3 Year Turnaround

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Markstrom put up the same numbers as Koskinen and he's considered Vezina worthy and will help the Flames win the division. Koskinen puts up the same numbers as Markstrom and our goaltending is the worst in the division and we'll be lucky to make the playoffs....
It's not Koskinen that worries me. He sure wasn't treated as the #1 goalie heading into the playoffs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's not Koskinen that worries me. He sure wasn't treated as the #1 goalie heading into the playoffs.

I think we'll see Koskinen get 60% of the starts next season. I also don't think he was bad during the playin round. He let in 11 goals in 3 games and 2 periods but 4 of those goals were deflected in by Russell and Bear. Those lucky goals don't happen and he's sitting at 7 goals and a .929 SP. I'm not saying that he's a top 10 goalie but he's a solid goalie that still needs to prove that he can be a starter.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Smith only played the first period and a bit, and the rest was Koskinen. And the pundits were blaming the Oilers goaltending throughout the series.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we'll see Koskinen get 60% of the starts next season. I also don't think he was bad during the playin round. He let in 11 goals in 3 games and 2 periods but 4 of those goals were deflected in by Russell and Bear. Those lucky goals don't happen and he's sitting at 7 goals and a .929 SP. I'm not saying that he's a top 10 goalie but he's a solid goalie that still needs to prove that he can be a starter.
Because the schedule is so compressed (and because Tippett is stubborn sometimes), I think they'll see roughly equal time, maybe slightly slanted towards Koskinen. Koskinen is the better goalie no doubt, but he's still not as proven as we'd like.

Smith only played the first period and a bit, and the rest was Koskinen. And the pundits were blaming the Oilers goaltending throughout the series.
That was really one more period than he should have played and it cost us the game. There were many factors to the Oilers losing that series and getting outgoaltended was one of them.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Further proof that the pundits don't have a clue. Nobody can blame the play-in loss on any one area or player. Everything sucked and there was no good luck to help offset that.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Good news we have 11 contracts up
Bad news we need to sign 11 players
Flat cap

Nuge, larsson, berrie, Smith, JJ, Chaisson, Nygard, Haas, Ennis, Kahun, and Slater.

Will nuge take 6 to 6.5?
We swap out Berrie for Klefbom.

I do not see a goalie in our system who is going to be anything more than an in betweener. I do not see Seattle taken Russel. They will be taking one of our AHL guys.

We are barging basement shopping next year again

Let's not forget that we have players who'll be in our lineup on ELC's:

- Benson
- McLeod (possibly)
- Bouchard
- Broberg (?)
- Konovolov

That'll take some of the pressure off being tight to the cap. Some of the players you mentioned (Nygard, Haas, Koekkoek) could be re-signed for cheap as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Further proof that the pundits don't have a clue. Nobody can blame the play-in loss on any one area or player. Everything sucked and there was no good luck to help offset that.
Agreed, but my point was that it's hard to stick all the blame on a guy that played a little over one period of hockey in a 5 game series.

Reactions: GOilers88

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I think we should worry about making the playoffs with Holland at the helm before thinking the oilers are going to be a legit threat soon.

I’m confidant they will this year, but it’s far from a sure thing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we don't get a legit #1 goalie this team isn't going anywhere.
Like who? Carey Price? Task? Talbot?
Koskinen had good numbers last season , on par with almost all other starters. What legit #1 goalie will be available and why would a team give him up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Porkleaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Koskinen had good numbers last season , on par with almost all other starters. What legit #1 goalie will be available and why would a team give him up?
Koskinen was fine last season but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon of goalies in this division. And unfortunately he still has Mike Smith as a backup.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

Yeah, I think most people underrate him. He was still new to the NHL really, that was his first full season, what's to say he doesn't get better and develop more? Hope he proves people wrong this season and wins the Viezna.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

Again, he's seriously underrated, this will only be his 2nd full season in the NHL. I'm betting he gets better rather than worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad