#30 Martin Brodeur - The Retirement & Career Celebration Thread

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I guess he deserves a going away party or three.

FQlq4uN.jpg

Brodeur to retire, join Blues front office: report
Tuesday, 01.27.2015 / 1:26 PM / News
NHL.com

Goaltender Martin Brodeur will announce his retirement and join the St. Louis Blues front office, according to a report Tuesday by Sportsnet.

A press conference will be held Thursday, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Brodeur has been away from the Blues the past two weeks on a personal leave of absence.

Brodeur, 42, was 3-3-0 with a 2.87 goals-against average in seven games for the Blues this season after becoming the NHL's all-time winningest goaltender over 21 seasons with the New Jersey Devils.

Brodeur has 691 wins and 125 shutouts, also an NHL record. His final shutout came for the Blues, Dec. 29 against the Colorado Avalanche.

NHL records as of December 29, 2014

Most regular season wins: 691
Most regular season shutouts: 125

Most regular season losses: 396
Most playoff shutouts: 24
Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined: 149
Most overtime wins: 47
Most 40-win seasons: 8
Most 30-win seasons: 14
Most consecutive 40-win seasons: 3 (tied with Evgeni Nabokov)
Most consecutive 35-win seasons: 11
Most consecutive 30-win seasons: 12
Youngest goalie to reach 300, 400 and 500 career wins
Only goalie to reach 600 career wins
Most career saves: 28,508
Most games played by an NHL goaltender: 1,259 (also most played with a single team)
Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender: 74,083
Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
Most career goals by a goaltender, including playoffs: 3
Most career goals by a goaltender in the regular season: 2
Only goalie to win 100 games in two separate buildings (Continental Airlines Arena and Prudential Center)

Regular season

Most wins in a single season (48, in 2006–07)
Most minutes played in a single season (4,697, in 2006–07)

Playoffs

These statistics are accurate as of the end of the 2012 NHL Playoffs.

Most shutouts in a playoff campaign (7, in 2003)
Most shutouts in a Stanley Cup final (3, in 2003; tied with Toronto Maple Leafs' Frank McCool)
Third goaltender to win the Stanley Cup with a Game 7 shutout in 2003.
First goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)
Most points and assists in a playoff campaign (4 assists, in 2012).

All-Rookie Team 1994
All-Star Game 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007
Calder Memorial Trophy 1994
First All-Star Team 2003, 2004, 2007
Second All-Star Team 1997, 1998, 2006, 2008
Stanley Cup 1995, 2000, 2003
Vezina Trophy 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008
William M. Jennings Trophy 1997†, 1998, 2003†, 2004, 2010

Last edited:

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
Posted this in the previous thread, but I'll repeat here.

This day officially marks the day where I become an adult. Watching Marty play represented my childhood to me. It was the most exciting part of growing up. No thoughts on contracts, cap hits, stats and other nonsense. Just watching a legend in the making, the only constant and stability NJ has seen through their success and a true once in a lifetime player. I was a kid growing up in the Bronx and could have easily become a Rangers fan, especially with family influence. But, mostly because of Brodeur I defied. I kept that with me when I moved 60 miles north.

The next time you visit the Prudential Center, remind yourself that it's the home that a few great men built and are responsible for, and Martin Brodeur was one of them. As Devils fans, we know what we've witnessed with Marty. We know that he was a massive part in the saving of this franchise. I can look back through the mid-90's and pick out many of spectacular saves in the playoffs that very well could have been the reason that hundreds of plane tickets to Nashville were never printed.

Thanks Marty, we'll see you when you arrive home next season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thank you RG for creating this thread.

It still hasn't hit me that Marty is a former-NHL player.
I have to take some time to process this.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I think we all had this feeling last year.

If you look on twitter you will see the plans for this year and the future with Marty. It includes Marty Coming back to the Devils.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA

This day officially marks the day where I become an adult. Watching Marty play represented my childhood to me. It was the most exciting part of growing up. No thoughts on contracts, cap hits, stats and other nonsense. Just watching a legend in the making, the only constant and stability NJ has seen through their success and a true once in a lifetime player. I was a kid growing up in the Bronx and could have easily become a Rangers fan, especially with family influence. But, mostly because of Brodeur I defied. I kept that with me when I moved 60 miles north.

The next time you visit the Prudential Center, remind yourself that

it's the home that a few great men built and are responsible for,
and Martin Brodeur was one of them. As Devils fans, we know what we've witnessed with Marty. We know that he was a massive part in the saving of this franchise. I can look back through the mid-90's and pick out many of spectacular saves in the playoffs that very well could have been the reason that hundreds of plane tickets to Nashville were never printed.

Could not have said it better. ;)

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Congrats Marty on a fantastic career!!!

Look at this young kid straight off his first cup win in 95. That's my brother holding the shirt, I still have it with Marty's signature.

MartyShirt_zps3244563a.jpg

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York

The next time you visit the Prudential Center, remind yourself that it's the home that a few great men built and are responsible for, and Martin Brodeur was one of them. As Devils fans, we know what we've witnessed with Marty. We know that he was a massive part in the saving of this franchise. I can look back through the mid-90's and pick out many of spectacular saves in the playoffs that very well could have been the reason that hundreds of plane tickets to Nashville were never printed.

Well said! My sentiments exactly!

Best goaltender in National Hockey League history, as far as I'm concerned. There are few "unbreakable" records, but I believe in my heart of hearts that 691 and 125 will stand the test of time.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Marty was amazing to watch live and on television. He was an important part of this organization for as long as I can remember, and he brought it so much success. As a fan, he was someone I took great job in cheering for, and when I met him and asked him for his autograph, he was very courteous. He's definitely a player I will never forget. Seeing him retire brings me both pain and delight. Delight because of his wonderful career, and sorrow because it is finally over. I will bawl when his number is retired.

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ
Was just playing as Marty in NHL 14. Just really weird to know his career is officially coming to a close. My childhood sports hero. Thanks Marty.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Hats off to one of the best players of all time. It feels surreal knowing that Marty isn't going to be around anymore, and I all of a sudden feel much older. On a happier note, congrats Marty! Here's to your stunning career, and a happy retirement! :handclap:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still pretty bummed that he will have played for the Blues for only like 7 games. I'd like to see him back playing if one of their two guys is injured again this year.

The way it looks now, he'll be the only big name going into the HOF in 2018.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Congrats Marty on a fantastic career!!!

Look at this young kid straight off his first cup win in 95. That's my brother holding the shirt, I still have it with Marty's signature.

MartyShirt_zps3244563a.jpg

That shirt is great!:yo:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thank you RG for creating this thread.

It still hasn't hit me that Marty is a former-NHL player.
I have to take some time to process this.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. Still can't believe it's over.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
An appreciation thread seems inadequate somehow, but I guess that's all there is to do!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
:cry:

Marty, you'll always be better than the rest. You're the best without a doubt. Thank you for all you have ever done for this organization, and will continue to do when you return next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad