Post-Game Talk: 3/6/13 Avs Lose 3-2 l We Actually Need More Hunwick, Not Less! l Part II

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why? O'Reilly was better than game 1 but he's still not firing on all cylinders. Staz and Landy did well together against a team on a historic run, and after his benching Jones busted ass. With Landy still getting better himself, I wouldn't shake things up until ROR and Gabe are closer to top form.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Why? O'Reilly was better than game 1 but he's still not firing on all cylinders. Staz and Landy did well together against a team on a historic run, and after his benching Jones busted ass. With Landy still getting better himself, I wouldn't shake things up until ROR and Gabe are closer to top form.

O'Reilly looked awesome tonight (minus the Toews thing). He was stealing pucks left and right and set up Mitchell with an awesome move to the middle.

If we want to win hockey games, it's time to load up ROR with Landy and Staz on wing or leave Staz with Jones and Palushaj and let Hejduk play with ROR and Landy just like last season.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
"Moral victories don't do anything for you. Is our game close to being really good? Yeah, it is, but it's not good enough. Right now we're finding ways to lose." - Shane O'Brien

I don't like him on the ice sometimes but I think he's a good locker room dude.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
*shrug* maybe it's cause I live in chicago, but let them enjoy it, their team is doing something incredible, they're playing great tough hockey and gritting out wins. While it sucked that Bolland's play wasn't spotted and that some homer fans don't acknowledge that, they absolutely deserved that win, if we had buried any number of chances and avoided stupid mistakes that play wouldn't have changed the game.

This, I have no problem with the Hawks or their fans. Let them enjoy it because I know I sure as hell enjoyed the glory years. They're a good team with likeable players that plays hard every night.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Because I want to see the Avs win.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
On the road, I think it was the right choice to go with 3 strong centers, but at home on Friday where we can get the matchups we want I'd like to see us load up that second line with Landeskog - O'reilly - Staz.

Hopefully EJ is back in the lineup but of course they shouldn't rush him.

Just hope they go all out again and try to break the streak.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
O'Reilly looked awesome tonight (minus the Toews thing). He was stealing pucks left and right and set up Mitchell with an awesome move to the middle.

If we want to win hockey games, it's time to load up ROR with Landy and Staz on wing or leave Staz with Jones and Palushaj and let Hejduk play with ROR and Landy just like last season.

I see no harm in trying it for a few shifts atleast whats the worse that can happen honestly. Also EJ needs to come back pronto.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
But he's the best defensive forward in the past 25 years.

Gawd.. people are going to be making comments about O'Reilly for days (probably years) he is what he is and he is paid what hes paid.

Can we just hope that he lives up to being worth 5M a year? Personally I think at this point it's only a matter of time before him and Landeskog are reunited. Stastny just hasn't played with any passion for a while...

Mant*

Gawd.. people are going to be making comments about O'Reilly for days (probably years) he is what he is and he is paid what hes paid.

Can we just hope that he lives up to being worth 5M a year? Personally I think at this point it's only a matter of time before him and Landeskog are reunited. Stastny just hasn't played with any passion for a while...

No, he has to live up to being worth 6.5M per year, because that's what his next contract is going to be based on.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This was a back to back so it's a bit different but Sacco needs to stop trying to keep everyone happy. Give your best players more ice time. Mitchell was brought in to be a 4th line center, he doesn't need to play 17-18 mins per game. It's also okay to make some adjustments during the game and move some players around.

No, he has to live up to being worth 6.5M per year, because that's what his next contract is going to be based on.

He got a $2.5M bonus and is making $1M (pro-rated) for the rest of the season. Bring up the $6.5M/yr next season and if/when he signs his next contract. Right now he just needs to live up to the $3.5M.

Last edited by a moderator:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I know most everyone is still pissed at RoR for the holdout...but I really think it's time to let him back into a more prominent role. He isn't going to live up to his salary sitting on the 3rd line and the Landeskog/Staz thing has been decent but not great, so I think it's time to reunite Lando and ROR to see if they still have chemistry. Also ROR needs to get back on the PK cause he's good at defending and obviously the current PK pairs aren't working. Next game I'd like to see

McPing-Duchene-PAP
Lando-ROR-Palushaj/Hejduk
Palushaj/Hejduk-Staz-Kobasew
McLeod-Mitchell-Jones/Bordeleau

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well we lost to the best team and were pretty unlucky doing so.
I am all for the panic mode but this game is not the one that should trigger it.

Just look at the Kings, Leafs, Devils, Coyotes and the Blues of last year (don't know what happened to them this year). Coaching matters. A lot.
You can not tell me that the Leafs are a much more talented hockey club. You just can not. They might be further along agewise with their core but the main difference is plain and simply coaching.

I really don't want to trade Stastny right now but if we do, we better not "dump" him. We need to see how he would do under a coach that actually coaches.

If we trade one of our centers, we MUST get a partner for EJ or atleast a top 15 1st+ in this draft back. We can not continue wasting assets. So if Calgary does not want Stastny, keep him :sarcasm:.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Thought of the night:

Duchene and PAP 40pts combined and is a +6 (which its difficult to be a + on a bad team that is getting consistently outscored) on the year, combined make 7.5M. I'd consider this excellent production compared to value. at approx a point per game pace.

Stastny and Jones 20pts combined and are a combined -12 on the year and make 10.6M combined. Approx .5 pts per game pace. I'd consider this awful production compared to value.

Throw int he fact that the other teams usually send out their best defensive pair against Duchene and PAP, something is wrong with this picture.

Well Jones and Stastny suck, simple as that. :help:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This was a back to back so it's a bit different but Sacco needs to stop trying to keep everyone happy. Give your best players more ice time. Mitchell was brought in to be a 4th line center, he doesn't need to play 17-18 mins per game. It's also okay to make some adjustments during the game and move some players around.

He got a $2.5M bonus and is making $1M (pro-rated) for the rest of the season. Bring up the $6.5M/yr next season and if/when he signs his next contract. Right now he just needs to live up to the $3.5M.

True. He's only making 3,5 million. But his cap-hit is $5 million. That's what matters to me. He has to play like he's worth $5 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Well we lost to the best team and were pretty unlucky doing so.
I am all for the panic mode but this game is not the one that should trigger it.

Just look at the Kings, Leafs, Devils, Coyotes and the Blues of last year (don't know what happened to them this year). Coaching matters. A lot.
You can not tell me that the Leafs are a much more talented hockey club. You just can not. They might be further along agewise with their core but the main difference is plain and simply coaching.

I really don't want to trade Stastny right now but if we do, we better not "dump" him. We need to see how he would do under a coach that actually coaches.

If we trade one of our centers, we MUST get a partner for EJ or atleast a top 15 1st+ in this draft back. We can not continue wasting assets. So if Calgary does not want Stastny, keep him :sarcasm:.

You forgot how improved Canadiens is this season with a new coach and some minor trades and FA signings. Then there is Ducks that are doing great with Bruce B. Yeah I would also like to see how Stastny performs with a new coach that has a structure to his game plan and tactics not just "work hard, skate a lot, hit then dump and
chase" which is Sacco's master plan.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Well that sucked. Outshot once again and blew another lead. It's hilarious when this team tries to sit on a lead. Too often they try not to lose instead of going out and trying to win. I thought we played well overall but it doesn't matter if we don't get the points.

Fourth worst team in the league now.

I don't know what game you were watching but the Avalanche did not try to sit on a lead, they pushed back all night against a team who is leaps and bounds better than they are.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Just finished watching the game, that was a proper heartbreaker. Hockey is a funny game, isn't it? Two very good performances earned the Avs 0 points while they actually got a point in Columbus while playing horribly.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I thought Duchene and Palushaj played great games for you guys. Didnt notice ROR PA or Landy to much.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought Duchene and Palushaj played great games for you guys. Didnt notice ROR PA or Landy to much.

Not a great game by Landy. There were times he looked downright lost out there last night. O'Reilly is still getting his legs back--I saw some good stuff he did at both ends (amazing how much work he puts in the defensive zone) but there's still some hesitation in his game.

PA wasn't bad, but Dutchy and McGinn were definitely carrying the load for that line last night.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We actually played a pretty good game last night. ROR is getting close to being back to the player he was last year. While I'm not happy about the holdout, it is over and done with now, he needs to be fed ice time as he earns it. IMO he has earned more ice time. Sacco needs to either move Stastny to RW and move ROR up, or change up the middle lines. Put Landy and ROR back together with Palushaj on the right and Mitchell up with Stastny and Jones. Then play both of those lines about ~18 minutes.

Also, give ROR some PK time!!! He has been our best PK player for years, and our PK is pretty much terrible. You would think this would be easy to recognize. I understand he may not be in good enough game shape to handle a huge amount of minutes there, but I would think he can handle 1 per game ATM.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We actually played a pretty good game last night. ROR is getting close to being back to the player he was last year. While I'm not happy about the holdout, it is over and done with now, he needs to be fed ice time as he earns it. IMO he has earned more ice time. Sacco needs to either move Stastny to RW and move ROR up, or change up the middle lines. Put Landy and ROR back together with Palushaj on the right and Mitchell up with Stastny and Jones. Then play both of those lines about ~18 minutes.

Also, give ROR some PK time!!! He has been our best PK player for years, and our PK is pretty much terrible. You would think this would be easy to recognize. I understand he may not be in good enough game shape to handle a huge amount of minutes there, but I would think he can handle 1 per game ATM.

You would think moving Stazz to RW would be a creative, possibly innovative move. Unfortunately our coach's idea of "innovative" is rolling out five forwards on the power play. :facepalm:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If management is considering moving Stastny, they will continue to keep Landeskog with him. The smart thing to do as a coach would be to keep Landeskog with him as well, so my conclusion is Landeskog will rejoin O'Reilly in a couple games or Stastny will be traded at the deadline.

Both scenarios are stupid, imo.

We lost that game because of poor reffing decisions, but the announcers made Sacco sound like he discovered fire because of his so called 'game plan'.

Sacco has never used the trap before, that was clearly not his decision.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I think its absolutely sad that so many of you think moving ROR back with Lando is going to change this team...

We ARE the WORST team when combining PP and PK.

If we were even remotely average, we'd be so much better off.

But no, dont blame the system, or the style of play, or the PP or the PK or the breakouts or the defensive zone strategy, or the entry zone strategy...

because its Stastny's fault he didnt fight in the corner once on the PP. He's the reason we suck. I mean, he's only got 12 pts in the last 16 games. He's also playing against top competition, leading player on PK and getting the most D-zone starts. Oh, and I think hes got the most or 2nd most 3rd period points on the team.

Ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad