3 Year Turnaround

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers were comfortably 2nd in Pacific only 3 pts back of Vegas before the pause. 12 games over 0.500

If Tippett hadn't broken up the hottest line in the league and not started off with Smith playoffs could have been different as well.
Not a lot different. Playing every game on home ice, and the Oilers lost to a club that hadn't a hope in hell of making the playoffs legitimately. The Hawks exposed the abysmal depth of our lineup.

Most of the team seemed not to be too into the play in tbh.

Hopefully different this year with some help.

Reactions: JohnnyLaser

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not a lot different. Playing every game on home ice, and the Oilers lost to a club that hadn't a hope in hell of making the playoffs legitimately. The Hawks exposed the abysmal depth of our lineup.

Most of the team seemed not to be too into the play in tbh.

Hopefully different this year with some help.
Hawks were pretty hot going into play-ins and Dallas was crashing down. The only thing that got exposed was our coaching.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
the way the Oilers played during the play in killed me. Only two players showed up

Archibald played particularly well too. But something was really wrong with the team play and there were a lot of passengers. Toews wanted it more, and you could see that throughout the series. Better than any Oiler. All the D looked bad.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
the way the Oilers played during the play in killed me. Only two players showed up
They badly outplayed the Hawks for the majority of the series.

anyways I don’t get how people can base the next couple years off a few game tacky play in series that should never of happened with the format that it did.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How could any club be hot headed into the play ins? There was a 4 month break in hockey. That doesn't make any sense.
Not hot but better. Kubalik and Dach being the big reason of CHI being better January onwards.

The last 10 games before the pause they were as good as any team and DAL was as bad as any.

Oilers needed to pound them into submission physically but decided to play at exhibition level instead when it comes to intensity. When Draisaitl has to move away from his natural game and become the initiater of physical plays it means rest of the group and coaching has failed.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
we are still in cap hell, he has not helped that with both the Kassian and Chaisson.

we will not have picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year.

While some people are over the moon for some of his picks, I am less enthusiastic towards many of them.

It will take more than 3 years to turn this around. Leon is signed for 5 more years and Connor for 6. How many years of their careers are we going to waste?

Man I think I pulled an eye muscle rolling my eyes at this.

If you can’t see the way forward then I really don’t know what to tell you.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
we are still in cap hell, he has not helped that with both the Kassian and Chaisson.

we will not have picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year.

While some people are over the moon for some of his picks, I am less enthusiastic towards many of them.

It will take more than 3 years to turn this around. Leon is signed for 5 more years and Connor for 6. How many years of their careers are we going to waste?

We have $26 million in cap space for '21-'22. Kris Russell and his $1.25m contract won't be around for that. That's $27m. Depending on what the goalie market is, and how well Koskinen does this season, his $4.5m could come off as well and replaced by a somewhat cheaper option. We only need a back-up, replacements for Larsson and Barrie on defense if they don't re-sign. Nuge is the (only) major contract negotiation we have up front. I can also see Holland trying to offload Kassian's contract (hell, he did it with Looch).

SAY IT WITH ME:

#InHollandWeTrust

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
We have $26 million in cap space for '21-'22. Kris Russell and his $1.25m contract won't be around for that. That's $27m. Depending on what the goalie market is, and how well Koskinen does this season, his $4.5m could come off as well and replaced by a somewhat cheaper option. We only need a back-up, replacements for Larsson and Barrie on defense if they don't re-sign. Nuge is the (only) major contract negotiation we have up front. I can also see Holland trying to offload Kassian's contract (hell, he did it with Looch).

SAY IT WITH ME:

#InHollandWeTrust

Give me Dougie Hamilton
tenor.gif

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

SAY IT WITH ME:

#InHollandWeTrust

Good news we have 11 contracts up
Bad news we need to sign 11 players
Flat cap

Nuge, larsson, berrie, Smith, JJ, Chaisson, Nygard, Haas, Ennis, Kahun, and Slater.

Will nuge take 6 to 6.5?
We swap out Berrie for Klefbom.

I do not see a goalie in our system who is going to be anything more than an in betweener. I do not see Seattle taken Russel. They will be taking one of our AHL guys.

We are barging basement shopping next year again

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good news we have 11 contracts up
Bad news we need to sign 11 players
Flat cap

Nuge, larsson, berrie, Smith, JJ, Chaisson, Nygard, Haas, Ennis, Kahun, and Slater.

Will nuge take 6 to 6.5?
We swap out Berrie for Klefbom.

I do not see a goalie in our system who is going to be anything more than an in betweener. I do not see Seattle taken Russel. They will be taking one of our AHL guys.

We are barging basement shopping next year again

You always do stuff like this, fear monger about contracts even if it has no basis at all.

Lets go through this assuming that the cap stays at $81M which is all but assured...

Contracts and dead cap coming off the books....

RNH - $6M
Larsson - $4M
Russell - $2.75M
Barrie (It's Barrie, not Berrie) - $3.75M
Chiasson - $2.15M
Smith - $1.5M
Pouliot (lol) - $1.33M
Khaira - $1.2M
Sekera - $1M
Ennis - $1M
Kahun, Yamamoto, Haas, Nygard, Koekkoek - Lets round it off to $4.5M

That's approximately $29M coming off the books.
Now lets look at the lineup of signed players depending on the expansion draft and go from there...

???-McDavid-Kassian
???-Draisaitl-???
???-Turris-Puljujarvi
Neal-???-Archibald
Prospects

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-
Jones-Russell
Prospects

Now lets calculate realistic raises
RNH from 6M to 7M
Yamamoto from 1M to 4M
That fills two top 6 spots
I doubt they re-sign Barrie so lets leave that blank for now assuming that Holland wants to go big fish hunting, same with Kahun so this is what you have with around $25M cap space left...

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
???-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
???-Turris-Puljujarvi
Neal-???-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-???
Russell-Jones

Koskinen
???

That's $25M to spend on a top 6 winger, top 9 winger, top 4 Dman, goalie and a few extras for minimum dollars.
This is assuming that no prospects take a spot and that Holland can't move any contracts. The Neal and Koskinen contracts will be more moveable next offseason or maybe a potential Neal buyout.
The Oilers are in really good shape moving forward. The sky isn't falling JTS.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You always do stuff like this, fear monger about contracts even if it has no basis at all.

Lets go through this assuming that the cap stays at $81M which is all but assured...

Contracts and dead cap coming off the books....

RNH - $6M
Larsson - $4M
Russell - $2.75M
Barrie (It's Barrie, not Berrie) - $3.75M
Chiasson - $2.15M
Smith - $1.5M
Pouliot (lol) - $1.33M
Khaira - $1.2M
Sekera - $1M
Ennis - $1M
Kahun, Yamamoto, Haas, Nygard, Koekkoek - Lets round it off to $4.5M

That's approximately $29M coming off the books.
Now lets look at the lineup of signed players depending on the expansion draft and go from there...

???-McDavid-Kassian
???-Draisaitl-???
???-Turris-Puljujarvi
Neal-???-Archibald
Prospects

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-
Jones-Russell
Prospects

Now lets calculate realistic raises
RNH from 6M to 7M
Yamamoto from 1M to 4M
That fills two top 6 spots
I doubt they re-sign Barrie so lets leave that blank for now assuming that Holland wants to go big fish hunting, same with Kahun so this is what you have with around $25M cap space left...

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
???-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
???-Turris-Puljujarvi
Neal-???-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-???
Russell-Jones

Koskinen
???

That's $25M to spend on a top 6 winger, top 9 winger, top 4 Dman, backup goalie and a few extras for minimum dollars.
This is assuming that no prospects take a spot and that Holland can't move any contracts. The Neal and Koskinen contracts will be more moveable next offseason or maybe a potential Neal buyout.
The Oilers are in really good shape moving forward. The sky isn't falling JTS.

And what have the oilers done to put my fears to rest? And as long as we have Kosk we can not go after a legit number 1.

There was a reason most of the board was hoping a certain Russian goalie would fall to us in the draft.

How the oilers played in the play in in killed me and I have no faith in the goaltending

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And what have the oilers done to put my fears to rest? And as long as we have Kosk we can not go after a legit number 1.

There was a reason most of the board was hoping a certain Russian goalie would fall to us in the draft.

How the oilers played in the play in in killed me and I have no faith in the goaltending

I agree about the goaltending but my point is that the Oilers will have the cap flexibility going forward to address that. This is the last offseason in cap hell.

The play in didn't bother me much. It was a 4 game sample size in a weird Covid format, I don't think it's an indication that this team stinks again.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I agree about the goaltending but my point is that the Oilers will have the cap flexibility going forward to address that. This is the last offseason in cap hell.

The play in didn't bother me much. It was a 4 game sample size in a weird Covid format, I don't think it's an indication that this team stinks again.

And I could have sworn last off season we talked about cap flexibility this off season...once we sign Nuge and either resign Larsson or replace him, we will have about 1mill per slot again and that is before we deal with needing a goalie again.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
And I could have sworn last off season we talked about cap flexibility this off season...once we sign Nuge and either resign Larsson or replace him, we will have about 1mill per slot again and that is before we deal with needing a goalie again.
Check the numbers again. It will be more like 4M per open spot not 1.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Did you completely ignore my previous post debunking that?

I went through the trouble of laying out the numbers, the least you can do is acknowledge it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Did you completely ignore my previous post debunking that?

I went through the trouble of laying out the numbers, the least you can do is acknowledge it.
You were even being generous.
Add in Bouchard, Kahun(RFA) and Khaira(RFA) and maybe even Broberg and we have like 3 open spots with 18M of cap space next season.
It's just a 1 year cushion though thanks to Bear, Jones, Pulju and Nurse being cheap for a year so Holland can't really go whale hunting.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You were even being generous.
Add in Bouchard, Kahun(RFA) and Khaira(RFA) and maybe even Broberg and we have like 3 open spots with 18M of cap space next season.
It's just a 1 year cushion though thanks to Bear, Jones, Pulju and Nurse being cheap for a year so Holland can't really go whale hunting.

Yes, but keep in mind that Neal will only have 1 year left on his deal the year after and Koskinen will be off the books, that's if Neal isn't bought out next offseason.

The Oilers have no real long term commitments outside of McDrai and probably RNH soon, oh and Kassian so they can afford to bring in a big ticket player next offseason (hopefully a Dman). The Chia stink is wearing off a little more each season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad