Proposal: 3 MTL trades (EDM - BUF - CAR)

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
MTL seem stubborn to want to rebuild. With Weber and Price in the team, Bergevin still thinks he can win a Cup, lol... This is a last hoorah for him.

:habs
10th OA pick
Lucic

:edmonton
Juulsen
2nd round pick (CHI)
4th round pick (EDM)

Why Habs do it? They have Weber and Petry set in RD. They don't need Juulsen if they're "competing" now. They get the 10th OA pick which means business!

Why Oilers do it? They get rid of a massive black hole contract in Lucic (they trade him to the 2nd worst GM in the league after their own) and get a very good RHD prospect in Juulsen + some picks to alleviate the 10th OA pick loss.

O'Reilly

:sabres
Pacioretty
10th OA pick

Why Habs do it? They finally get their center. 'nuff said.

Why Sabres do it? They get one of the best 2-way LWers in Pacioretty and the 10th OA pick in a deep draft year (FWIW, they could draft a center like Veleno/Hayton, etc).

Hanifin

:canes
3rd OA pick
Lindgren

Why Habs do it? They patch the massive hole in LD with Hanifin who's got great upside and has the "grit" and "character" that Bergevin likes.

Why Canes do it? They get 2nd and 3rd OA... They can either draft Zadina and get him to play with Necas, or Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, etc. Lots of great options that could help their offense and/or bring the grit they need.

Finally, Habs buyout Alzner, and unfortunately resign Plekanec to a 2-year deal (low cap hit).

New Habs line-up:
Drouin - O'Reilly - Gallagher
Domi - Danault - Lehkonen
Lucic - Plekanec - Hudon
Deslauriers - A. Shaw - Byron

Hanifin - Weber
Reilly - Petry
Schlemko - Lernout

Price

Yeesh.. At least they patched up the most "important" things (top-line C, top-line LH-PMD).

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Enough with the deluded misconception that we will have to, or would, pay the 10th for the privilege of trading Lucic. These proposals are ridiculous. I’ll give you a 7th rounder and Talbot for Price at 50% retained!!

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Buffalo easily says no.
10th OA and Pacioretty is a whole lot of value going Buffalo's way, especially considering one of Bouchard/Boqvist/Wahlstrom will likely be available there.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Enough with the deluded misconception that we will have to, or would, pay the 10th for the privilege of trading Lucic. These proposals are ridiculous. I’ll give you a 7th rounder and Talbot for Price at 50% retained!!
Lol comparing Price 50% retained with Lucic 0% retained. Price is extremely valuable (yes he's had 1 off season), Lucic is on a clear decline and is waaaay overpaid (yes I know Price is overpaid too). Players like Lucic either end up getting bought out or traded along with a top prospect for peanuts (see Bickell, Bolland, etc). Either way, EDM could use that cap saving.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Not sure if it’s the right offer to meet their needs, but 10th and Pacioretty is at least fair value for O’Reilly. If the Sabres choose not to sign him, they could flip him.

Doubt your getting 10 with that offer.

Reactions: 780il

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
10th OA and Pacioretty is a whole lot of value going Buffalo's way, especially considering one of Bouchard/Boqvist/Wahlstrom will likely be available there.

I’ll let Sabres fans debate that with you at length but Pacioretty is useless for a rebuilding team with a core as young as theirs. They aren’t ready to compete now so he’s pointless as a rental and if they resign him he’ll be an albatross by the time they’re in a position to win. So that leaves the 10th OA which isn’t enough for ROR. Swap Pacioretty for Mete and maybe they’ll bite, but again I’ll leave that for Sabres fans to say.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I’ll let Sabres fans debate that with you at length but Pacioretty is useless for a rebuilding team with a core as young as theirs. They aren’t ready to compete now so he’s pointless as a rental and if they resign him he’ll be an albatross by the time they’re in a position to win. So that leaves the 10th OA which isn’t enough for ROR. Swap Pacioretty for Mete and maybe they’ll bite, but again I’ll leave that for Sabres fans to say.

You are right about all of that, but the Sabres can rehabilitate Patches value with Eichel and flip him.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Lol comparing Price 50% retained with Lucic 0% retained. Price is extremely valuable (yes he's had 1 off season), Lucic is on a clear decline and is waaaay overpaid (yes I know Price is overpaid too). Players like Lucic either end up getting bought out or traded along with a top prospect for peanuts (see Bickell, Bolland, etc). Either way, EDM could use that cap saving.
How were Bolland and Bickells careers after the trade, right non existent, whereas Lucic was a productive player for the first half of the season, and will be productive again, he is not just a cap dump, he still has value, I would rather we remand him to the 3rd line for the next five years than gift some team a 10oa. The Habs squandered their assets and now their fans are desperately trying live out far fetched hypotheticals.

Reactions: Juxta Position

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You are right about all of that, but the Sabres can rehabilitate Patches value with Eichel and flip him.

Or we could:
(1) Keep our current player who is more versatile, better, and better fits our group; or
(2) Trade him for assets we actually want directly

So...Why would we trade him in division for stuff that doesn't really help us?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
These are the proposals that make people hate habs fans.

Juulsen is great but Edmonton are better off with the 10oa than they are with him.

Why trade away a 1b centre for 1 year of Patches? Centres can play wing, o’reilly Is better for Buffalo. Keeping him mentors their young centres.

Your trade to Carolina doesn’t consider their needs. Value doesn’t seem that far off but it just doesn’t work for me. Hanifan should fetch a 1c or equal/younger player, your trade offer meets value but doesn’t help Carolina get better or meet their need. I would love Montreal to get Hanifan but this isn’t the right deal for that.

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
Sabres would need a solid established player under contract, draft pick (1st round) and a young prospect w/ potential.

I don't think a 29 year old UFA after 1 year gets you ROR... Sabres pass..

Also I think you are selling low on patches who is trending down.. if he can rebound you might get a 1st round pick and prospect for him at the deadline from a contender.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Edmonton offer was less awful than I was expecting, Juulsen is a good prospect.

It’s still a no, but at least for once what’s being offered isn’t garbage and rentals. Baby step in the right direction?

Reactions: BernieParent

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
The Edmonton offer was less awful than I was expecting, Juulsen is a good prospect.

It’s still a no, but at least for once what’s being offered isn’t garbage and rentals. Baby step in the right direction?
I initially was thinking of trading Weber to EDM, but then I thought to myself "Is he too old for that team? Does EDM actually want him and his never-ending contract?" I know the Oilers are desperate for a very good RHD, and I have a very strong feeling about Juulsen (he's the only defenseman who made Alzner not look terrible & that to me says a lot about him).

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Sabres would need a solid established player under contract, draft pick (1st round) and a young prospect w/ potential.

I don't think a 29 year old UFA after 1 year gets you ROR... Sabres pass..

Also I think you are selling low on patches who is trending down.. if he can rebound you might get a 1st round pick and prospect for him at the deadline from a contender.
I honestly don't see how Pacioretty is trending down. He's been one of the best 2-way LWers for a very long time. Sure he hasn't scored as many goals last season, but I wouldn't put much, if any, stock on that. Remember he's been playing with 3/4th line centers all season long (it's easy for other teams to target and neutralize him when his linemates are nowhere near as good as he is). Also, with Patches extended, I do think BUF can get a major return when his stock goes through the roof when he plays with an actual center in Eichel.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Or we could:
(1) Keep our current player who is more versatile, better, and better fits our group; or
(2) Trade him for assets we actually want directly

So...Why would we trade him in division for stuff that doesn't really help us?

I said I think it’s fair value. I also wouldn’t make the trade.
I get tired of posters taking turns ripping other team’s assets.
Those are two significant assets, and a reasonable offer.
Just not the right offer.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
What you haven’t realized is that 3m Lucic isn’t the worst thing to have on your roster. To a rebuilding team, the blank 3m cap hit is worth probably a second, Lucic at 3m is passable in a bottom 6 role. His contract isn’t impossible to deal with while not giving away the world.

The 10oa is worth more than your Montreal proposal by a wide margin.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Oilers desire to get rid of Lucic is nowhere near high enough to bundle in 10th overall with him just to make it happen. I know people on here love bundling Lucic with 10th overall, but I don't see that happening, it's fantasy land sort of stuff.

Lucic isn't viewed as a massive blackhole in Edmonton more like a powerforward that can help the team, but is $1.5M-$2M overpaid.

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
I honestly don't see how Pacioretty is trending down. He's been one of the best 2-way LWers for a very long time. Sure he hasn't scored as many goals last season, but I wouldn't put much, if any, stock on that. Remember he's been playing with 3/4th line centers all season long (it's easy for other teams to target and neutralize him when his linemates are nowhere near as good as he is). Also, with Patches extended, I do think BUF can get a major return when his stock goes through the roof when he plays with an actual center in Eichel.

Just not a fit.. also if he gets injured or another bad year then they essentially traded ROR for a 10 OA draft pick.
I'd rather just keep ROR

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Habs fan here. These are pretty bad, either massive overpayment or underpayment, nothing really close to spot on, and the direction is the opposite of what we should be going for.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I see no use for Lindgren (we need to do better for our goalie add), but swap him out for another decent piece (maybe Chicago's 2nd?) and I'd do a Hanifin <----> 3 OA deal. I'd hate to lose Hanifin; he still has #1D potential but that's not guaranteed, and we do have some depth on the blue line. And looking at a forward corps that includes Aho, Necas, Teravainen, Svech, Zadina, Lindholm (all 23yo or much younger), plus several very promising prospects currently in Charlotte? Excuse me as I go get a paper towel to wipe off the drool running down my chin at the thought. That's a killer front line for well into the future. In the shorter term, we've also got Staal and Skinner (or whatever Skinner returns in a trade).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad