3 Cups and 4 appearances: The It’s All Gravy Thread

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That one is bittersweet for me in the context of this thread.

Yes, it was a great win.

But management should have quietly met after that game and said "guys, we may win this thing. We have a lot of raw talent and character in that locker room. But: winning this way is not sustainable. We're going to have to retool this team - and ask Sully to make some systematic tweaks in the offseason - win-or-lose. Let's support our guys until this thing is over, but commit to making changes for next year."

Now the organizational retool is going to have to happen in June and July 2019 and there's a high chance it won't work. But if they don't try at all, this eulogizing thread is very appropriate.

Who cares though? We got two cups.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Who cares though? We got two cups.

I'm greedy. I'm thankful for the 3 Cups in 10 years, but it was clear after the 2017 playoffs that we needed a retool even if we won.

But staying on topic:
  • The Sid behind the back deflection against the Flyers in 2008
  • The Sid goal sliding on the ice from Recchi
  • Geno's monster game where he scored the winner in OT in 2009. From Staal!

• Another: how hard the 2011 team competed without 87 & 71 down the stretch. Taking that 1st round series to 7 games was quite an achievement without our two best players.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm greedy. I'm thankful for the 3 Cups in 10 years, but it was clear after the 2017 playoffs that we needed a retool even if we won.

But staying on topic:

• Another: how hard the 2011 team competed without 87 & 71 down the stretch. Taking that 1st round series to 7 games was quite an achievement without our two best players.

If we had Sid and Malkin in 2011 I feel like we could have made a run.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

But staying on topic:

In hindsight I’d say that team didn’t need to be retooled at all.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
In hindsight I’d say that team didn’t need to be retooled at all.

Well yeah, but retooled with a cohesive philosophy and good asset management. Potentially this is just a joke you're making that's going over my head.

During that summer, the only moves were losing Fleury - which everyone lost something good to VGK -, replacing Bonino with nothing, adding Hunwick and the Reaves trade. That's not much. And they didn't play well for most of the year, until getting hot before adding Brassard.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’m usually not a big fan of Doc, but his call on Bonino’s OT goal is something I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

That goal had me jumping off the couch running around the house like a crazy person.

Reactions: TheTang58

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We've been pretty fortunate over the last 35 years as it pertains to excellence. Yes there have been lean years, but they helped produce some of the best teams in the modern era. We were blessed to have five such teams (six if you count '93). We've arguably had the best player in the world for a 30 year period in succession. Looking at the big picture we're playing with house money.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I shed a tear when Hornqvist tucked one in super late in game 6. Like, they were really going to repeat. The improbability that it defied: 20 years since the last repeat, winning without Letang (or any star D), winning with a still-rookie goaltender, winning with Fleury, beating the Presidents' Caps twice...

2016 was mostly relief after losing game 5, but '17 stamped the team as remarkable.

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
I shed a tear when Hornqvist tucked one in super late in game 6. Like, they were really going to repeat. The improbability that it defied: 20 years since the last repeat, winning without Letang (or any star D), winning with a still-rookie goaltender, winning with Fleury, beating the Presidents' Caps twice...

2016 was mostly relief after losing game 5, but '17 stamped the team as remarkable.

The most remarkable thing to me was how that group was able to win again by playing much more conservative hockey than in '16 (due to loss of Letang). Truly a special group. Incredibly grateful to witness that as a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad