Series Talk: (3) Boston v. (4) New York Islanders

Series outcome

• Total voters

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
I picked B's in 5. So which player on the Isles are we supposed to hate, wanna make sure I get it right. lol

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
The downfall of the Penguins came down to goaltending. I don’t think we’ll have that issue but I feel like we’ll somehow struggle to score. I pick Islanders in 6 because that’s just my gut feeling but would be delighted if I was wrong about this.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Curious how it will work out. Bruins have the edge but the Islanders top 3 lines are very good, and people call their 4th line one of the best in the league. Add in a good coach, a structured defensive system, and a hot "rookie" goalie and it seems like the Bruins will need all four lines contributing to get this done.

Reactions: Gordoff

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The downfall of the Penguins came down to goaltending. I don’t think we’ll have that issue but I feel like we’ll somehow struggle to score. I pick Islanders in 6 because that’s just my gut feeling but would be delighted if I was wrong about this.

Jarry vs Rask is a massive difference.

But also Bostons 3-6 forwards beat Pens pretty clearly.
Pasta/Hall/Krejci/Smith

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Komarov Barzal Eberle < Bergeron Line
Beauvillier Nelson Bailey < Krejci Line
Palmeiri JPG Wahlstrom Ritchie Coyle Debrusk
Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck > Kuraly Lazar Wagner

Pelech Pulock < Gryz Mcavoy
Leddy Mayfield Reilly Carlo
Green Dobson Lauzon Clifton

Sorokin < Rask

Wahlstrom was a game time decision in game 7 so I expect him to be back for game 1. Lauzon is back skating full time so I expect him to be back too.

We have the advantage in talent by far IMO. It’s what Trotz does with the limited talent he has, they buy in to his system and if they’re sticking to it they can be hard to beat for sure.

Our top 6 is easily more talented, especially if Barzal continues to struggle as he did last series. Komarov seems to be slowing that line down.

I give their bottom 6 the edge on the Bruins. That 4th line is one of, if not the best in the league. The JPG line was looking good with Wahlstrom in there before he was hurt. JPG has given us fits in the past, same with the NJD Palmeiri. Palms has started to produce in the playoffs, he may be back to form as Bruins killer.

Their top pairing is very good, but Mcavoy puts ours over the top. Their second pairing is meh, Leddy can be a liability in his own end. Third pairing is also meh.

Bruins have the edge in net, Sorokin is playing real well right now but Tuukka is well.. Tuukka. They won’t be shooting on a Jarry, gonna be a big reality check for them.

Should be a pretty fun series but ultimately I think Bruins talent will break down Trotz’s system. I still have Bruins in 6, sticking to it.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Going to be a hard fought series.I still think Bruins top 6 is better and no Lee is a hole to deep to fill for Islanders.My pick is Bruins in 6.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
it will not be an easy series. Pollock & Pelich are going to give bergeron, pastrnak, & marchand fits. They are very good at keeping
everything to the outside.

This is where home ice comes in.Bruins get last change Saturday .The faceoff dot will be key in this series.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I can't help but to go back to 13 year old me seeing this thread title. 1983. I was a Bruins fan starting like 79 but it's fuzzy and 1983's memory is clear as day. It was not easy being an out of state fan back then, as you could only see your team when they played the locals or when USA Network aired your games (it was them IIRC)....I would actually listen to Bruins game on Buffalo and Montreal am radio (was easy to tell when the Habs scored, but didn;t understand a word of French).....anyways 1983 was going to be the Bruins year...

ESPN followed Pete Peeters unbeaten streak as their top story some mornings....that team was the best in the league and the Bruins were going to put an end to the islanders reign. I have grown to actually like those Islander teams, but I hated them fiercely back then.

Somehow I survived the Sabres series, and when the Bruins lost game 1 vs the Isles I wasn't too concerned. They rebounded with a solid Bruins like 4-1 victory in game 2. I have never felt more confident in my team then I did after that game.

Then came games 3 and 4. There are literally no words to describe the bludgeoning the Bruins took in those two games. 15-6 in two games. The popcorn vendor could have scored in Uniondale. Had HF existed back then the mods would have needed valium. For those of us that witnessed it, the complete dismantling of a 50 win regular season team it was like having your insides ripped out, your soul taken. The gap between the teams was not closer, it was as far apart as it ever was. I remember crying in my bedroom after the series. I got into a fight at school with an Islander fan as well who I was friends with.. It was gut wrenching.

This series is my redemption. Thirty eight freakin years in the making. If the results are the same, well no promises 51 year old me won't be crying in my bedroom again.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Can’t believe I’m rooting for the Bruins. But it’s for the good of the game. Plus it’ll be funny to see you guys beat the Leafs in the CF.
Yep, go Bruins. I’m bitter now having lost 8 of the last 10 games against them in the playoffs.

Some skaters like Crosby, Guentzel were disappointments but this past series was lost mostly because of the goalie.

PastaBaked

May 8, 2021
Bruins in 6. The D has really tightened up since the playoffs started (after some sloppy play to end the season). We'll be tough to break down - we have a very good defensive system too.

So excited to watch the top 2 lines go to work - this is hopefully a series where the Hall/Krejci can work some magic.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Lou, I remember that series well. Pete Peters had an MVP caliber year, Kasper and Luc Dufour were harassing Bossy and Trottier, the B's were the better team in game 2. That sure didn't last.

I picked the Isles in 6. Hope I'm wrong. The Isles forward group are relentless. B's will fare better with two top lines now, but I have a feeling the Isles will frustrate the top two lines, and match up better in the bottom two pairings.

And yes, we are all gonna hate Komarov real soon.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lou, I remember that series well. Pete Peters had an MVP caliber year, Kasper and Luc Dufour were harassing Bossy and Trottier, the B's were the better team in game 2. That sure didn't last.

I picked the Isles in 6. Hope I'm wrong. The Isles forward group are relentless. B's will fare better with two top lines now, but I have a feeling the Isles will frustrate the top two lines, and match up better in the bottom two pairings.

And yes, we are all gonna hate Komarov real soon.

Bah, I thought he was a non-factor 8 years ago when he was with the Leafs in 2013. Can't see that being any different here in 2021. he did rack up 17 PIMs in 7 playoff games, so maybe his contribution to this series will be putting the Bruins on the PP often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad