GDT: 3/26/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Arizona vs Tampa Bay

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is like the 2015 finals again can only score one freaking goal! Cooper must have them thinking defense so much it’s messed up there offense! Man just pressure our defenseman and the points and forecheck us to death and we lose easy.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The mood in this place going into the 2016 playoffs was similar to what it is now. "We're gonna get rolled, we have no chace" blah blah blah.

Fact is we could win, or we could lose. What's happening at this part of the season isn't a big indicator if you want to base it on the past.

Sure, that's what teams playing bad going into the playoffs will say. LA steamrolled the 2nd half of the season in 2014 and rode that into the playoffs, Pittsburgh in both 2015/2016 had monster 2nd halfs to the season and went on the win the cup - it certainly helps playing well and being ready for the playoffs not just slacking off like the Lightning are doing.

There's lots of hyperbole but it wouldn't be there is the team wasn't playing so sloppy, I'd rather lose a series because the other team was flat out better or their goalie was insanely hot than to lose because of poor effort levels and sloppy play - which is what most people are likely afraid of.

Reactions: T REX

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is like the 2015 finals again can only score one freaking goal! Cooper must have them thinking defense so much it’s messed up there offense! Man just pressure our defenseman and the points and forecheck us to death and we lose easy.

Todd might be onto something for once, I hope Cooper isn't focusing too much on reigning it in defensively because that's not the teams strength even though he's continually tried to make it such, they're much better when the they are primarily focused on offense.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Todd might be onto something for once, I hope Cooper isn't focusing too much on reigning it in defensively because that's not the teams strength even though he's continually tried to make it such, they're much better when the they are primarily focused on offense.
Agree play to your teams strengths! Don’t try to be something your not. This has cooper and this staff written all over this the last two games. We are way to talented to only score one goal a game even without stamkos .

Reactions: DaBolts

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
We've seen this before for sure. And there were definitely points in the past couple of years where it seemed like the effort got worse as, presumably, the guys lost interest in playing a style that clearly wasn't working. I was inclined to blame effort up until tonight, but I think part of the lack of effort is a response to being asked to play an easily thwarted system.

It really does stem from speed. We slow things down, the forecheck ramps up, the game of hot potato gets started between the Dmen, and we either get pinned in, or the rush is ruined with a hasty pass. And when the pass connects, it rarely matters, because the opposing team has had a full minute to get guys lined up along the blueline. And lately, teams are ready for our outlet passes, so even though the forwards aren't getting through the blueline wall, a ton of passes get picked off in the neutral zone anyway, so it doesn't matter.

And our guys at the point have gotten terrible at keeping the puck in the zone. And when they can keep the puck from leaving the zone teams are shutting the cross-ice blueline pass down by keeping a guy high. And that guy is getting 3-4 juicy breakaway chances a game. Unreal.

Coop's got some serious work to do in the next few weeks.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
20 SOG against freaking Arizona. I've only watched the highlights, first three chances were terrible giveaways to Arizona resulting in breakaways and partial breakaways. If it wasn't Arizona the game would've been 3-0 after the first 10 minutes. Hilariously bad.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I'm glad I couldn't watch that shitshow last night. It's starting to feel like we're heading for a disaster in the playoffs. I still hope for the best but it's not looking good. ECF is the absolute bare minimum this team has to make. Otherwise heads need to roll, starting with the coaching staff.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
they-should-call-us-the-postmen-cause-were-mailing-it-in-today.jpg

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I think people underestimate how incredible difficult it is to maintain focus and performance over a full regular season, especially when you have already secured the playoffs.

So I decided to check the last five seasons, how the finalists performed in their last ten games, also included our Cup win season.

Currently we are:
6-4-0

16-17
Pens 4-4-2
Nahsville 5-4-1

15-16
Pens 8-2-0
Sharks 5-5-0

14-15
Tampa 6-3-1
Chicago 4-6-0

13-14
Kings 5-3-2
Rangers 6-2-2

12-13
Chicago 7-2-1
Boston 3-5-2

03-04
Tampa 5-4-1

To me it really highlights that it doesn't matter at all how you finish the season, most are actually doing rather average going into the playoffs, so I think we should take it with a pinch of salt. For sure, there are room for improvement but I don't think it's an indication how it will go in the playoffs.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The odds of beating New Jersey are 85-90%. I honestly believe that.

Toronto? 35-40%.

Boston? 5-10%.

Boston this year is like Ottawa from 2004 from a Lightning-only POV (because I don't want to hear comparisons between the two teams rosters or play-styles because that's not at all what I'm getting at; fwiw, '18 BOS > '04 OTT). A very good team that the Lightning are not gonna beat if they run into them in the playoffs. If the Lightning were to win the division and relegate the Bruins to facing Toronto in the first round? I'm not saying Toronto would win but they would give them a rough go of it. They're better equipped to beat Boston than we are. And if Boston is the team that gets to face Florida or New Jersey in the first round? Forget it. It's gonna be a slaughter for those teams. Boston will be there in the second round, and even if the Lightning do get past Toronto, they aren't gonna go any further.

That's why the division is so important. It gives them any chance at avoiding an unwinnable playoff series. They might not have beaten Ottawa in 2004. But it didn't matter because Ottawa lost earlier on and that concern went away. It's amazing what actually getting that #1 seed can do for you instead of just pissing it away at the end of the season because these guys, who have a history of not giving a sh/t for long stretches of time, are once again doing exactly that.
Appreciate the response, I’m thinking a little higher for both Toronto and Boston, like 55-60% and maybe 30%

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So why are all the"flip the switch" people ignoring the fact that they've been playing poorly since January even though they picked up wins?

They won a lot of OT games and blew leads well before the last few weeks of the season.

Reactions: rangerrat and T REX

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
So why are all the"flip the switch" people ignoring the fact that they've been playing poorly since January even though they picked up wins?

They won a lot of OT games and blew leads well before the last few weeks of the season.
I agree I just think McDonagh once he fully acclimates will help this defense not be autistic. Idfk tho. It's getting very concerning.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Geez I didn't know Boston's even lost their trade acquisition forward Rick Nash recently..
At this point we just gotta appreciate the fact that we are relatively healthy & should make most out of it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

The reason I say they flip a switch is because I saw it the last two times they made the playoffs. They coasted their way in and then when the playoffs started they did a lot of things different. They didn’t play the same at all. I don’t like them doing this obviously. It’s not fun for the fans but I think they do it to an extent. I think why we saw it in January is because of how far ahead we were. And then these games now are hard because teams that aren’t making the playoffs are spoilers and also are busting their ass to make the team next year. While we are coasting a long and trying not to get hurt. I don’t agree with it but it’s what I see. Just watch a game in our first few months and look at our intensity. Also look at how different Vasi played. Tell me it doesn’t look like a switch?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I'm a Lightning fan, but, unlike you, one who actually knows a thing or two about percentages and statistics from vigorous statistics courses at a high level. Unless something changes dramatically, this team will be playing golf in May. I'm not wishing for it, but, as has been noted here many times, it's not a switch you turn on and off. So, enjoy the big win tonight against a generationally bad defense, it doesn't mean a damn thing. What does mean something is that our PK can't stop an ECHL PP now.

It goes both ways. We looked like trash heading into the 2016 playoffs, and then we made Detroit look like a bunch of chumps. Wings played us better in the regular season then that playoff.
I also want the Lightning to win, wanted some honest discussion about their chances from some fans that have been following hockey longer than me. If you have some statistical knowledge do tell. I love stats. Unlike me, LOL.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
But but but the REAL Bolts will come to play tomorrow. I have heard that this is the case. No way they don't come to play, right?

LOL.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
But but but the REAL Bolts will come to play tomorrow. I have heard that this is the case. No way they don't come to play, right?

LOL.

Dont know anybody that has said that either. Keep reaching.

Look the Bolts arent playing well, nobody is disputing that. I think people are just realizing that there is another gear to this team. Why they arent doing it now? Nobody could really tell you for sure. Maybe they are just playing like shit and not caring because something in the room is bad. Maybe they are banged up and tired. Maybe they are figured out? Who the hell knows. All I know is we are in the playoffs and I think we will flip a switch and play a totally different game when those games are on. If not then they deserve to get bounced early. Other teams who play hard would deserve to go further. Its really this easy.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I guess I just refuse to believe that a team will say "Hey. Playoffs look like they're on lock down. Let's just trash it up for the last 3 months of the season"

If they'd continued their high level of play through March and were playing how they were now, I would totally agree that they were just mailing it in until the playoffs.

I don't remember what game it was...maybe Ottawa? When Vasy got scored on and he literally just laid face down on the ice after it. That's not a guy that is just coasting until the playoffs. That's a guy who's confidence is completely destroyed. Someone else here said it..this is a kid in his first season as a #1 in the NHL and Cooper rode him like a 10 year vet. On one hand that speaks to how well Vasy played in the first half but on the other hand you know he's gotta be tired and worn out.

Tampa got better every month from Oct-Dec. At home in Jan is where things really started to go back. Their GPG took a big drop (between 1-2 GPG less than they had through Dec) and they started bleeding goals (over 4 GA per game at home in Jan). Jan was also the first month that they allowed more goals over the month than they scored.

Things improved in Feb at home but got worse on the road. March is just a cluster.

I don't think this is a discussion if they haven't been trending down for almost 3 months at this point.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Who says we're ignoring that?
Someone wanted to post a stat about the last 10 games of Cup finalists, as if there's only been an issue for 10 games.

I just think it's complete fantasy to imagine the playoffs are going to come and the team is going to be good again. It's one thing to have Boston dominate you when you've been on top and they want the spot. It's a whole different story to get bombed by Ottawa and dominated by the Coyotes.

ANY of this stuff taken as individual incidents isn't a big deal. Every top team lays an egg sometimes. When you start combining the laying down to inferior teams, not showing up for the teams at your level, the awful PK, soft defense, disappearing offense...it creates a bigger picture. And it's not a pretty one.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think people underestimate how incredible difficult it is to maintain focus and performance over a full regular season, especially when you have already secured the playoffs.

So I decided to check the last five seasons, how the finalists performed in their last ten games, also included our Cup win season.

Currently we are:
6-4-0

16-17
Pens 4-4-2
Nahsville 5-4-1

15-16
Pens 8-2-0
Sharks 5-5-0

14-15
Tampa 6-3-1
Chicago 4-6-0

13-14
Kings 5-3-2
Rangers 6-2-2

12-13
Chicago 7-2-1
Boston 3-5-2

03-04
Tampa 5-4-1

To me it really highlights that it doesn't matter at all how you finish the season, most are actually doing rather average going into the playoffs, so I think we should take it with a pinch of salt. For sure, there are room for improvement but I don't think it's an indication how it will go in the playoffs.
Damn I hope you are right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad