Series Discussion: (3) Dallas Stars vs (6) Calgary Flames

Sep 13, 2009
If the Flames play like they did against the Jets - strong goaltending, solid 'd', all 4 lines contributing - they'll win this series. If they play like they usually do in the playoffs, they'll lose this series. Only time will tell which Flames team will show up.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Happy for this matchup, I think we matchup best against them. Also curious to see if Bishop is healthy, he hasnt played in any of the last 3 games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Happy for this matchup, I think we matchup best against them. Also curious to see if Bishop is healthy, he hasnt played in any of the last 3 games.
Reading some of the comments from Stars fans, they don't think he is and expect he won't be playing in the first game of the series. Some are speculating that its a groin injury as they are saying he is having even more difficulty than usual, moving side to side.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think it’s a good, tough matchup. I’m uber excited. Hopefully the Flames truly did learn their lesson against Colorado, and that team we saw last round shows up again.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If the Flames play like they did against the Jets - strong goaltending, solid 'd', all 4 lines contributing - they'll win this series. If they play like they usually do in the playoffs, they'll lose this series. Only time will tell which Flames team will show up.

yup i totally agreed, the flames will win.....or lose :naughty:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Any word on Gaudreau's injury / status?

If he's playing hurt it could significantly reduce Flames chances to advance.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Stir the engine? WTF is the Flames machine? A Ford Model T?
What? You've never heard of "stir the engine"? I suppose you're going to tell me you've never heard of "crank your pot"?

Reactions: Fig

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
Dallas top 4 Defense is very good and balanced.
Lindell has a heavy shoot and when on his game, he is a very good and physical shutdown defender.
When he is paired with Klingberg who brings the main offense to that D pair, key is to keep those big bodies moving down low IMO

Oleksiak and Heiskanen: big body and we all aware of heiskanen. If we can pressure Oleksiak enough that Heiskanen as to cover him, that could be the key to generate chances against that D pair.

Just my observations from maybe 10 Stars games .

what you guys think about their D?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
:flames6th Seed:stars3rd Seed
PPTied for 2nd (29.4%)17th (11.1%)
PK7th (88.2%)12th (83.3%)
GF PG4.00 (2nd)1.33 (T 21)
GA PG1.5 (3rd)3.33 (T 18)
Top Line
FW Depth
Defense
Goalies
7.5/10
9/10
8.5/10
8/10
7.5/10
8/10
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Underlying Storylines

Dallas

• How close to 100% is Seguin?
  • Ben Bishop played 1 game and appears far from his Vezina winning form. Who starts for Dallas?
  • Are the Stars ready for the playoffs? The Stars went 1-2 in the round robin averaging 1.33 goals for and 3.33 goals against.
Calgary
  • Can the Flames maintain their discipline defensively?
  • Can the top 9 generate consistent scoring opportunities while staying physical?
  • Do the Flames remain hungry after the play-in round success?
Contrary to most NHL analysts the teams are trending away from a long hard fought series. Dallas' players rank near the bottom of the teams remaining in goals for per game, goals against per game, and powerplay. Special teams and goaltending tend to dictate the winning team. Calgary dominates all these areas of the game statistically. Ben Bishop is either injured or out of form as shown by him being played in one game with a .875 save percentage.

Perry, Comeau, Cogliano and Pavelski are all on the the tail end of their careers. It is questionable if these older players all in the bottom 6 can keep up with the Flames.

The Stars have not looked at all ready for the playoffs. I remains to be seen if the older players on the Stars can shake the cobwebs out.

Calgary in 5

Reactions: Nanuuk

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We let things slip a bit in the second period but this definitely looks like a matchup that we can win. Really want that top line to stop defending so much and get behind the defence more, but overall we're looking solid. Their only offence was from plinko bullshit which anyone can get lucky with.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah how can 2 speedsters and a outstanding, physical, defensive center shut down our first line hmmm. Cogliano always caused this line fits in Anaheim... Comeau we have seen shut down other players. And your having problems seeing how this happened? Have you ever watched the playoffs before?
I don't understand why you keep making excuses for the subpar performance of the top line? It's been this way for literally 100 games.

Nothing about that lines performance today was acceptable. @Dack had it right - the flames are winning in spite of the top line. They need to do something about it, because Monahan has been this team's worst center through 5 games despite picking up some easy points. Dude can't even carry the puck through the neutral zone and his passing has been atrocious.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
We let things slip a bit in the second period but this definitely looks like a matchup that we can win. Really want that top line to stop defending so much and get behind the defence more, but overall we're looking solid. Their only offence was from plinko bullshit which anyone can get lucky with.
Bad bounces, sure. But that plinko shit is bound to happen when you spend large chunks of time in your own end.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Our lines give us an ideal chance to win rn. While the Monahan line is matched up with Comeau and they can't fully contribute offensively, all of our other lines just work. The big question is, does changing our 1st line improve our team? I think not. Our 2nd line gels together so well with their skillsets, I can't see any separation helping them. Our third line? Well, Lucic and Bennett gel well as bash brothers, they can grind together, Bennett can drive to the net out of the corner, they work it in them corners, really, everyhing is great between them outside of Lucic not being great on the breakout. Plus, Dube massively benefits from having two big, brusing players making space for him. And no one on the 4th line would improve our top line. It just makes sense to keep our lines the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad