3 Cups and 4 appearances: The It’s All Gravy Thread

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
On Friday, January 18, 2007, Sid went down with a high ankle sprain in Tampa.

Nobody knew what was going to happen.

Then Geno went off for 30 points (12g, 18a) as the Pens went 9-4-4 and the line of MMS went to another level.

And then Ray Shero, knowing Sid was coming back, knowing where this team was, and after being pushed into taking the risk by Mario, made the deal for Hossa.

I think I'll always remember that 5 week period when Ray Shero's 5 year rebuilding plan went right out the window.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
- Game 6 against the Flyers in '18. Guentzel's 4 goals eliminated the Flyers and spoiled a 5-point game from Couturier.
- The Rangers series in '16. From flipping the net during the regular season to being pulled in the playoffs, they finally broke The King.
- Sid's series against the Sens in '10. I could watch his shift against Spezza for days.
- Game 4 and 6 against the Wings in '09
- Game 7 against the Caps in '09.
- Game 6 against the Flyers in '09. Can you say, "Shhhhh."
- Game 6 against the Flyers in '08.
- Every goal scored by Sid against the Islanders.
- Every highlight reel goal from Geno.

Plus, there's all the playoff goals from Rust, Horny, Kessel, and Talbot. Man...

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Major props to veteran mentors Sergei Gonchar, Gary Roberts, Bill Guerin, and Matt Cullen who led this team to Stanley Cup Finals.

Also loved Kovalev's return and the late 90s / early 00s nostalgia, despite it being brief.

Recchi being back was also cool.

Despite the jokes, Chris Kunitz was a damn good hockey player here.

Reactions: Justin Sickways

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
On Friday, January 18, 2007, Sid went down with a high ankle sprain in Tampa.

Nobody knew what was going to happen.

Then Geno went off for 30 points (12g, 18a) as the Pens went 9-4-4 and the line of MMS went to another level.

And then Ray Shero, knowing Sid was coming back, knowing where this team was, and after being pushed into taking the risk by Mario, made the deal for Hossa.

I think I'll always remember that 5 week period when Ray Shero's 5 year rebuilding plan went right out the window.

I remember getting on the bus to come home from school and seeing the text from my buddy that said “we got Hossa.” I was stunned because I thought he was messing with me and it didn’t actually happen. I also remember his overtime goal against the Rangers and his half pump fake celebration with everyone mobbing him

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@pixiesfanyo, this is so depressing. Geno is 32. Sid is 31. And, we've started a thread in case this is their swan song.

Sadder still is that I can't say it's inappropriate, because this is the type of mess it takes 2 years to fix, and that assumes you get everything right.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We're never gonna have another run like the Sid and Geno era in our lifetimes, most likely. It's been a blast, and it's truly been special--to use a phrase that's extremely appropriate, as opposed to how cliche it's become and how often it's thrown around nowadays--these guys are legitimately special, legendary players. I think Sid's a top-5 player all time, and Geno's top-15 or so.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I don't think this is the end of the road. They can still re tool and make another go at it, but the window is getting closer and closer to being closed.

But for arguments sake, lets say this is the beginning of the end. You'd be insane to say the Crosby/Malkin era was anything other than a huge success. Each has had a multitude of individual and team awards, they have the longest playoff streak going, and have won the most playoff games of any NHL team since the '05 lockout. Even after the second cup most of this board agreed everything after was gravy, and they added a cup after that.

Any way you chalk it up, we as a fan base have been insanely spoiled.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
How does this video look so old

Sid coming back after all the doubts he'd ever be the same player again

I remember watching Game 4 with my buddy in 2009 and when Staal scored that shorty I looked at him and said that would be the turning point moment in that series. That goal and that game flipped the script from the previous season

Reactions: StaalForOne

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Remember when Rinne was supposed to be unstoppable? Remember when everyone only remembers a 'missed goal call' and not this game, or a 5 on 3? Murray was such a f'n beast.

- The entire 2016 run. After the start of that season, I remember every game from January onward being such an absolute joy.
- Knowing after rolling the Rangers in the first round that we were looking VERY strong.

- Bryan Rust and Patric Hornqvist in the playoffs. Studs.
- Sid and Geno doing Sid and Geno things. Spin-o-Rama goals, OT dazzles, dominance, just an absolute treat to have those guys in our sweaters.

Ups and downs, this team has been a pleasure to follow. My favorite memories came from those two recent cup runs though. Something about those teams had me just enamored with the squad we had. Chemistry top to bottom - they played their hearts out for one another and it was fun to witness.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@pixiesfanyo, this is so depressing. Geno is 32. Sid is 31. And, we've started a thread in case this is their swan song.

Sadder still is that I can't say it's inappropriate, because this is the type of mess it takes 2 years to fix, and that assumes you get everything right.

I mean to be honest. Look at Chicago and LA. We did way better and those guys had a prime that just toasted us.

Also, honestly maybe we are so bad for three years we bring in the next wave ala the Sharks. Think of some of their horrible deals.

I could see Sid and Geno getting pissed and demanding for change tho which is the coolest part about those dudes. Don’t give a f***.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We still have Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. No matter what garbage they're surrounded with, that will be enough most years to make the playoffs at least. So there's that.

Where some are getting at....

Are we a few pieces(the right ones) away from being a top contender again?

Has the coach already ran his course(nothing personal against Sully but we see this alot). And unfortunately if true, youre not gonna move on from a coach this close removed from back to back cups.

Is Murray the answer....right now? I dont doubt he will be our starter of the future but are we going to have to deal with the ups and downs we see from many young goalies before settling down? We had to deal with so much with Fleury for so long(not saying Murray is that up and down) it would be horrible to basically end this era due to that.

Those are my questions. And have no idea what the answer is. Probably a little of everything.

Reactions: Pancakes

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I mean to be honest. Look at Chicago and LA. We did way better and those guys had a prime that just toasted us.

Also, honestly maybe we are so bad for three years we bring in the next wave ala the Sharks. Think of some of their horrible deals.

I could see Sid and Geno getting pissed and demanding for change tho which is the coolest part about those dudes. Don’t give a ****.

Thing is, the Sharks took a buyer and seller approach at the 2013 deadline (the year we got Murray from them), and that's where they got a jump start on those new pieces.

BTW, I don't think Sid and Geno will demand change. They put up with a lot of **** at the end of Shero/Bylsma and the beginning of JR. Got dumped on and said nothing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Thing is, the Sharks took a buyer and seller approach at the 2013 deadline (the year we got Murray from them), and that's where they got a jump start on those new pieces.

BTW, I don't think Sid and Geno will demand change. They put up with a lot of **** at the end of Shero/Bylsma and the beginning of JR. Got dumped on and said nothing.

Nah. Sharks made plenty of bad decisions. We can very easily recover from this IF upper management acknowledges there is a problem..

Reactions: Crafton and KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
One I don't think has been mentioned yet: Guentzel's game winner in game 1 of the 2017 SCF. First penguin shot in 37 minutes.

That one is bittersweet for me in the context of this thread.

Yes, it was a great win.

But management should have quietly met after that game and said "guys, we may win this thing. We have a lot of raw talent and character in that locker room. But: winning this way is not sustainable. We're going to have to retool this team - and ask Sully to make some systematic tweaks in the offseason - win-or-lose. Let's support our guys until this thing is over, but commit to making changes for next year."

Now the organizational retool is going to have to happen in June and July 2019 and there's a high chance it won't work. But if they don't try at all, this eulogizing thread is very appropriate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad