Injury Report: 3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Broken jaw means from 4 to 6 weeks of rehab. Petr Nedved suffered it in the playoffs in Czech league and played after one week of rehab, though not 100%..

Hopefully it´s not the case here, but even if it is, it´s not the end of the world. Sid will be ready for the playoffs, say the least.

people have played other sports with a broken jaw before, so I'm not sure what the differences in situations are. I would say, "we just need to wait and hear' but this team never tells us anything.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
It was scheduled at the beginning of the season. The Penguins, like all teams wearing an alternate jersey, are contractually obligated to wear them at least 6 times this year.

Tuesday will be the last time they'll be worn before they're thrown to the mothballs.
That sucks. Thought they swapped one of the dates around so today was the last time wearing them. Oh well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Should still win the Hart in any event.

I don't know ... he'd have only played in 36 of 48 games. That's like a player playing in around 60 to 65 games in a normal schedule. How often does a player playing that few games get the Hart, if a guy with similar stats (albeit in more games) is also an option?

Or are you assuming he might miss a couple of weeks, but be back in time to play maybe 6 or 7 more games in the regular season?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
His jaw isn't broken...no freakin way. He got teeth knocked out and some stitches.

He could be back Tuesday if that's the case

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It was scheduled at the beginning of the season. The Penguins, like all teams wearing an alternate jersey, are contractually obligated to wear them at least 6 times this year.

Tuesday will be the last time they'll be worn before they're thrown to the mothballs.
Seems like they've been worn 10 times already this year.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I don't know ... he'd have only played in 36 of 48 games. That's like a player playing in around 60 to 65 games in a normal schedule. How often does a player playing that few games get the Hart, if a guy with similar stats (albeit in more games) is also an option?

Or are you assuming he might miss a couple of weeks, but be back in time to play maybe 6 or 7 more games in the regular season?
I'm not sure why you seem to be acting as if he's going to be missing any significant amount of time. Nothing the team has said has indicated that yet.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
They would have said if he had a broken jaw. He lost teeth and had some stitches. He'll be back Tuesday.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
They would have said if he had a broken jaw. He lost teeth and had some stitches. He'll be back Tuesday.

I'm not sure. Bylsma was asked if it was the Jaw and didn't say no. (Didn't say yes, either, but the fact that he gave his typical Disco Answer makes me think that "maybe" is the word)

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Yeah, I doubt he has a broken jaw. Only thing I think they may be waiting on is to see if he develops any headaches, nausea, etc, symptoms of a condition that I won't make.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I'm not sure. Bylsma was asked if it was the Jaw and didn't say no. (Didn't say yes, either, but the fact that he gave his typical Disco Answer makes me think that "maybe" is the word)

I didn't see any of that, does anyone have the exact quote?

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
If he's already having surgery it seems to me that a broken jaw would be something they'd check for before prying his jaws open and poking around in his mouth. Maybe not.

Edit: Is jaw surgery considered oral surgery? I've had jaw surgery (albeit not for a broken jaw) and it was not performed by an oral surgeon.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure why you seem to be acting as if he's going to be missing any significant amount of time. Nothing the team has said has indicated that yet.

Because it's Sidney Crosby and we've already seen he doesn't exactly have a lot of luck with his injuries. They don't ever seem to be of the "miss 2 games" variety (high ankle sprain and concussion both effectively curtailed two potential MVP/scoring title seasons).

Besides, I'd rather panic and expect the worst and be wrong, rather than think, "meh, he'll be back Tuesday" and he ends up out until the playoffs.

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA
If he's already having surgery it seems to me that a broken jaw would be something they'd check for before prying his jaws open and poking around in his mouth. Maybe not.

Edit: Is jaw surgery considered oral surgery? I've had jaw surgery (albeit not for a broken jaw) and it was not performed by an oral surgeon.

Yes a broken jaw is considered oral surgery. It's a very lengthy surgery as well. Depending on where the break is they will decide if its best to wire it shut or use plates. Plates mean a couple weeks. Wire means 6-8 weeks maybe 4-6.

Edit: And he yes he would have been x-ray'd at the arena as well as the ER before being brought to operating room. So they would have known his jaw broken before he even made it to the OR's

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
We all have to remember this is the NHL where they don't have to disclose any info about an injury until they deem it appropriate. Sadly this is how things goes go from "day to day xyz-body injury" to extended IR time. Really wish the league was like the NFL in this regard, just put it to us straight instead of being stuck wondering forever.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We all have to remember this is the NHL where they don't have to disclose any info about an injury until they deem it appropriate. Sadly this is how things goes go from "day to day xyz-body injury" to extended IR time. Really wish the league was like the NFL in this regard, just put it to us straight instead of being stuck wondering forever.

You think the NFL "Probable - Shoulder" is better??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad