3 Year Turnaround

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I was just kind of thinking about how positive I think the Oilers turnaround has been under Holland thus far, and while it's still early I don't think him turning the franchise into a contender in 3 years is at all unreasonable. Obviously it's still early and covid will sort of warp the timeframe but I think we're looking really good for the first time in a long time.

Year 1: He inherited a team in cap hell with a pretty barren cupboard of prospects, no NHL depth, bottom of the league special teams, and a team devoid of any real scoring outside of two players. He got out from under Lucic and made a couple of savvy signings with extremely limited space. The team responded and with Tippett made forward progress.

Year 2: Filled out the forward group nicely with what appears to be some solid NHL depth, righted the ship with a previously burned bridge in a still potential impact player in JP, and has and is still looking to help offset the loss of his number 1 defenseman. Drafted some good forward potential that is showing very promising signs and ensured a healthy crop of our boys got playing time during the pandemic. Now assuming the forward depth works out and that box is finally checked (and we aren't sunk by goaltending, which I dont think we will be), and positioning future capspace around some cheap 1 year deals like he has, I think he's set to make a splash for a legit defenseman to start year 3.

Year 3: If this year goes well enough and what we hope is defensive depth pans out a bit, the addition of a bonafide 1/2 defenseman really rounds out the roster and checks off the second longstanding hole. Then you're left looking to solidify your goaltending situation if Koskinen hasn't completely washed out in year 2. You don't need to spend top dollar here to be competitive especially if we can find an anchor on defense this summer.

In long short, I think we're very close to being a legit threat, and I think we see a cup in the next couple years if Mr. Holland can manage his money accordingly.

What are your thoughts?

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
It's very possible, but 3 years is a long time these days. The Senators could be a contender in 3 years.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He has done as good of a job as possible with what he inherited. Actually better than could have been expected. He turned the roster below into a potential division winner in under a year:

Hitchcock

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Lucic - Hopkins - Chiasson
Rieder - Khaira - Rattie
Russell - Cave - Gagner
Brodziak

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Benning
Russell - Sekera
Manning/Petrovic

Koskinen
Stolarz

I also like that he didn't do anything stupid and sign mediocre UFAs to bloated contracts as a quick fix. The Oilers are now positioned very well for July 2021 because of this.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He inherited cap and other problems from Chiarelli but the prospect pantry was not barren. Holland himself credited Chiarelli for doing a great job with a very solid group of prospects for him to build on.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
All GMs try the same thing. Fix the core and throw shit on wall hoping for the best with depth.

To: Haas, Granlund, Nygard, Jurco, AA, Archibald, Sheahan
To: Kahun, Turris, Quine

Reactions: Snipes45

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers can and should make some waves in the next few years. While the North division might present them some problems, there's no reason they can't challenge for the Pacific title in the future (though I'd still give Vegas the edge).

As for this year, anything less than a second round appearance should be considered a disappointment.

Reactions: Deplorable Lenny

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He inherited cap and other problems from Chiarelli but the prospect pantry was not barren. Holland himself credited Chiarelli for doing a great job with a very solid group of prospects for him to build on.
While not totally barren, it was pretty devoid of any real forward talent outside of Yamo and Benson.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
While not totally barren, it was pretty devoid of any real forward talent outside of Yamo and Benson.

While also being absolutely stacked on defense. Yamamoto and the defense is pretty impressive.

Be that as it may. Holland has done many good things as well as some questionable things imo. We will see where it takes us and I hope it's to a contender status sooner than later.

To be fair to both. Holland has imo compiled an extremely deep set of forwards, which "should" provide variety and scoring like we have not seen in a long time. By the same token Chiarelli + Mac T is almost completely responsible for our defense and I would guess our success, if we have any, rides on how the very young defense comes together for us.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think covid will actually help the Oilers in the next 2 years. Chia left Holland with no cap space but because of covid we were able to add numerous players for way less then they would have signed for if the cap went up. Next year we're going to be set up even better with dead cap and numerous contracts coming off the books. We can actually use our cap space to help teams that want to move players they can't afford but could help us while they add sweeteners to the deal.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we are still in cap hell, he has not helped that with both the Kassian and Chaisson.

we will not have picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year.

While some people are over the moon for some of his picks, I am less enthusiastic towards many of them.

It will take more than 3 years to turn this around. Leon is signed for 5 more years and Connor for 6. How many years of their careers are we going to waste?

Reactions: Aerchon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Holland has done well overall, but he needs to avoid too many stupid trades like the Green and AA ones. Too many of those will really cripple you and put you back in the crapper. Russell's contract finally finishes this year, and he'll be a valuable piece in two ways - helping offset the loss of Klefbom, and providing an expansion chip for an unprotected slot. Unfortunately we still have Neal for another 3 years, and have to hope he produces enough this year to somehow move him to a cap strapped team and eat some salary. That contract (left over from Lucic) continues to cripple us. The defensive prospects are intriguing but there is nothing sure-fire in there to rise to a top pairing, which is what we really need. Hope it turns out, but hope is never a good plan. We don't have much up front for immediate prospects, so a trade might be in the works next year, if we can dump Neal. Goalie remains an iffy position, need to upgrade.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
we are still in cap hell, he has not helped that with both the Kassian and Chaisson.

we will not have picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year.

While some people are over the moon for some of his picks, I am less enthusiastic towards many of them.

It will take more than 3 years to turn this around. Leon is signed for 5 more years and Connor for 6. How many years of their careers are we going to waste?
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
This team would be an instant contender with a goalie. I like Hollands drafting far better than the decades prior but until we spend some draft capital on a goalie and shore up that position its going nowhere.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
there is a thing called WINNING and it is not just a charlie sheen catch phrase
Oilers were comfortably 2nd in Pacific only 3 pts back of Vegas before the pause. 12 games over 0.500

If Tippett hadn't broken up the hottest line in the league and not started off with Smith playoffs could have been different as well.

Reactions: Aerchon

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's done a pretty good job I think but I also wonder how much he was bailed out last year by the emergence of Bear. Adding a top4 defenseman out of nowhere like that really helps. He was also gifted the emergence of Yamamoto to round out the scoring (and give us one of the best line in hockey for a time). So basically he completely lucked into a top4 defenseman and a PPG winger.

How different would the Oilers season have been without Bear and Yamamoto? Because IMO our roster last year was bottom-ten in the league. None of the additions Holland made before that season worked out particularly well and then the in-season moves failed too, the AA one especially. So I think people would be a lot harder on him if it hadn't been for Bear and Yamamoto having breakout years, two things he had nothing to do with.

But yes, his moves this offseason are looking very good on paper, but we'll see how it plays out in reality. The goalie position is still a massive question mark and something that could potentially sink the team in a tight season like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad