#30 Martin Brodeur - The Retirement & Career Celebration Thread

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Also I'm not normally a thread stickler or one to complain about minuscule stuff like this belongs in that thread, let's have a thread for that, or that gets discussed there, but what is with these blowhard mods on the mainboard removing Marty's retirement thread from the top and keeping Radek Dvorak's?

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Just in case you guys missed it, according to TG's article the press conference will be streamed live on the Blues' website at 11:30am this morning.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Eggsellent

Now I can move on with my day and go yell at a cloud

frame037.jpg

Carry on.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Why didn't he sign a one day contract with the Devils? Kind of sad to see the Blues honoring him, having the press conference with them, having interviews with Blues jerseys in the background. It honestly seems like the Blues are honoring him better than the Devils. It doesn't seem right...It is what it is though. I really hope the Devils do him more than well during his jersey retirement.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
If Elliott or Allen go down with injury, you may very well see him back on the ice this year. That's part of the reason.

He counts against the cap for the Blues even with the retirement so staying with them in an assistant to the GM role makes sense for them and Marty.

There will be plenty of pageantry for the fans and media with NJ down the road.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is an apprectiation thread, if you want to mock or complain about Marty this isn't the thread or time for it.

Last edited:

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Now that I think about it, the whole conference was odd because he doesn't really want to retire.

Probably the first time I've seen him nervous in my life.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Marty represents the main reason why I truly latched on to hockey and the Devils, so for me, he'll always be my favorite player for as long as I'm around. Would have been nice to just close things out in NJ, but there are really way more important things in life to be getting upset about then this thought that he's slapping us in the face. Lets get a grip here.

He wanted one last chance to see if he had anything left in the tank. St. Louis gave him that chance and by all accounts, they've been very good to him in the short time he's been there. Thing is, they didn't owe him anything. There was no reason to give him a chance, but they did. He's under contract with them and he's honoring his end of the deal. It's really pretty simple. And if he decides that he would like to stick around even longer with them, so be it. Personally, I wish him nothing but the best. That's his choice and he would be making it for reasons that are important to him. There is not a single person on the board that wouldn't want the same opportunity for themselves.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Marty represents the main reason why I truly latched on to hockey and the Devils, so for me, he'll always be my favorite player for as long as I'm around. Would have been nice to just close things out in NJ, but there are really way more important things in life to be getting upset about then this thought that he's slapping us in the face. Lets get a grip here.

He wanted one last chance to see if he had anything left in the tank. St. Louis gave him that chance and by all accounts, they've been very good to him in the short time he's been there. Thing is, they didn't owe him anything. There was no reason to give him a chance, but they did. He's under contract with them and he's honoring his end of the deal. It's really pretty simple. And if he decides that he would like to stick around even longer with them, so be it. Personally, I wish him nothing but the best. That's his choice and he would be making it for reasons that are important to him. There is not a single person on the board that wouldn't want the same opportunity for themselves.

It's pretty eye opening how many in the Devils fan base always seems to believe they are being slighted as if everything and body is out to get them and that they deserve something.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
NHL.com put up a few of awesome Marty saves that we don't see from the usual top bunch;

[NHL]628992[/NHL]
[NHL]628989[/NHL]
[NHL]628987[/NHL]

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
You guys are so lucky to be able to enjoy this guy for as long as you did. Even in his short time with us it's easy to get attached to his personality. None of you should be upset about his time with us. From his interviews with us you can really tell that his heart lies in New Jersey.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
NHL.com put up a few of awesome Marty saves that we don't see from the usual top bunch;

[NHL]628992[/NHL]
[NHL]628989[/NHL]
[NHL]628987[/NHL]

The trend from all of the videos posted in here is Marty's best saves always involve how quickly he can get back across the crease even if beaten.

The other is he usually does something amazing with his glove or his stick.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm sometimes critical of Wyshynski's stuff, but this is a great article by him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ur-and-the-pride-of-new-jersey-175959650.html

Just read it and it was really good.

The detractors will point to his save %, defensive team, blah blah, blah. I've watched nearly every game the man played and his best, was better than anyone else's best. I firmly believe that. He did it all. Stopped pucks. Helped drive the offense. Played defense. We'll likely never see a player like him again.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just read it and it was really good.

The detractors will point to his save %, defensive team, blah blah, blah. I've watched nearly every game the man played and his best, was better than anyone else's best. I firmly believe that. He did it all. Stopped pucks. Helped drive the offense. Played defense. We'll likely never see a player like him again.

Jagr said it perfectly the other day. Marty not only stopped shots. He prevented shots from ever happening.

As gomez said, the changed the rules of the game to attempt to stop him because he was TO good.

The system is a product of him.

Just read the first page of this thread and look at the accolades and milestones. No goalie will ever match that.

GOAT.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The trend from all of the videos posted in here is Marty's best saves always involve how quickly he can get back across the crease even if beaten.

The other is he usually does something amazing with his glove or his stick.

Moving around like that is something that very few goalies that play today are able to do well today (a lot of it having to do with equipment size)

Quick is one of the only goalies in the league that has the ability to sprawl all over and be in position to make a save. Many like the guy across the river are down for good once they are down, they ain't moving much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad