GDT: #3| San Jose Sharks @ New York Islanders | October 8th | 1:00 PM | F/W 4-0

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I saw Brett Yormark in the hallway yesterday and gave him a quick hello. Got me thinking about how far the whole saga has come in 3 or 4 short years. I'm not sure what his role is with the Islanders anymore, but at first, it seemed like he was CEO, GM, mascot, waterboy, facilities manager all rolled in one.

He's obviously a hard worker and an ambitious guy and was pretty much set up to fail, but boy did he not have his finger on the pulse of this team and fanbase.
Brett "The Proctologist" Yormack?

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Lehner's always had the talent to be good. What you saw today was the "good" Lehner. His problem, both in Ottawa and Buffalo, is stringing together games like today more often. It's never been about ability to be good.

Though now he's got the best goalie coach in the league in Mitch Korn, hopefully he can help him become more consistent.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Islanders probably announce the real attendance. I mean, for example look at detroit's ''sold out' crowds :laugh: Attendances are down ALL OVER THE PLACE not just nhl

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
Oh, one thing I've noticed in these past two home games...

I have never seen a fan base get rid of their former star player's jersey so fast in my life. You can find a single Judas jersey in view when goals are scored and people are celebrating. I thought for sure the average fan wouldn't care much, but it's crazy how many other jerseys I see in the crowd now.

My 10 year old son won't let me get rid of his JT pillow. He thinks it will be worth money some day.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Just watched the replay. Amazing to see what structure and systems can do for a team. I know it's early but anyone wishing for a top 3 pick will be disappointed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Islanders probably announce the real attendance. I mean, for example look at detroit's ''sold out' crowds :laugh: Attendances are down ALL OVER THE PLACE not just nhl
Teams are charging a fortune for lower bowl seats. You’d better have a competitive team when you open a new arena and want to charge that much for good seats.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Teams are charging a fortune for lower bowl seats. You’d better have a competitive team when you open a new arena and want to charge that much for good seats.

I'd be willing to pay more to get in if the damn concessions weren't so expensive. Can't have both though.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I'd be willing to pay more to get in if the damn concessions weren't so expensive. Can't have both though.

I like the move some of the new stadiums are taking in terms of concession prices. Mercedes Benz Stadium (Falcons) is a new stadium that has really helped push this.

fanfirstmenupricing-e1495745960799.png

I'm sure there's a bit of a hit to the revenue given that a lot of people will still buy the concessions because you don't have much of a choice, but I like the move to allow people (especially families) to enjoy more games and they make up the revenue from the stadiums being fuller on a regular basis (both in ticket prices and volume of concessions). It's damn near impossible to go to a game with 2-3 kids and not get them anything at all.

I'd like to see this become a bigger trend. It might not work for certain teams/cities that have great attendance and/or many people with deep pockets, but this should become more commonplace for mid-market teams and secondary cities.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I like the move some of the new stadiums are taking in terms of concession prices. Mercedes Benz Stadium (Falcons) is a new stadium that has really helped push this.

I'm sure there's a bit of a hit to the revenue given that a lot of people will still buy the concessions because you don't have much of a choice, but I like the move to allow people (especially families) to enjoy more games and they make up the revenue from the stadiums being fuller on a regular basis (both in ticket prices and volume of concessions). It's damn near impossible to go to a game with 2-3 kids and not get them anything at all.

I'd like to see this become a bigger trend. It might not work for certain teams/cities that have great attendance and/or many people with deep pockets, but this should become more commonplace for mid-market teams and secondary cities.
I mean, this should be the standard for stadiums. Charging families an arm and a leg to go to a game is ridiculous.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

tiny-cheeseburger.jpg

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Besides “that play” thought Pelech and Mayfield were both strong.

Mayfield is actually an above average skater for a big man. He’s also shown he can get mean. Hope he puts it together.

He is, however, his decision making scares me. Some of the worst kinds of turnovers, up the middle, on the tape.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Just watched the replay. Amazing to see what structure and systems can do for a team. I know it's early but anyone wishing for a top 3 pick will be disappointed.

I used to subscribe to the theory that it was more entertaining to lose a 7-6 game then lose a 2-1 game.

Never again... after last years debacle. I’m thrilled to witness some “good ole’ back to basics hockey. Hopefully it will even result in some more wins.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Yep. I read about that following their first season doing it. I believe the owner said they made more money from concessions that year. I'd be much more inclined to go and enjoy the game if I could eat at the game, instead of figuring out how to manage leaving work, getting the family or friends together, getting dinner, and then getting to the game.

If the Islanders did that, I think they'd see a jump in attendance and revenue. Families are their target market.

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ

It sure would help.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looks like the Sharks did not enjoy being humiliated by the supposedly over-matched Islanders yesterday and are taking it out on Philly early.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad