GDT: 3/3/16 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Ottawa

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
u62K11G.png

:yo:

Who would have ever thought this after are dreadful October, November and December!

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
To compare, this is where we are now after 64 games, and where we were last season.

2016: 38-22-4 (80 pts)

2015: 38-20-6 (82 pts)

Last year we set franchise records for wins (50) and points (108)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
To compare, this is where we are now after 64 games, and where we were last season.

Wow I for sure thought nope no shot at 50 wins or anywhere close to last years record.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I can't believe how far the team has come.

Their under the radar too which is great! Everyone is talking about Chicago, Anaheim, L.A, Florida and Washington. Whenever Tampa goes unnoticed they tend to make some statements and surprise people. Yes people know their a good team and went to the cup last year but people don't realize that Tampa sucked and is now 1st in the Atlantic and 2nd in the Eastern Conference. Sure in a few days we might not be 1st because of how tight the conference is but still Tampa is killing it right now.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I guess going back into unnoticed territory was the plan all along :D

Though it always baffles me how completly unnoticed we go most off the time on this board. I mean hell even Arizonas prospects get more talk on the main board than ours. The Drouin prospect thread was 2 threads long when we drafted him. Since we drafted him it's just a few pages :D

Also looking at the league standings, we have quiet the chance to battle for 2nd place in the league. We have 2 games on Chicago, so we could come as close as 1 point if we continue to win.

And my mind slowly switches from Vasya to Bishop as our longterm starter. At this point, we just can't expect Vasya to become that much better than Bishop to be worth sending Bishop out early. There is just not much more space left for better goalies than Ben Bishop.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think you move from Bishop unless he regresses/Vasi progresses a lot. So... then what do you do? Most teams have kept their #1 and moved their #1b.

I mean, we can cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Wow - that's kind of illuminating.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I don't think you move from Bishop unless he regresses/Vasi progresses a lot. So... then what do you do? Most teams have kept their #1 and moved their #1b.

I mean, we can cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

Did they move on from him even as young as ~23?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Think where our team could be had they been healthy all season.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's fun looking at a contenders thread on the main boards where people list the top 10 Cup contenders in order. About 90% of them didn't have the Bolts in the top 5. Many had Florida as many as 2 or 3 spots ahead of us. My only thoughts were "We'll see :laugh:"

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's fun looking at a contenders thread on the main boards where people list the top 10 Cup contenders in order. About 90% of them didn't have the Bolts in the top 5. Many had Florida as many as 2 or 3 spots ahead of us. My only thoughts were "We'll see :laugh:"

Just further proof that not many people pay attention to what goes on down here. Or watches our team for that matter.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I mean the closest comparison is probably Quick/Bernier. And yeah, they moved on from him when he was pretty young. I think he was 24 at the time of the trade.

I mean, we should try to keep both - but we won't be able to do that forever.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Just don't get your hopes up on a big return if he does get traded. That's the part that irritates me about trying to get rid of him ASAP. It's really not going to do much for us at all.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

I guess Lehner would be the closest comparable, but that's an entirely different situation since Ottawa had Hammond and O'Connor. Lindback is another one, but he didn't have close to the same prestige as Vasilevskiy.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Just don't get your hopes up on a big return if he does get traded. That's the part that irritates me about trying to get rid of him ASAP. It's really not going to do much for us at all.

Yeah - I wouldn't try until the situation became untenable. But Varlamov and Schneider each got very good returns all things considered, and Vasilevskiy should have a similar if not better resume by the time that situation arises - if it does.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Once again, it would be a huge mistake to move Vasilevskiy.

And it would be a huge mistake to move Bishop. It is entirely possible to view a situation in which we have to make a decision. Do you go with the young guy who hasn't carried the load yet, but will be more cost controlled and has high upside? Or do you move the guy who has been your #1 for years and has been in the Vezina conversation quite a few times?

You can't look at this in any normative way. There are risks associated with each move - but depending on how the team is constructed, keeping Bishop may be the move that makes the most sense for the Lightning. We'll just have to wait and see.

I mean - we're not moving him in the near future. The first time we really have to ask this question is next offseason, but even then, I think the question can be punted depending on the type of contract Bishop wants.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And it would be a huge mistake to move Bishop. It is entirely possible to view a situation in which we have to make a decision. Do you go with the young guy who hasn't carried the load yet, but will be more cost controlled and has high upside? Or do you move the guy who has been your #1 for years and has been in the Vezina conversation quite a few times?

You can't look at this in any normative way. There are risks associated with each move - but depending on how the team is constructed, keeping Bishop may be the move that makes the most sense for the Lightning. We'll just have to wait and see.

I mean - we're not moving him in the near future. The first time we really have to ask this question is next offseason, but even then, I think the question can be punted depending on the type of contract Bishop wants.

Yeah, I think you hit it in the post above too. The decision won't really be on us until the situation becomes untenable.

Maybe the best comparable is Quick/Bernier, but maybe it's Halak/Price. Halak was playing pretty well at the time of the move...

I don't think we're going to be too trigger happy though. If we get into deep cap trouble, my guess is Yzerman has a list of guys he can move, in order, and Bishop is probably very low on that list. If all other options fail, MAYBE we go with Vasy before he's pried the job out of Bishop's hands. Maybe Bish lets us down in the playoffs and makes things difficult. Maybe he goes Beast Mode and makes things difficult the other way.

But we have several years before it becomes a real problem. I don't think this is going to be Bishop's last contract with us.

And hey, all I know is after years of goalies letting us down, it's a pretty sweet problem to have, especially when you're not instantly counting backup games as losses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad