GDT: 3/7/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Dallas VS Tampa Bay

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah Sustr needs a breather and to watch a game. Just looks a bit overwhelmed and I don't blame him. The injuries really mixed everything up on him.

Not that we should make a habit of it but I'd like to see at least a couple more comeback wins just so we are confident heading into the postseason.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well, when you play Dallas, weird things happen. A win is a win, even if it wasn't a good win. It is fun to watch two high powered teams play, though haha.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
had a guy today on facebook say sustr is now playing better?

He has 100 games and from what ive seen nesterov is out playing him by a LOT or large margin lol and he is 6-8 just unreal not sure what people see.

He is even in plus minus last 10 games but was a plus 3 in san jose game and that helped a lot.

I hope sustr develops but at 25 in november im beginning to have SERIOUS RESERVATIONS on the kid

I see him making bad decisions and dont see learning he relies on reach and size more then learning craft at least thats what im seeing.

And no 100 games is not enough but he needs to improve. I dont know that he is wore out or that he just isnt playing well with whatever partner

OR if nesterov is just impressing me that much

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Nesterov over Sustr is a mistake. Sustr has his ups and downs, but he can play at this level. Nesterov is clearly over his head.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Nesterov is way better at pinching in than Sustr. In over his head? Not more than any other rookie might be.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
had a guy today on facebook say sustr is now playing better?

He has 100 games and from what ive seen nesterov is out playing him by a LOT or large margin lol and he is 6-8 just unreal not sure what people see.

He is even in plus minus last 10 games but was a plus 3 in san jose game and that helped a lot.

I hope sustr develops but at 25 in november im beginning to have SERIOUS RESERVATIONS on the kid

I see him making bad decisions and dont see learning he relies on reach and size more then learning craft at least thats what im seeing.

And no 100 games is not enough but he needs to improve. I dont know that he is wore out or that he just isnt playing well with whatever partner

OR if nesterov is just impressing me that much

Defensemen shouldn't be judged too harshly before 250games. Big defensemen take even longer more often than not. The organization seems to love Sustr so don't bank on him going anywhere just yet. It'd be a mistake IMO to give up on a guy with that frame. I think he'd be fine 3rd pairing right side with a quality player to his left. Carle won't be here much longer. It'll have to be someone else. I think Nesterov is winning in a battle with Barberio so Barbs is probably gone in the off season as well.

Koekkoek could play 3rd pair left side next year(for some games) I bet, but I don't know if that's the development path they want for him.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Nesterov is way better at pinching in than Sustr. In over his head? Not more than any other rookie might be.

Nesterov's competition is Barbs really. Barbs can't play the right side nearly as well as Nesterov. Nesterov will make Barbs redundant and he's more versatile and more physical as well.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Nesterov is better than Sustr. Sustr has the reach, but he has very limited mobility and very questionable hockey sense. I take Nesterov over Sustr 10/10 times.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Defensemen shouldn't be judged too harshly before 250games. Big defensemen take even longer more often than not. The organization seems to love Sustr so don't bank on him going anywhere just yet. It'd be a mistake IMO to give up on a guy with that frame. I think he'd be fine 3rd pairing right side with a quality player to his left. Carle won't be here much longer. It'll have to be someone else. I think Nesterov is winning in a battle with Barberio so Barbs is probably gone in the off season as well.

Koekkoek could play 3rd pair left side next year(for some games) I bet, but I don't know if that's the development path they want for him.

I don't even think it's about the bad decisions for Sustr. Those would be a lot more forgivable if you could see exactly what it was he was trying to hone. But when you go down the list of raw skills (skating, shooting, passing etc), he falls into the "below average" category with most things. At the moment I would say he's our poorest skating defenseman, he's probably our poorest shooting defenseman (not sure how he compares to Coburn), and he's about as physical as Barbs (Barbs actually gets into trouble, IMO, when he ties to play physical, whereas Sustr just rarely tries).

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I don't even think it's about the bad decisions for Sustr. Those would be a lot more forgivable if you could see exactly what it was he was trying to hone. But when you go down the list of raw skills (skating, shooting, passing etc), he falls into the "below average" category with most things. At the moment I would say he's our poorest skating defenseman, he's probably our poorest shooting defenseman (not sure how he compares to Coburn), and he's about as physical as Barbs (Barbs actually gets into trouble, IMO, when he ties to play physical, whereas Sustr just rarely tries).

To be fair, last night when Palat was plastered, it was Barbs that looked like that was challenging that guy to a fight but he turned it down. Kind of unsuspecting of him. I would say barbs has definitely been the more physical of the two. That is just sad in all actuality however.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To be fair, last night when Palat was plastered, it was Barbs that looked like that was challenging that guy to a fight but he turned it down. Kind of unsuspecting of him. I would say barbs has definitely been the more physical of the two. That is just sad in all actuality however.

That's not really what I mean by "playing physical." I mean, Barbs will sometimes try to play the man and just get flat-out outmuscled. I've always felt he'd be much better if he copied the game of defensemen who have little to no physicality whatsoever in their game but remain effective.

Sustr doesn't even really try to play a physical game. Which would be fine, if there was something he actually did at an above average level. But there's nothing he's shown so far that makes me think he'll ever be above average at any one thing. I don't see how it's a matter of gaining experience for him, as it is with most defensemen. Sustr's just big. That's it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The thing Nesterov has and neither Barbs nor Sustr possess is a good hockey sense. Nesterov knows when to pinch, how to be useful to his partners and he's capable to create scoring chances by himself. I keep hearing he makes too many mistakes, it's been true but I'd like them to be pointed out over his past 2 games... We're seeing a kid slowly developing poise now and just as a reminder NN has the best possession numbers on the team too. He's not the best but he ain't too bad neither. Barberio and Sustr played very poorly yesterday but it's just one more game. Nesterov will be sent down because Carle is the true answer for that bottom pairing and Cooper plays it very conservative with the rookies (in general & on the long term for Nesterov himself I believe it's a good thing). Would love to be proven wrong though.

As for the game, the whole team deserves a F for the defensive side, Cally was a beast for 2 periods. A win is a win.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Sustr as a 6 is fine. Which he will be once Carle comes back.

All I know is until Carle comes back I don't want to see Barberio anywhere near the ice over Nesterov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad