edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
A couple of trades I've thinking about:

First Trade:
Klefbom + 2nd + Caggiula
For
Krug + Bjork/Donato

I've been talking to B's fans and they seem open to a move like this. Makes sense for both sides. It's been discussed a lot so you get the gist of it. Krug is very good offensively and goes to Edmonton, Klefbom is excellent 2 way on a great contract that is valuable to Boston. Bjork or Donato can be switched depending on who you guys view as the better player.

Second Trade:
Puljujarvi + Benning + 2nd
For
Tippett + Petrovic

Edmonton gets two wingers that I think would mesh well with our team and a d to play with newly acquired Krug on the 2nd pair. Florida gets back the higher ceiling prospect in Pulju that I think would be dynamite with one of their 2 Finnish centers, Barkov or Borgstrom. They would eliminate the language barrier and I think he'd develop great chemistry with them. Petrovic was on the market and is apparently available for a trade.

Third Trade:
Lucic + 1st + Jones
For
Scherbak

(Or take out Jones and make the return Byron?)

The Montreal fans I've talked to over the last little bit have been wanting a rebuild and they accepted this deal.

New Lines:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Tippett
Bjork/Donato-Drai-Yamo
Scherbak/Byron-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Krug-Petrovic
Sekera-Russel/Bouch/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

This is my first proposal thread so don't flame me too hard. If you disagree with the way I have presented my outlook on things then reply with constructive criticism pls. Thanks!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

First Trade:
Klefbom + 2nd + Caggiula
For
Krug + Bjork/Donato

I've been talking to B's fans and they seem open to a move like this. Makes sense for both sides. It's been discussed a lot so you get the gist of it. Krug is very good offensively and goes to Edmonton, Klefbom is excellent 2 way on a great contract that is valuable to Boston. Bjork or Donato can be switched depending on who you guys view as the better player.

Second Trade:
For
Tippett + Petrovic

Edmonton gets two wingers that I think would mesh well with our team and a d to play with newly acquired Krug on the 2nd pair. Florida gets back the higher ceiling prospect in Pulju that I think would be dynamite with one of their 2 Finnish centers, Barkov or Borgstrom. They would eliminate the language barrier and I think he'd develop great chemistry with them. Petrovic was on the market and is apparently available for a trade.

Third Trade:
Lucic + 1st + Jones
For
Scherbak

The Montreal fans I've talked to over the last little bit have been wanting a rebuild and they accepted this deal.

New Lines:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Tippett
Bjork/Donato-Drai-Yamo
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Krug-Petrovic
Sekera-Russel/Bouch/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

This is my first proposal thread so don't flame me too hard. If you disagree with the way I have presented my outlook on things then reply with constructive criticism pls. Thanks!

how the f*** is trading for lucic and his atrocious contract for a promising young forward like scherbak a 'rebuild'?

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Third Trade:
Lucic + 1st + Jones
For
Scherbak

Lucic + EDM 1st 2019
vs
Byron

If there's no protection on that 1st, I think it's a good gamble. Edmonton didn't seem to have made big change to assure they will do better, so it could be a lottery pick. At worse, we trade Lucic in 1 or 2 year with lesser asset and a small retention to get rid of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPD Habs Fan

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Lucic + EDM 1st 2019
vs
Byron

If there's no protection on that 1st, I think it's a good gamble. Edmonton didn't seem to have made big change to assure they will do better, so it could be a lottery pick. At worse, we trade Lucic in 1 or 2 year with lesser asset and a small retention to get rid of them.
If Lucic salary gets moved, expect a deal to bring in a player to better the team. That first is probably in the 12-20 range next year.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
If Lucic salary gets moved, expect a deal to bring in a player to better the team. That first is probably in the 12-20 range next year.

Probably, but you would need to give up good assets to get a game changing player to better the team. If the 2019 1st is traded to get rid of Lucic (Byron isn't a game changing player), you would need to gut your prospect/futur pool even more. If Edm is ready to do that, I would give it a shot if I'm Mtl GM. If we're lucky, Lucic "kinda" bounce back and we could flip him to get rid of that contract for a lesser price than a 1st.

I mean, it's been a long time since Edm drafted 1st overall, the time is coming. That trade is almost Lucic + Hughes vs Byron in disguise.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

First Trade:
Klefbom + 2nd + Caggiula
For
Krug + Bjork/Donato

Second Trade:
For
Tippett + Petrovic

Third Trade:
Lucic + 1st + Jones
For
Scherbak

New Lines:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Tippett
Bjork/Donato-Drai-Yamo
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Krug-Petrovic
Sekera-Russel/Bouch/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

Edmonton gets :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:d on all 3 trades. Congrats

Reactions: OilerSuperstar17

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
I'm fine with trading Byron for Lucic and a first. I would try and get a 2nd pick included in the deal (don't know a thing about Jones). We have the cap space, may as well use it to get some assets, and who knows if Lucic is awful he might help the tank.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I'm fine with trading Byron for Lucic and a first. I would try and get a 2nd pick included in the deal (don't know a thing about Jones). We have the cap space, may as well use it to get some assets, and who knows if Lucic is awful he might help the tank.

Good reason. If Lucic bounce back and have a good season, we could flip him for less than a 1st, and if he's bad, we tank even more so a better rebuild. Win-Win.

Reactions: BPD Habs Fan

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
From an oilers fan they’re not bad I wouldn’t do any of them, but they’re not bad except the Montreal one that’s terrible.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Lucic 1st rnd pick and 2nd rnd pick for Byron is acceptable without any protection. Agree with trades but all upside goodness all goes to Edmonton

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

First Trade:
Klefbom + 2nd + Caggiula
For
Krug + Bjork/Donato

Second Trade:
For
Tippett + Petrovic

Third Trade:
Lucic + 1st + Jones
For
Scherbak

New Lines:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Tippett
Bjork/Donato-Drai-Yamo
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Krug-Petrovic
Sekera-Russel/Bouch/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

First trade: Value wise I think it's there, but I want to wait 1 more year to see if we can get a healthy year out of Klefbom. A healthy Klefbom is by far the best piece in this trade and everyone would be calling for PC's head again if we traded Klef and he stopped getting injured. Klefbom's shot is a huge asset to us. I don't know what to think of Cagguila + 2nd for Bjork/Donato. I was very impressed with Donato at the Olympics and at the same time I don't understand how Caggulia didn't have a better outing last season. So yeah. Not really feeling that one. Not suggesting that Boston should take Caggulia + 2nd for Donato, just saying I'm not in the mood to spend a pick to make such a trade happen.

Second trade: Benning is really underrated. He's a really good 3rd pairing guy and he keeps getting thrown in the top 4 for various reasons and he's not ready for it. I think he will pan out as a 2nd pairing d-man in the future and he's cap hit is going to stay low. Puljujarvi is built like a tank and is still getting used to North America. If 80% of his potential ever comes to be this will be almost as bad as the Hall trade. Again, Edmonton is coughing up another 2nd rounder and we haven't got a deep prospect pool, so this sounds like a really nasty trade.

3rd trade: If I'm PC and I know for certain that Lucic isn't going to bounce back, I take this if I can convince the Habs to make this trade. Sorry Jones. Good bye 1st rounder. We need the cap space. But even if Montreal is interested in 1st + Jones to help their rebuild there's no way you can convince me that Lucic has any interest in moving to another Canadian market, let alone MONTREAL.... seriously. If Lucic were moved to Montreal I'm pretty sure his best bouts of the season would be at team practices.

Projected lines:
You've got 3 rookies playing a middle 6 role. Doesn't look all that good. The blueline looks about as good as it does before the trade. This doesn't look like a team that's any more likely to make it into the playoffs. Who says that Yamma is going to make it this year? wouldn't it be smarter to assume that Benson would challenge for a spot than Yamma at this point? Not suggesting Benson is ready, but he's got a deeper tool box.

Conclusion: Edmonton should pass on the first 2 and Lucic and the Habs should pass on the 3rd. The first 2 trades make Edmonton a worse team and the 3rd makes Edmonton better but is unrealistic for many reasons.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They're all kind of reasonable, though I don't think Montreal does that deal (it's not like Lucic has 3 years left), and probably not Edmonton either (if they're bad, they need that 1st like an insurance policy). And Boston and Florida would probably need a little more to sway them.

Little things : Donato is worth too much to be involved here. Bjork maybe. Paul Byron is a good target for the Oilers to add in any case - the bottom six is pretty bad right now and Byron obviously adds amazing speed. Regarding your lines, that would be a decent RW group in a few years, but it's the worst in the league right now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The first 2 trades make Edmonton a worse team

Not compared to last year - Krug's offensive addition makes him a big improvement on last year's Klefbom, and Puljujarvi is a non-factor. Long run it could be another story.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not compared to last year - Krug's offensive addition makes him a big improvement on last year's Klefbom, and Puljujarvi is a non-factor. Long run it could be another story.

You're right. If Klefbom never goes back to playing how he played 2 seasons ago, if Klefbom never plays 70+ games a season and if Puljujarvi never makes it in the NHL these trades are good for Edmonton.

The thing is that I don't think that's going to happen.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
3rd trade: If I'm PC and I know for certain that Lucic isn't going to bounce back, I take this if I can convince the Habs to make this trade. Sorry Jones. Good bye 1st rounder. We need the cap space. But even if Montreal is interested in 1st + Jones to help their rebuild there's no way you can convince me that Lucic has any interest in moving to another Canadian market, let alone MONTREAL.... seriously. If Lucic were moved to Montreal I'm pretty sure his best bouts of the season would be at team practices.

Actually, if the rumors are true, he came pretty close to signing here as a free agent, and he's pretty good friend with Gallagher. Things have changed though in Montreal since then, and I'm not sure Lucic is interested to be part of a rebuild, although that might help him make sure he still gets top-6 icetime for awhile.

As for the OP offer, I wouldn't be totally against taking on Lucic's contract for a 1st, but 5-years is a heck of a long time. I wouldn't do it for Scherbak, as I don't care enough about Jones to give him away, and I think we might be able to get close to a late 1st for Byron at the deadline, should he be on pace for another 20-25 goal season this year, and I'd much rather get that than handcuffing myself with Lucic's contract.

In fact (and you probably won't like it), the only way I would touch Lucic's contract personally is if he comes with a 1st (doesn't have to be protected) and Andrew Shaw goes the other way. I'd do it for Alzner too...but I think we all agree that we're stuck with that one.

Reactions: thadd

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine

First Trade:
Klefbom + 2nd + Caggiula
For
Krug + Bjork/Donato

Second Trade:
For
Tippett + Petrovic

Third Trade:
Lucic + 1st + Jones
For
Scherbak

New Lines:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Tippett
Bjork/Donato-Drai-Yamo
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Krug-Petrovic
Sekera-Russel/Bouch/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

In Ryan Donato rookie season, he scored 5 goals and 9 points in 12 games. NO to trading Donato, before you even ask Jake DeBrusk is also off the table

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad