GDT: 3/5/23 - 3:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I am not sure what Cooper's vision for this team is anymore. You watch Carolina, Boston, Colorado last year you can see what they are assembling and how they want to play. Under Cooper the last 2 years we have blurred into somethng that doesn't seem to be sustainable. The style we played in last year's playoffs was painful to watch and on players bodies. Does Cooper want every season to be a war of attrition where we are blocking 35 shots a game a night? We have been successful because of the great talent, not the system.

I disagree with this. Tampa tried the offense first mentality, let's win games 6-4 or 5-4,etc, for years, and come playoffs they failed when scoring dried up. After the sweep, Cooper and the staff changed their system/philosophy/structure, whatever you want to call it, and it's mostly been successful. The immense talent level of the personnel clearly was important, but the change in system after 2019 was instrumental to the team finally getting to the top. They also struggled greatly the first couple months of '19-'20, at times, as they adjusted.

They've lost a couple players that they were going to lose because of the cap/expansion draft anyway(Gourde, McD etc), but the roster is still more than good enough for a deep run. A couple of guys have played much worse than usual this year(Hedman at the top of the list), and the team has gone through similar types of slumps each of the last 3 or 4 years. Who knows exactly why, but it seems late February into mid to late March has been rough for them lately.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
I disagree with this. Tampa tried the offense first mentality, let's win games 6-4 or 5-4,etc, for years, and come playoffs they failed when scoring dried up. After the sweep, Cooper and the staff changed their system/philosophy/structure, whatever you want to call it, and it's mostly been successful. The immense talent level of the personnel clearly was important, but the change in system after 2019 was instrumental to the team finally getting to the top. They also struggled greatly the first couple months of '19-'20, at times, as they adjusted.

They've lost a couple players that they were going to lose because of the cap/expansion draft anyway(Gourde, McD etc), but the roster is still more than good enough for a deep run. A couple of guys have played much worse than usual this year(Hedman at the top of the list), and the team has gone through similar types of slumps each of the last 3 or 4 years. Who knows exactly why, but it seems late February into mid to late March has been rough for them lately.
Ok, up to a point. Last year we still had more of the core that gave TB its heart. This year, not getting that feeling. Who is taking McD's and Palat's place in locker room? Cirelli was supposed to be Johnson and Gourde combined, not turning out that way. We do not seem to have the Anderchuck, Callahan, McD presence that TB has had in every successful run. Sorry, love Stamkos (wife took care of him in hospital and he is a great guy), but he is not McD in leadership and I don't see one on this team. Hedman is a great player, but not McD. Cooper does not have Brind de Moor's credibility when he talks to players about digging deep. We lack that... We also miss Palat's calmness.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Ok, up to a point. Last year we still had more of the core that gave TB its heart. This year, not getting that feeling. Who is taking McD's and Palat's place in locker room? Cirelli was supposed to be Johnson and Gourde combined, not turning out that way. We do not seem to have the Anderchuck, Callahan, McD presence that TB has had in every successful run. Sorry, love Stamkos (wife took care of him in hospital and he is a great guy), but he is not McD in leadership and I don't see one on this team. Hedman is a great player, but not McD. Cooper does not have Brind de Moor's credibility when he talks to players about digging deep. We lack that... We also miss Palat's calmness.
the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What do you think is wrong? Team looks lost recently and like they dont care much. We are struggling to score, struggling on defense, and goaltending is looking spotty.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I didn't see the game today, only saw the score. A few games they've lost lately could've gone either way but I'm guessing 6-0 was just a thorough butt whoopin; and immediately after the semi-stunt by Coop on top of it. I've been firmly on the half glass full side for years and I still am. The playoffs are a different animal and I wouldn't be surprised to see a deep run again. However the recent struggles (that they have every year!) feel different this time. With most of the East contenders going all-out this year it's gonna be a bloodbath come playoffs and maybe it'll be for the best to have an early exit, as painful as it is to say that

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
What do you think is wrong? Team looks lost recently and like they dont care much. We are struggling to score, struggling on defense, and goaltending is looking spotty.
9add51a1-bb22-4189-b17e-12c9b542379b_text.gif

Timing seems way off. Lack of consistent effort and execution by everyone at the same time. Guys seem lost or confused as to the play to make, not sure if anything was switched up structure/system wise.

Too much watching the play, waiting for someone else to do something. As much as I want to say our PP sucks, statistically we're solid there.

We look disinterested. Going through the motions. No hunger or fire. The key players are aging, settled down with kids and have little to prove.

I really can't get passed the fact that we picked up 2 forwards at the deadline instead of working on defensive depth, which as been a major issue all year.

Also, father time is undefeated.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Can we get Rudy Balcers for a game now? Or what else needs to happen, Coop?
You might want to take a look at the overall player stats in Syracuse before you ask for a specific player to be brought up. Neither him or Koepke are playing well enough to deserve a call up, let alone have earned one.

Not impressed with Carolina.
That does not say much for the team that only had 14 shots on goal and got shutout then.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
You might want to take a look at the overall player stats in Syracuse before you ask for a specific player to be brought up. Neither him or Koepke are playing well enough to deserve a call up, let alone have earned one.

That does not say much for the team that only had 14 shots on goal and got shutout then.
It’s me. I looooooove small sample sizes.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I am not sure what Cooper's vision for this team is anymore. You watch Carolina, Boston, Colorado last year you can see what they are assembling and how they want to play. Under Cooper the last 2 years we have blurred into somethng that doesn't seem to be sustainable. The style we played in last year's playoffs was painful to watch and on players bodies. Does Cooper want every season to be a war of attrition where we are blocking 35 shots a game a night? We have been successful because of the great talent, not the system.

We're trying to out-defend our scoring problems and suck at it. And we have exactly zero lines that get shit done now because even the top guys are getting benched now

We nearly pulled it off last year but we don't have the personnel for it anymore

Reactions: RDTBay4 and RMF5630

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
We're trying to out-defend our scoring problems and suck at it. And we have exactly zero lines that get shit done now because even the top guys are getting benched now

We nearly pulled it off last year but we don't have the personnel for it anymore
I am with you. The game that bothers me the most was Detroit. A 3-0 win, but we played the whole game trying to catch up with Detroit! We got lucky on some broken plays and our talented skill guys buried it. But, that game was eye opening

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007

Personnel is obviously conjecture, but aside from killorn - stamkos has been our worst forward. And if you think he can’t flip a switch and start blocking shots and making plays like, I don’t know what to say? In here? In the temple of hf boards tampa bay lightning hockey club sacred ground?

Reactions: Hoek and RDTBay4

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Today's game not withstanding, what scoring problems? The team has been top 4 or 5 all year basically in scoring, around 3.5-3.6 per game average. Overall, scoring goals has not been the issue. They have now lost 11 games this in which they scored at least 3 goals. Overall team defense has been the #1 issue,.especially these last 10 games or so. Before that, they were around 2.85 allowed per game, which was only ~.1 worse per game than last year or '19-'20. It's a terrible slump right now, but provided Hedman isn't out long term and the team starts to get back to where they were 3 or so weeks ago, they'll have a chance.

Reactions: Hoek

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Today's game not withstanding, what scoring problems? The team has been top 4 or 5 all year basically in scoring, around 3.5-3.6 per game average. Overall, scoring goals has not been the issue. They have now lost 11 games this in which they scored at least 3 goals. Overall team defense has been the #1 issue,.especially these last 10 games or so. Before that, they were around 2.85 allowed per game, which was only ~.1 worse per game than last year or '19-'20. It's a terrible slump right now, but provided Hedman isn't out long term and the team starts to get back to where they were 3 or so weeks ago, they'll have a chance.
Seeing some fundamental issues that the trade deadline did not fix or does not fit. This is not the 2020 team. This team seems to chase the play, rather than set it up. Not what TB has been in past. But, maybe you are right. We will see and it will be tough every round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad