GDT: 3/5/23 - 3:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This recent stretch reminds me of the good ole days, except those teams at least tried
The good ol days of last March?

Seeing some fundamental issues that the trade deadline did not fix or does not fit. This is not the 2020 team. This team seems to chase the play, rather than set it up. Not what TB has been in past. But, maybe you are right. We will see and it will be tough every round.
Are we completely ignoring everything pre 10 games ago?

Reactions: Maelmoor

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I am sure this team is doing the same thing they did last year where they are packing it in but if you think the level of play is comparable you haven’t been paying attention. We lost but it didn’t look like the bottom fell out like this game, and we certainly didn’t string out multi-turd games in a row like we are now

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Today's game not withstanding, what scoring problems? The team has been top 4 or 5 all year basically in scoring, around 3.5-3.6 per game average. Overall, scoring goals has not been the issue. They have now lost 11 games this in which they scored at least 3 goals. Overall team defense has been the #1 issue,.especially these last 10 games or so. Before that, they were around 2.85 allowed per game, which was only ~.1 worse per game than last year or '19-'20. It's a terrible slump right now, but provided Hedman isn't out long term and the team starts to get back to where they were 3 or so weeks ago, they'll have a chance.

We have one line that consistently carries play. When it scores it scores a bunch and drives up averages. When it doesn't do shit we get ran into the dirt. This is the same principle as that time Matt Carle was like a +6 in a game once and it artificially inflated his average the entire season

Anything not Point or Kucherov is slumping or broken

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I am sure this team is doing the same thing they did last year where they are packing it in but if you think the level of play is comparable you haven’t been paying attention. We lost but it didn’t look like the bottom fell out like this game, and we certainly didn’t string out multi-turd games in a row like we are now
Literally the same posts happened last year. And the year before.

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
at this point just be the 7th or 8th seed to not be a footnote on who the Leafs beat to make it into the second round.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Are you saying nobody should be concerned? Because if your point is the team did great the last few years and we aren’t being rational thinking this time is different, don’t make excuses for them if they get their asses kicked later

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think we have some extra gears and we will start to kick those in during the run up to the postseason. I think the team will still do well, but this doesn’t look like a championship caliber team having a slump. This looks like a team with no talent and without anything to play for

Reactions: RDTBay4

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Are you saying nobody should be concerned? Because if your point is the team did great the last few years and we aren’t being rational thinking this time is different, don’t make excuses for them if they get their asses kicked later
No, it’s fine. It’s just not unheralded.

I don't remember losing 5 staraight games for the past 3 years. Please refresh my memory.
Literally like five posts with twitters embedded but yeah lemme get that for you

Reactions: The Macho King

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think they've lost faith in themselves, and lost the belief that they deserve to win.

Reactions: Byrddog

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think they've lost faith in themselves, and lost the belief that they deserve to win.

That and it's not like the other years where you have the personel to turn it on when it matters, there's lot of good teams right now and our roster isn't heads and shoulders above the rest of the field like before.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is true. I think it's been going on since 2016 when we would say "they dont look like they did last year," and then every year had a new "last year" to remember fondly.

That said, I do think they've lost their swagger in a way I cant remember. I think this is a bigger mental hurdle than they've faced before. They've ALWAYS been lazy when they could afford it. Going back to Ben Bishop and Matt Carle and the gang. This doesn't look like laziness so much like giving up once the game turns against them.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
You might want to take a look at the overall player stats in Syracuse before you ask for a specific player to be brought up. Neither him or Koepke are playing well enough to deserve a call up, let alone have earned one.

That does not say much for the team that only had 14 shots on goal and got shutout then.
It’s just Rudy didn’t really get a real look since being acquired and he has a scoring touch. Didn’t look bad the one game he’s played for us.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
It’s just Rudy didn’t really get a real look since being acquired and he has a scoring touch. Didn’t look bad the one game he’s played for us.
As I mentioned, his play in Syracuse has not been anything close to call up worthy. He has been tried on every line and in every situation, but still does not seem to have the "jump" that folks remember him having. Koepke is the same way, a mere shell of the player he was last season for the Crunch. Neither have done enough to warrant a call up, but that is just person's opinion.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
As I mentioned, his play in Syracuse has not been anything close to call up worthy. He has been tried on every line and in every situation, but still does not seem to have the "jump" that folks remember him having. Koepke is the same way, a mere shell of the player he was last season for the Crunch. Neither have done enough to warrant a call up, but that is just person's opinion.
Thanks! Who’s closest to being NHL material?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
That and it's not like the other years where you have the personel to turn it on when it matters, there's lot of good teams right now and our roster isn't heads and shoulders above the rest of the field like before.
Agreed that other teams are better, but what with the personnel on the Lightning? These current players were part of the team that ran the gauntlet last year:

Stamkos
Kuch
Point
Hagel
Killorn
Paul
Cirelli
Colton
Maroon
Perry
ABB
Hedman
Serge
Cernak
Bogosian
Vasi

Like 80% of the current team

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Thanks! Who’s closest to being NHL material?
Egads, what a question.
Forwards I would have to say ABB is the most ready. Ryfors, Goncalves, and Dumont are not currently full time NHL ready and should be considered call ups.
For Defense; Raddysh is the closest to being ready. Carrick and Myers are in the same boat as far as what they will contribute as call ups. Day would have made this list last year but has not showed the same scoring ability he did last year.
The organization may very well have its goalie of the future in Alnefelt. Problem is, Vassy is not that old and Hugo is showing signs of being far more valuable as a regular goalie than a ten or so games a year backup.
Overall, some of the younger players (Finley, Edmonds, Fortier, Carlile) are showing promise as well but will need at least another season in the AHL to improve their skill level.

Reactions: Peacefool

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I don't think its bad at the moment, but just young. Really wished Koepke could have been that guy, figured after last year in Syracuse he'd fit in nicely with one of Paul/Colton/Maroon somewhere but it just didn't happen. Carlile looks better by the day.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed that other teams are better, but what with the personnel on the Lightning? These current players were part of the team that ran the gauntlet last year:

Stamkos
Kuch
Point
Hagel
Killorn
Paul
Cirelli
Colton
Maroon
Perry
ABB
Hedman
Serge
Cernak
Bogosian
Vasi

Like 80% of the current team
A couple of those guys look 10 years older, unfortunately.

I think we need to put Nick Paul back in a steady position to succeed. Not only has he been a breath of fresh air when given the opportunity, but he also doesn't have the heavy miles on him like most of the other guys. With a little luck, Jeannot will bring that Buffalo game-type intensity, and Hagel will figure out how to score when not on the top line.

I don't know if it's accumulated fatigue (I'm not sure if that's a real thing or just an excuse, honestly) or if the team is just starting to doubt themselves in a serious way for the first time in a decade or so.

I don't know if the current slump is the beginning of the end, or if it's just some more adversity to overcome. But I do think this slump is different/scarier than slumps in recent years, because they don't look lazy so much as they look like a team that doesn't believe in themselves.

...They've always been a little lazy. They've even kind of worked it to their advantage in the last three years. But these past couple of weeks look like a team that can't find the gas pedal even when they're eager to go for it.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022

Are we completely ignoring everything pre 10 games ago?
Problem is that 10 games ago doesn't mean much tonight. Last 10 is more indicative of the future than last month. How many times have you seen Vegas use last month to set their numbers? Sorry, until they correct it they are down...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A couple of those guys look 10 years older, unfortunately.

I think we need to put Nick Paul back in a steady position to succeed. Not only has he been a breath of fresh air when given the opportunity, but he also doesn't have the heavy miles on him like most of the other guys. With a little luck, Jeannot will bring that Buffalo game-type intensity, and Hagel will figure out how to score when not on the top line.

I don't know if it's accumulated fatigue (I'm not sure if that's a real thing or just an excuse, honestly) or if the team is just starting to doubt themselves in a serious way for the first time in a decade or so.

I don't know if the current slump is the beginning of the end, or if it's just some more adversity to overcome. But I do think this slump is different/scarier than slumps in recent years, because they don't look lazy so much as they look like a team that doesn't believe in themselves.

...They've always been a little lazy. They've even kind of worked it to their advantage in the last three years. But these past couple of weeks look like a team that can't find the gas pedal even when they're eager to go for it.

I think this is it, "fatigue" is such a lame excuse and only comes up when we start losing, if they blow a team out next week are they just not tired anymore? How does a fatigued team hold 3rd place in the toughest division in the league the entire year. Again, people have no idea how fit and how much resources these players have to stay game ready year round, it's not like they play playoff style hockey year round either, the majority of the season of their equivalent of pond hockey.

This stretch of poor play is some complacency that's typical around this time of year along with the fact that we've lost some depth or confidence that would otherwise bail us out of some poor played games. Is it all that different than some of the other mid-late season games of the past couple years except we aren't potting in those couple of goals in the last 2mins of the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00