GDT: 3/24/14 - 7:30PM EDT - Ottawa VS Tampa Bay

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
God, get Stamkos some speedy wingers, when he played with he-who-should-not-be-named they were guaranteed a 2 on 1 breakout a couple times a game, Stamkos has not had a single breakout with Purcell or Killorn once since his return, understandable since they both skate with cinder blocks attached at the heel.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
Steven Stamkos came in to the locker room from the training room wielding a baseball bat, showing off his sense of humor (and bat skills)

Anyone else find that somewhat disrespectful?

By that, I mean not referring to him as Captain Stamkos. :sarcasm:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Well it's cool seeing my favorite player on a line with Stamkos. lol.

I was actually at the Rangers game, was just seeing some of the highlights, how did Callahan play today?

around the second period he became noticed did a couple of 1 on 4's by himself fighting for the pucks lol he actually got them for time periods was pretty amazing to see. The fight had a lot to change the focus of the game. He wasnt involved in that. He was doing his thing though out working everyone. Guy never takes a shift off and for me that is enough to be happy.

Malone is bone tired. Everyone has mentioned the abysmal top line:(

To HOSE? The third line does not belong out there with spezza. The second line did. The first line didnt belong out there with spezza and karlsson that was obvious to anyone whom watched but our coach.

Now right line mates ? Tj pyatt something the third line can play a first line like that. With kucherov brown? And broken down salo brewer? Well head examined is what I would ask for:)

Our d line is second line I DONT GIVE A FLYING FLAG we got to have them in especially when we are last move against teams first lines at all times. Is that simple. Than make teams play our first line which is not good defensively with their lower lines.

The third line can be ok defensively but not with small tyjo kucherov and brown.

That aint gonna work either. Pyatt aint huge but is more nhl ready than even brown. Is stronger than tyjo and very good defensively and much better than brown probably defensively and for sure kucherov right now.

So those decisions are on the coach. Brewer played ok salo is wore out for sure. Carle and gudas seem wore down big time last couple of weeks.

Hedman and Kostka at times make mistakes but at least show daily then can still skate butts off when needed etc.

I really agree to given barbs a shot aulie mixing this rotation better. 11 -7 again?

We got the bodies give everyone two games in a row tops switch to someone else:)

Hate purcell and killorn on top line either of them just they add nothing to stamkos. Shoot will say put killer on two and move johnson and palat up to stamkos to be honest or flip up with stamkos and killer and johnson to run center line two.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
With all the negative comments about Killer and Purcell on the first line do you guys wonder if Stammer feels the same way? If he does then as captain can he not have a talk with Cooper in private and give input as to what he wants in line mates? Just a question to get opinions as to whether these scenarios actually go on behind closed doors. If these discussions do happen and he's not asking for changes are we all that dumb?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
With all the negative comments about Killer and Purcell on the first line do you guys wonder if Stammer feels the same way? If he does then as captain can he not have a talk with Cooper in private and give input as to what he wants in line mates? Just a question to get opinions as to whether these scenarios actually go on behind closed doors. If these discussions do happen and he's not asking for changes are we all that dumb?

I doubt it, he may just put more on himself to score than relying for a pass, look at last game, how many times did he hold the skate/hold the puck looking for a shooting lane, he looked a lot more individualistic than previous games.

He's not going to throw teammates under the bus, it's up to the coach the see and realize if things are working or not.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I think Stamkos could near 70 goals in a season with the right linemates. Whatever he lacks at passing, puck-handling, and defense he more than makes up with his scoring ability. Kid is a freak of nature putting the puck in the net.

huh? he doesn't lack anything in terms of passing, puck-handling nor defense. He is beasting in all 3 zones...sometimes I wonder what planet you come from or if you are still stuck in a time bubble from like 3 years ago.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
huh? he doesn't lack anything in terms of passing, puck-handling nor defense. He is beasting in all 3 zones...sometimes I wonder what planet you come from or if you are still stuck in a time bubble from like 3 years ago.

I come from the planet Reality, where there's no way in hell Stamkos is as good in those 3 other realms as he is scoring.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I come from the planet Reality, where there's no way in hell Stamkos is as good in those 3 other realms as he is scoring.

If he were, he'd be the best player in the history of the game. Not exactly realistic to say the best goal-scorer in the game lacks passing ability because he's not also the best passer in the game.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
He's not going to throw teammates under the bus, it's up to the coach the see and realize if things are working or not.

I agree, but I've also noticed him shaking his head on the bench a few times last game and before that. Whether that's about his own play or his linemates' I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's thinking "really, you have THESE guys out there with me!??".

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
If he were, he'd be the best player in the history of the game. Not exactly realistic to say the best goal-scorer in the game lacks passing ability because he's not also the best passer in the game.

You're assuming the same thing Werewolf did that just because I said his passing, puck-handling, and defense were lacking compared to his scoring that it was a knock on his game. All I meant was that his scoring ability is far superior to every other aspect of his game.

Still, now....3 years ago....whatever....I wouldn't consider him elite in those other areas anyway. His puck-handling can be impressive in short bursts, but he is nowhere near as consistent as Filppula. Callahan's defense puts his to shame. And I would consider his passing "good".

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're assuming the same thing Werewolf did that just because I said his passing, puck-handling, and defense were lacking compared to his scoring that it was a knock on his game. All I meant was that his scoring ability is far superior to every other aspect of his game.

Still, now....3 years ago....whatever....I wouldn't consider him elite in those other areas anyway. His puck-handling can be impressive in short bursts, but he is nowhere near as consistent as Filppula. Callahan's defense puts his to shame. And I would consider his passing "good".

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding then. The quote we're going off is:

Whatever he lacks at passing, puck-handling, and defense he more than makes up with his scoring ability

Which implies that Stamkos is poor in those areas, rather than being simply non-elite. That's what we took issue with. I don't think anyone would argue that Stamkos is an elite defensive forward, for instance.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I just meant lacking in a relative sense, not in an absolute "has or has not" connotation.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He isn't that great a puck-handler, he bobbles it a lot, and rarely pulls off a deke even though he tries it a lot and gets it poked off his stick. The only time he was strong in that area was during the first 17 games of this season. His passing abilities use to be pretty below average but since the last 3 years he's made tremendous strides in that area, the pass to Flip the other game was a thing of beauty.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yeah, I've never seen Stamkos pull off a deke ever really, or even try one for that matter.

His passing is underrated. So is his D, ever since this season started. He was unreal before his injury.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, I've never seen Stamkos pull off a deke ever really, or even try one for that matter.

His passing is underrated. So is his D, ever since this season started. He was unreal before his injury.

He's been kinda of floating lately on D at times IMO, pre-injury he was extremely active laid out guys in the corner, but it's expected that his intensity level isn't going to be at it's highest, everyone is scared of getting re-injured once they come back.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
He's been kinda of floating lately on D at times IMO, pre-injury he was extremely active laid out guys in the corner, but it's expected that his intensity level isn't going to be at it's highest, everyone is scared of getting re-injured once they come back.

Agreed. For sure. He was a backchecking monster before he went down. That's what I meant to say.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Hate purcell and killorn on top line either of them just they add nothing to stamkos. Shoot will say put killer on two and move johnson and palat up to stamkos to be honest or flip up with stamkos and killer and johnson to run center line two.

You guys know how I feel. and some of us are seeing this.

Anyone have an idea why Cooper is not seeing this. (and I'm giving him the benefit of doubt)

Also would love to start resting these older defensemen. (salo and brewer) and give the young guy Gudos some time off.

Maybe dress 7 d and get this resting going. because they are worn out.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cooper isn't stupid - he sees it. There's a reason why our PP is Stamkos + the Second Line. His issue, and it's one I agree with, is that you had a young guy with confidence problems (Kucherov), and you're about to throw him to the wolves of facing top pairings every night if you try to put him with Stamkos, and a guy in Brown who, while he has speed to burn, isn't the most talented guy.

I think he'll shake some things up to see what he can get going, or maybe Coop just trusts Stamkos to drive the offense on that line himself. Or maybe he spoke to Stamkos and asked him who he felt more comfortable playing with.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
and a guy in Brown who, while he has speed to burn, isn't the most talented guy.

I'm 50/50 on Brown being on the first line, but it's a no brainer to me when just talking about him vs. Killorn/Purcell. He can flat out skate and use his body on the boards, and his shot is decent at times. He went from me thinking "What is this guy doing on this team?" earlier this season to "Damn, he has a lot of potential!" as of late. And unlike Kucherov, I see no fear or confidence issues in his play. He rarely if ever takes a play off or acts intimidated. Like a Callahan-in-the-making almost.

He seems like the type of player that the more ice time you give him, the more he'd make of the opportunity.

Cooper isn't stupid - he sees it.

I'm sure he knows. However, Cooper's demeanor comes across way too passive at times, and it wouldn't surprise me if that translates off the ice. Hesitant to stir the pot, just like he won't ever get in a ref's ear about a **** call, I wonder if he thinks "hey, we're still getting wins and points, why make any changes?" when it's obvious that a few need to be made.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
really dont agree with a lot of this. Brown is HANDS OF STONE. He is not top line. I would rather put pyatt there but you all realize the likelihood of that happening?

I think we are stuck but a tweak or two is available simple ones filppula up johnson up one killer and purcell down to three etc.

or johnson and palat with stamkos. Cooper is not blind I think he is hoping for success. Remember he mentioned the 12 shots the one game with teddy and stamkos.

He is hoping for that than when he gets a couple of bleh games he has to evaluate and tweak it. Also he put stamkos with johnson and stamkos got another foot speed.

Cooper is not blind he might go with this another game even two but if he doesnt get the production? He will tweak it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I actually really liked one of PA's former ideas (I think it was yours), to give Johnson a try between Palat and Callahan, and then try Flip out with Stamkos. I know this breaks the "If it ain't broke" rule, but Flip and Stamkos have shown some good chemistry, and I would really love to finally have two lines hot at once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad