Injury Report: 3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not that I wish injury on anybody, but why is it that the Matt Cookes and Craig Adams of the world are indestructible but if your name is Sid Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Paul Martin, or Marc-Andre Fleury, you're bound to have a 4+ week injury every season or two?

Because the 3rd and 4th lines aren't seeing the biggest bruisers or being targeted?

Also, they don't see the ice nearly as much, so the odds of a freak injury like Martin's are much lower. More time on the ice = more opportunities for injury.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if we adjust and have our forwards come a little deeper in the zone on the breakout whilst Letang and Martin are out, it won't be an issue.

However, I'd prefer to keep Murray - Niskanen together, and put Despres with Orpik.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Because the 3rd and 4th lines aren't seeing the biggest bruisers or being targeted?

Also, they don't see the ice nearly as much, so the odds of a freak injury like Martin's are much lower. More time on the ice = more opportunities for injury.

Yeah, but I'd say that's only partially responsible, there has also been an element of bad luck to these injuries. Martin with a broken hand, Letang with a broken toe, Crosby with a freak concussion, Malkin with weak knees (literally not metaphorically), etc.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Dont know why this shocks everyone. Had the season started in October this would pretty much be status quo for this team, as the injuries usually start piling up around December of every season in recent memory. This time it just happens to suck even more because it's a shortened season and we're so close to playoff time.

In any case, I got faith in our blue line depth. Both Despres and Bort have shown that they're NHL-ready defensemen and this is now their time to show what they can do. Once again, thank god Shero also managed to grab Eaton when he did.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, but I'd say that's only partially responsible, there has also been an element of bad luck to these injuries. Martin with a broken hand, Letang with a broken toe, Crosby with a freak concussion, Malkin with weak knees (literally not metaphorically), etc.

Well, there's always an element of bad luck.

But that's the nature of the game. Martin and Letang's injuries came from errant shots, Crosby's was an injury that can happen to any player, and Malkin's comes from the nature of the game (seriously, it's terrible on your knees).

I'm not sure what else there is you can do to prevent 'em. They happen more frequently to top 6/top 4 players because top 6/top 4 players see much more ice time than dudes on the fourth line or on the bottom pairing.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Well, there's always an element of bad luck.

But that's the nature of the game. Martin and Letang's injuries came from errant shots, Crosby's was an injury that can happen to any player, and Malkin's comes from the nature of the game (seriously, it's terrible on your knees).

I'm not sure what else there is you can do to prevent 'em. They happen more frequently to top 6/top 4 players because top 6/top 4 players see much more ice time than dudes on the fourth line or on the bottom pairing.

Agreed, but you'd just think that in a numbers game - even with what you just said factored in - we'd kind of be due for Matt Cooke to break his hand as opposed to one of our top 2 dmen...AGAIN! In any event, here's to hoping that - one week from today - we're mostly healthy aside from PM.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Cooke has been injured, btw, but he's been playing through it. I don't know if he's fully healthy now.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Funny how these injuries never happen to a mediocre player. It's like there's all injuries happen only to those who play 20+ minutes a game.

I guess Kunitz/Iginla/Sid are next.

insomniac34

Mar 31, 2010
Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone's acting so surprised. It's hockey, injuries happen to EVERY team. I understand last season we dealt with a near legendary amount of injuries, and that has given us a tendency as Pens fans to panic, but to be honest, we've been pretty lucky so far with injuries. Malkin wouldn't have missed more than a game or two, if that, if he had gone down in the playoffs. Letang likely could play now if we were in the playoffs.

It sucks, cause he's been our best defenseman, but I'm reasonably sure this isn't anything unusual in terms of injuries...

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
That's really bad luck about Paul Martin. Who would have thought at this time last year that we would be lamenting a Paul Martin injury?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It would have been addition by subtraction a year ago but the way Martin's playing this year makes this a huge loss. Better now than the playoffs but it's still a little rough to likely have to be thrown right back in there in the playoffs.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Fleury is already backing up Vokoun today. He's probably good to start Tuesday against Buffalo.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
That didn't look good for Sid. Hope it's just dental work or some precautionary thing. A broken bone in the face would probably keep him out until around playoff time.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Lost in all of the media hoopla around our team is how injured our team has been ONCE A-****ING-GAIN this season. Arguably the most dominant player in the world AND our TOP 2 D-men missing significant time to injury...FML. I understand that it would be bizarre to complain as a Pens fan right now, but my ****ing lord I would like to see this team's stars healthy for a 1-month span. When was the last time that happened?

Re-post

Also, make that the two most dominant players in the world

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
According to dreger, crosby left for the hospital after the first period, thinks its probably dental work. The rest should do him good anyways.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Going to be a lot of speculation coming up. All updates must be accompanied by links. Thank you.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
My money is on some lost / cracked teeth and a big cut in his mouth they couldn't stitch up. If that's all it is, he still might be out Tuesday if there's a lot of swelling; expect a face cage next few games regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad