GDT: #3| San Jose Sharks @ New York Islanders | October 8th | 1:00 PM | F/W 4-0

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just finished watching the game. I kept waiting for the team to fold. There were a few moments where the momentum definitely shifted, but the guys were able to keep it simple and make smart plays for the most part.

A few thoughts:

Sbisa is the worst defenseman on the roster.
I like Fritz more than Kuhnhackl.
Pelech definitely decided before he ever got the puck to pass it and didn't even bother looking at the net. :laugh:
Barzal is good.
The structure is real.
Glad someone grabbed that game winning puck for Lehner. Seemed like an emotional day for him. His first win and shutout after his fresh start in life.

What was the answer to the trivia question?

How could we forget!!!

We didn't. There was one before yours. Here's one after yours for good measure.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just finished watching the game. I kept waiting for the team to fold. There were a few moments where the momentum definitely shifted, but the guys were able to keep it simple and make smart plays for the most part.

A few thoughts:

Pelech definitely decided before he ever got the puck to pass it and didn't even bother looking at the net. :laugh:
Barzal is good.
The structure is real.
Glad someone grabbed that game winning puck for Lehner. Seemed like an emotional day for him. His first win and shutout after his fresh start in life.

Barzal is good. I concur.

Reactions: Quicklime

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Oh, one thing I've noticed in these past two home games...

I have never seen a fan base get rid of their former star player's jersey so fast in my life. You can find a single Judas jersey in view when goals are scored and people are celebrating. I thought for sure the average fan wouldn't care much, but it's crazy how many other jerseys I see in the crowd now.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Oh, one thing I've noticed in these past two home games...

I have never seen a fan base get rid of their former star player's jersey so fast in my life. You can find a single Judas jersey in view when goals are scored and people are celebrating. I thought for sure the average fan wouldn't care much, but it's crazy how many other jerseys I see in the crowd now.

Honestly the knowledge of the "average" Islander fan is pretty high. They all knew who Mitch Korn was on opening night.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The second period we put up a water tight defense. Our exits from the D zone were on point. By the end of that period Karlsson was flubbing pucks in his D zone. Still have some things to clean up, but today was a pleasure to watch.
Having the crash line grind again is nice.

Reactions: Quicklime and MJF

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Honestly the knowledge of the "average" Islander fan is pretty high. They all knew who Mitch Korn was on opening night.

That's because there's no bandwagon fans. You either survived this shit or were out a long time ago. Over here across the country whenever I see someone with Isles gear, I look at them like a dog looks at another dog across the street and kind of tilt my head in acknowledgement. Because we both know that we know some shit. He's not wearing it because it's "cool", or it's fashionable, or even just because he's from the area. He's wearing it because he's wanted to punch himself in the face every single day for the past 20 years and has persevered even though his liver hasn't.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Someone give me the answer to the trivia question, it's driving me crazy.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Was at the game today and I felt like that was one of the most complete games the team has played in the last three years. Lehner made a handful of great saves, but even though the sharks had 35 shots, the defense really did a great job limiting top quality chances all game. I am very glad Leddy and Boychuk are back together, as they should be and hopefully they stick with it because the defense was worlds better today. Another great game from Filppula today. Also it is great to see that we are 2-1 and easily could be 3-0 and the Barzal line, correct me if I am wrong, I believe only has 3 of our 9 goals so far. Imagine when the game comes where they really go off. Finally, Lehner should be the #1 goalie moving forward until proven otherwise. Even though Greiss was good in the first game,you can see how much more positionally sound Lehner is. He looks so smooth and comfortable in net and while he will surely have bad games here and there, he is certainly the higher ceiling goalie by a longshot.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Not too difficult when your attendance is under 9k.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Someone give me the answer to the trivia question, it's driving me crazy.

Potvin, Tomas Jonsson and Perrsson. No?

Edit: nevermind it was answered above... it was Jean Potvin along with his brother and Persson.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014

A few thoughts:

Barzal is good.
The structure is real.

Pelech's pass(?) might be the worst play I've seen in Islander history, and I've been watching since '79.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Only got to watch a condensed version of the game today. Thus far you have to be really happy with the play of this team considering all the changes. The first game was a bit of a s**t show but after that you can totally tell the difference in structure. I have only one disappointment, and I say that fully acknowledging that it's early but..... Beauvillier has been pretty much invisible. He looked so good in preseason games and he and Barzal really clicked the second half of last year. Hopefully he'll catch up but if his play continues they're going to need to flip him with Eberle to add a little more deadly punch to the first line.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It was a problem in the first period. Maybe Trotz was able to spot something and make adjustments.

It’s been a problem for years. Trotz has and will help. He’s got a great read on this team.

Better D men will help too.

Thought Pelech cleaned up that part of his game today, they’ll need it to be a mainstay if he’s playing 22 mins a night.

Reactions: Macch

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
That's because there's no bandwagon fans. You either survived this **** or were out a long time ago. Over here across the country whenever I see someone with Isles gear, I look at them like a dog looks at another dog across the street and kind of tilt my head in acknowledgement. Because we both know that we know some ****. He's not wearing it because it's "cool", or it's fashionable, or even just because he's from the area. He's wearing it because he's wanted to punch himself in the face every single day for the past 20 years and has persevered even though his liver hasn't.

This is soooo true. Also, if they look friendly and you have time, you stop, say "hey, how long you been a fan for?" Bitch and complain about management, tyre fires, coach, players....and then you talk shop for a little while and make a new friend.

Reactions: Quicklime

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Lehner's always had the talent to be good. What you saw today was the "good" Lehner. His problem, both in Ottawa and Buffalo, is stringing together games like today more often. It's never been about ability to be good.
And thats why we need TWO good Goalies. And we have two good ones.
So they can play 50/50 this season.

Kühnhackl looked also very good. :D

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Haha, that is so true!! I live in Hong Kong and I know all of ONE other Islanders fan. When we are around each other people go through the whole litany jokes "get a room", "here we go" etc. And it's that way because he's the only dude stupid enough to waste vast amounts of his energy following a team that has done absolutely nothing for almost thirty years. Who else can relate to that? No one! And most of my friends are from the NY area. They're all Rangers fans (some are ex Islanders fans that couldn't take it anymore). Anyway there is definitely something to be able to relate to the pain of being a life long Islanders fan. If nothing else, we're a loyal bunch!

That's because there's no bandwagon fans. You either survived this **** or were out a long time ago. Over here across the country whenever I see someone with Isles gear, I look at them like a dog looks at another dog across the street and kind of tilt my head in acknowledgement. Because we both know that we know some ****. He's not wearing it because it's "cool", or it's fashionable, or even just because he's from the area. He's wearing it because he's wanted to punch himself in the face every single day for the past 20 years and has persevered even though his liver hasn't.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Btw - it seemed like hey had 2 guys keying on Barzal every time he was bringing the puck up. When Leddy started with the puck on the PP, it seemed like Kane would always take up a spot behind him to stop the inevitable drop pass to Barzal. I hope the CS gets proactive and designs zone entries with this in mind. Having someone with Leddys skating ability as option B in this instance really works to our advantage here. If Leddy gets a step or two on the D while they're waiting for Barxal to get the puck, he could be off to the races untouched.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
It’s been a problem for years. Trotz has and will help. He’s got a great read on this team.

Better D men will help too.

Thought Pelech cleaned up that part of his game today, they’ll need it to be a mainstay if he’s playing 22 mins a night.

Besides “that play” thought Pelech and Mayfield were both strong.

Mayfield is actually an above average skater for a big man. He’s also shown he can get mean. Hope he puts it together.

Reactions: dood and Quicklime

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Not too difficult when your attendance is under 9k.
I gotta say, that was the fullest 8.5k attendance I've seen. I only say that because I've been witness to some pretty paltry "sell outs" or even 12.5k reported attendance at that joint. It was hardly full, but based on past practices, I figured they'd report it at 11-12k.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I gotta say, that was the fullest 8.5k attendance I've seen. I only say that because I've been witness to some pretty paltry "sell outs" or even 12.5k reported attendance at that joint. It was hardly full, but based on past practices, I figured they'd report it at 11-12k.
BSE is probably reporting actual numbers to now bolster their case that the Islanders should be out of Brooklyn and play all of their games at the Coliseum starting next season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But I agree with you. I think the attendance figures reported have been inflated since the move to Brooklyn.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
But I agree with you. I think the attendance figures reported have been inflated since the move to Brooklyn.

BSE is probably reporting actual numbers to now bolster their case that the Islanders should be out of Brooklyn and play all of their games at the Coliseum starting next season.

I saw Brett Yormark in the hallway yesterday and gave him a quick hello. Got me thinking about how far the whole saga has come in 3 or 4 short years. I'm not sure what his role is with the Islanders anymore, but at first, it seemed like he was CEO, GM, mascot, waterboy, facilities manager all rolled in one.

He's obviously a hard worker and an ambitious guy and was pretty much set up to fail, but boy did he not have his finger on the pulse of this team and fanbase.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2