole thing and it is clear he remains really close with Lou and identifies strongly as a Devil.

Chere has an interview or two as well which are not quite up to TG's standards imo. However, he was able to confirm that Marty is not planning on selling his house in West Orange. Hopefully it becomes his main residence again sooner than later.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I promise you at the retirement ceremony it will become "real" to most of us and we won't be at terms with it anymore. The emotions will flood out. Get the tissues ready for that night. Won't get to do Marty's Better chants many times again.

I fully expect to cry that night. I still get emotional remembering the chants for Stevens the night #4 went to the rafters, and Patty tearing up. It's going to be even more emotional with Marty.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Brodeur is one of the first players I ever knew the name of...from playing NHL on PC back as a kid.
Brodeur was always there as I was and am a devils fan - and was one of the big reasons the Devils were a successful team over 10+ years.
With his outstanding goaltending he made is speechless and yelling for happiness game in, game out.

One of the best things about him was, when you watched a game with Brodeur in the net - you felt secure. you knew, when the D makes a mistake, HE will be there. It was a feeling of saveness! This is just unique. This guy was more than a goalie, he was the heart of a team, the backing/support, the reliable factor in EVERY game.

I can just not imagine a NJD era without this legend. He will be heavily missed and I am sure I will shed some tears at the ceremony.

THANK YOU, Martin Brodeur, unarguably the BEST goalie to ever play the game of hockey! THANK YOU for an amazing time and all the positive things you gave the NJD! You will always be remembered!:yo::handclap:

Islesfans1978*

I come in peace.

Incredible career, Marty is the best goaltender that has ever played, hands down. He took a Devils organization that was good and made them great and at times even scary.

Congrats on a legendary career.

--An Isles fan

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Copying from the other thread - this is an absolute must read and frankly one of TG's best interviews. Marty really opened up about the whole thing and it is clear he remains really close with Lou and identifies strongly as a Devil.

Chere has an interview or two as well which are not quite up to TG's standards imo. However, he was able to confirm that Marty is not planning on selling his house in West Orange. Hopefully it becomes his main residence again sooner than later.

Definitely a great interview by TG. He asked everything that were on some Devils' fans minds to clear the air. TG gets a fair amount of flak on here for his sass sometimes, but he is great at what he does.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I need to re-watch the 2003 Cup DVD. I remember there was a special feature where a camera followed Marty around right after we won. ****ing awesome to see him walk around with a cigar and do a bunch of interviews and high-fiving everyone.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Just watched the Marty dropping the puck for the Predators vs Blues game.

Classy on both sides with the ceremony and the Preds coming out to shake Marty's hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad