Post-Game Talk: 3 Stoppable Goals, Leafs Lose 5-3 to the Isles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Been playing for 40+ years and have coached and GMs teams.

Good leadership, real leadership is done by example not words, most of the time.

Among our top paid, top TOIs , who is physically sacrificing out there for their team mates, who is bleeding for them , going into the hard areas, dirty areas, hell is there more then 1 or 2 players even playing what they call "heavy hockey"?

Who is earning respect?

Just kind of a side-line to this, last year our identity was effort and physicality, we had guys like Komarov constantly hitting and getting in our opponents faces.

we had orr and Mclaren fighting every other game and really we physically dominating teams.

But now we can hardly hold posession, I think we get in one fight every 5 games, we still hit but not as much, there's just no passion.

I dont think it's the top players IMO, they bring what they need to, but we had more passionate(komarov), and better possession(MacA/GrabO) players last year. Bolland was a good replacement for Grabo but is injured, but Raymond is a downgrade from MacA imo. And Clarkson isn't nearly as in your face as Komarov.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
But.. -3!! PHANEUF!! -3!!
:sarcasm:

There is some resemblance to posts made on Saturday about how Phaneuf managed to be even in a 7-1 drubbing: imagine how bad this god awful team would be without its captain and TOI leader.

Like there is a huge and meaningful gap between a very poor team and a pitiful one.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Plenty of chances to take a lead and the PP couldn't get it done.

On the bright side, Gleason looked solid. If he can continue that kind of play we could bump Gunnar down to a 2nd pairing. Maybe with Franson???

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Plenty of chances to take a lead and the PP couldn't get it done.

On the bright side, Gleason looked solid. If he can continue that kind of play we could bump Gunnar down to a 2nd pairing. Maybe with Franson???

Gleason looked really good out there. Played the man well and shut down a few plays on his own. Hopefully he's a stabilizing force back there, and allows gunnar to play solid on the 2nd pairing.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Closed door meeting ain't gonna do sht.

Who on this team can respectfully stand up and tell em to get their sht together?

We have no one here that has done sht in their career , anyone help lead a team to the SCF let alone win it? Anyone here ever won any hardware?

Does anyone on this team command or earned any respect from their peers?

Not saying it would or wouldn't. Just more concerning that our leadership group doesn't seem to think anything is out of the ordinary.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
did everyone see bernier's post game interview? he got a little pissed at the end. :laugh:

media is starting to get to him

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
did everyone see bernier's post game interview? he got a little pissed at the end. :laugh:

I wish they'd just ban the ****ing media from the room before/after games. They ask the most Pejorative Slured questions.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Yeah I laughed. When you have a poor game and let in a goal like the second one, you probably don't have as many mics in your face in LA. Best part was when he totally brushed off the reporter at the end. Everyone else was probably scared to ask anymore questions.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Shelling out huge money, year after year for this. Should get a nice rise in ticket prices after the apology letter. I wonder when leaf nation shuts off what happens, until then keep paying...suckers.

Just to keep it real, after the lockout in 2004 our tickets dropped about $5 per seat from 42 to 37. They went up $1 after the last lockout and are currently $38 per seat.

As for the game, Bernier shows up and they win this game pretty easily.
Other than Bernier, the big turning point was Lupul's bonehead penalty.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I don't blame Bernier. The guy has stood on his head all year for this team.

I would agree with the physicality part. We don't fight enough, we don't forcheck nearly as tough. Kamorov wouldn't hurt. Just think the coach is holding them back because no Bolland to kill penalties with. Almost like the team is caught between two identities.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't blame Bernier. The guy has stood on his head all year for this team.

I would agree with the physicality part. We don't fight enough, we don't forcheck nearly as tough. Kamorov wouldn't hurt. Just think the coach is holding them back because no Bolland to kill penalties with. Almost like the team is caught between two identities.

I just don't think they want to play for Randy. They don't even play to 70% of their capability on a nightly basis. Reimer is frustrate with Randy, seems so is Kadri and whoever else, maybe Lupul again.

This is the coach that got fired and his old team became the best in the league 2 years later making minor modifications. Is that not telling? Every year after RC cup was a huge decline until they were abysmal. Now with a new coach are great.

Sorry I am not for Randy's bad parent coaching style. He is a bad commander because he can't identify his men's strengths and weaknesses and use his talent wisely.

24/7 Babcock: find a way vs Carlyle just do as I say and we will be fine.

What he says is wrong and that's why they can't find a way.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I just don't think they want to play for Randy. They don't even play to 70% of their capability on a nightly basis. Reimer is frustrate with Randy, seems so is Kadri and whoever else, maybe Lupul again.

This is the coach that got fired and his old team became the best in the league 2 years later making minor modifications. Is that not telling? Every year after RC cup was a huge decline until they were abysmal. Now with a new coach are great.

Sorry I am not for Randy's bad parent coaching style. He is a bad commander because he can't identify his men's strengths and weaknesses and use his talent wisely.

24/7 Babcock: find a way vs Carlyle just do as I say and we will be fine.

What he says is wrong and that's why they can't find a way.

I don't disagree with you but I have a problem with changing the coach all the time because players have an issue. Don't know what to say, if I was DN I would have a tough time dealing with it.

Regarding Reimer. If he is upset, he should be at himself. He has not played well. So Bernier had a rough couple of games but has been stellar throughout and a steadying force. I just believe having to face all those shots every night wears on you mentally and makes you tired.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't disagree with you but I have a problem with changing the coach all the time because players have an issue. Don't know what to say, if I was DN I would have a tough time dealing with it.

Regarding Reimer. If he is upset, he should be at himself. He has not played well. So Bernier had a rough couple of games but has been stellar throughout and a steadying force. I just believe having to face all those shots every night wears on you mentally and makes you tired.

Don't worry before this they had Wilson for 4 years.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Don't worry before this they had Wilson for 4 years.

I don't have the answer. I really didn't like the way Carlyse was treated as a player for the Leafs. I like the way Babcock is but those guys are hard to find. I believe if you ask most NHL teams, finding a good coach is a very difficult thing, look how many guys are reused after failed attempts. I am not a fan of Laviolette at all and everyone was calling for Eakins last year and people are having a field day with him in Edm with his backwards ways. I think as fans we see it as such an easy thing to manage a motivate a hockey team as a coach and it is not. It is extremely difficult.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't have the answer. I really didn't like the way Carlyse was treated as a player for the Leafs. I like the way Babcock is but those guys are hard to find. I believe if you ask most NHL teams, finding a good coach is a very difficult thing, look how many guys are reused after failed attempts. I am not a fan of Laviolette at all and everyone was calling for Eakins last year and people are having a field day with him in Edm with his backwards ways. I think as fans we see it as such an easy thing to manage a motivate a hockey team as a coach and it is not. It is extremely difficult.

Look I agree it's not easy but this young team and generation is not the same as Randy. They will tune him out if he gets on them to much and doesn't use the methods of dealing with them instilled in schools. You can be firm but not defame or humiliate them. Players are human beings not Randy's whipping toys. We know his rep, we know it well.

He has to be constructive and adapt or he is or should be done here. It's not 1979 anymore and he can't go saying when I was a kid I got the ruler and try pretend be his daddy in a dressing room full of Generation Y types.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Look I agree it's not easy but this young team and generation is not the same as Randy. They will tune him out if he gets on them to much and doesn't use the methods of dealing with them instilled in schools. You can be firm but not defame or humiliate them. Players are human beings not Randy's whipping toys. We know his rep, we know it well.

He has to be constructive and adapt or he is or should be done here. It's not 1979 anymore and he can't go saying when I was a kid I got the ruler and try pretend be his daddy in a dressing room full of Generation Y types.

I think he is firm with them but I never hear him defame anyone. He is not Wilson! He may be a bit harsh on them and that I don't doubt. You look at Van and they go from easy going to Torts. No real change in the standings. Boudreau has a great team in Ana. They got some breaks too with young guys developing well and they were able to make some deals. I often thought Joe Niewendyk would make a great coach but I don't think that is what he wants to do, reminds me a lot of Larry Robinson the way he carries himself.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Is Sigmund Freud available. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland