Post-Game Talk: #3 | Flyers at Lightning | October 18, 2022 | 7pm | Win 3-2

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
this is the problem here, everyone wants a dynasty and yet it's hard enough to win cups in this salary cap league that winning one cup is good enough for me because of how the draft system and classes are. no one understands it, they just want to go against the system and think they will get a dynasty out of it when they find out they are the phoenix coyotes of suckage because they cant accept it for what it is and work with what you can control.
How do you propose to make this team a Cup contender? Explain how you see this team winning a Cup in the next five years.

Rebel247

Mar 19, 2022
I know they need more talent but the notion that it has to be top 3 picks?
Bolts have Stamkos from 100 years ago and Hedman that were top 3 picks.

Point, Vasilevski, sergachev, kucherov we’re all late first or later picks right?

They just have to pray some of Hextall/Fletcher draft picks finally start panning out. I think they have a shot with Gauthier, Forrester, York and Brink can start producing as Prov, Sanheim, Frost, Carter are hitting their primes and then hit on a trade or free agent signing.

Reactions: 04hockey

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
How do you propose to make this team a Cup contender? Explain how you see this team winning a Cup in the next five years.
they are building depth, we have carter hart, we have some good pieces on defense, we have some good forwards and then we can add a star and become a contender, what's insane is you are complaining for years about not having a great goalie and now we finally have one, you go 180 and have that become a problem again because you want bedard so bad.

you have no clue on how to build a team, every team that got superstars it was all luck, it wasnt by tanking, every team already pieces and lucked into those stars because they werent good enough., that's why they won cups.

you have to build depth and goaltending and luck into a star not tanking for one.

Reactions: 04hockey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
they are building depth, we have carter hart, we have some good pieces on defense, we have some good forwards and then we can add a star and become a contender, what's insane is you are complaining for years about not having a great goalie and now we finally have one, you go 180 and have that become a problem again because you want bedard so bad.

you have no clue on how to build a team, every team that got superstars it was all luck, it wasnt by tanking, every team already pieces and lucked into those stars because they werent good enough., that's why they won cups.

you have to build depth and goaltending and luck into a star not tanking for one.

You're talking like this isn't already a bottom five team.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

If we look at teams who have won the cup over the past 13 years, The Penguins had the #1 pick in 2003, #2 in 2004, #1 in 2005, and #2 in 2006. Blackhawks had the #1 pick in 2007, and the #3 pick in 2006. LA Kings had #2 in 2008, Tb had #1 in 2008 and #2 in 2009, Washington had #1 in 2004, and #4 in 2006, Colorado #2 in 2011, #1 in 2013, #4 in 2017, and #4 in 2019 (due to smart trade).

You are correct, that tanking doesn't guarantee winning the Cup, with Edmonton and Buffalo being the prime candidates, but notice how Edmonton is an annual threat, and Buffalo is on the rise with a large amount of high draft picks. Toronto also falls into this category, but there are also an annual threat to win the Cup.

Luck also plays a role as the Flyers LOST the lottery in 2007 so we got JVR instead of Kane, and we picked Patrick in 2017 who subsequently had medical issues.

But there also needs to be an element of competence in the organization, and I don't see that here. Smart teams keep their cap space open until they can bring in a player to put them over the top. We brought in JVR which I believe we can all say was unwise, and Ristolainen which seems like an overpayment under current cap conditions. We have a maxed cap space for a team by most people was picked to finish 4th worst overall. That is non-sensical.

So based on where the Flyers are today. I don't see any player in our system that is on pace to be a superstar. I don't see a competent management capable of developing talent (which actually means that even if the Flyers drafted Bedard, I don't have confidence that they could even make him a decent player), and I see a cap that has beed used unwisely. This team is not at all on pace to be a Cup contender.

I honestly see the only way this team can compete at all - tanking or not - is to have a complete tear down of the team all the way from the medical staff to the board of governors, all management, even in the minors, and the owner.

So to be honest, I still believre tanking is the best way to build a team in the Flyers situation, but I don't think anything can help this team become a contender until everyone is gone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't need a complete tear down, for one thing, that's not easy to do.
You do need a focus on the long-term, and avoid assuming an uptick means the rebuild is over.

Howie's a good example, after going 9-7, he made it clear the rebuild wasn't over, garnered an extra 1st and 2nd the next two years, traded a 1st and 3rd for a 24 year old star who he then got on a discount contract for four years. Added a bunch of guys on one year deals and late round draft pick trades - but kept his top picks. Didn't let making the playoffs fool him, he learned from his mistakes.

The key is having the organization focus on building a team, not trying to be competitive this year, but build a competitive team.
First, find out who's a keeper, then keep adding young talent until you hit critical mass.
If you can't land an elite player, build around depth of good players.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
You don't need a complete tear down, for one thing, that's not easy to do.
You do need a focus on the long-term, and avoid assuming an uptick means the rebuild is over.

Howie's a good example, after going 9-7, he made it clear the rebuild wasn't over, garnered an extra 1st and 2nd the next two years, traded a 1st and 3rd for a 24 year old star who he then got on a discount contract for four years. Added a bunch of guys on one year deals and late round draft pick trades - but kept his top picks. Didn't let making the playoffs fool him, he learned from his mistakes.

The key is having the organization focus on building a team, not trying to be competitive this year, but build a competitive team.
First, find out who's a keeper, then keep adding young talent until you hit critical mass.
If you can't land an elite player, build around depth of good players.

I agree. I just don't think that this management is capable of doing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad