GDT: 3/21 | Veni Vidi Please Vici: Bruins @ Ottawa Senators | 7:30pm ET| NESN, 98.5 I‎I

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Game against the Jets, good...game against the Sens, not so good.

My feeling on it is that he is a rookie, and will need time to adjust, but the skill is there. I would rather he go through this now as opposed to later in the season or in the playoffs.

Depending on what this team does at the deadline, he may be an option going forward, and if not, he is certainly one of the first few call-ups in case of injury during the post-season.

I think it's wise to see what he can bring up until the trade deadline, and then reevaluate from there. In the meantime, he is getting valuable experience.

His performance last night could have had something to do with who he was playing with, or playing on that third line in general...that line just seems to be cursed this year. It's like anyone who plays on there gets pulled into the craptastic black hole of suck...they go in looking like a top 6 forward, and then come out the other end looking like Peter Shaefer part two.

Look at the difference between his linemates in those 2 games

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Daniel Paille with yet another goal.:handclap:

If he doesn't win the 7th Player Award I am going to be seriously pissed.

I really hope he wins.

I would love to see the look on Danny's face when they announce his name. I hate to say it but the fans often get this wrong.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
the one main thing that I took away from this game is that

Once McQuaid comes back from injury we can finally sit/release/trade that turnover machine Andy "Fernover" Ference

Johnson was awesome!
#freejohnson !

didnt you hear Jack say he 'telegraphed a pass behind the net'

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
100% agree...I was equally perplexed and for all the reason you mentioned. There is more to this than meets the eye...not sure if he is going to be moved, but there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, or at least that's my feeling on it.

No coincidence this was going to be Spooner's first time playing in his hometown as a pro. Benching Pevs was the only way Spooner could have played last night due to his emergency recall status. Benching Pevs is fine but choosing to do so last night is suspect.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I really hope he wins.

I would love to see the look on Danny's face when they announce his name. I hate to say it but the fans often get this wrong.

So would I. I even went on NESN's site to vote for him.

And I agree the fans often get this award wrong. I mean, Tyler Seguin?!?!?:shakehead

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
No coincidence this was going to be Spooner's first time playing in his hometown as a pro. Benching Pevs was the only way Spooner could have played last night due to his emergency recall status. Benching Pevs is fine but choosing to do so last night is suspect.

They also could have benched Pandolfo. From what I understand, the emergency recall isn't position specific, so even though Krejci was back, the fact that McQuaid was then out due to injury meant that Spooner could play for anyone in the lineup. They didn't have to bench Pevs. They could have benched Pandolfo just as easily and still had Spooner play in front of his hometown crowd.

Though I'm not sure if the hometown thing went into their thinking, and if it did, it shouldn't have. They should just ice the best team, regardless of whose hometown they are playing in. They didn't afford Bartkowski the same luxury a couple of years back. I remember him being called up and then sitting when he went into Pittsburgh for the first time. The media made an issue of it because his whole family had come to watch the game and he didn't even dress.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH

1. There's no way an NHL coach would bench a player so a rookie could play in front of his friends and family.. especially forcing him in between two plugs that he hasn't even had a chance to PRACTICE with. And especially during a shortened season and especially against a division rival.

2. Benching Peverley wasn't the only way Spooner could have played. Why do you think that? Spooner could have easily played if they benched Pandolfo or Lucic or Chara or anyone.

chippa13*

Peverly was benched cause he has been atrocious and that is why Spooner played.

To say he was benched to let a player with approx 2 games in the NHL play in his hometown is not only ludicrous but bordering on delusional

Bi Coastal Bawse*

They also could have benched Pandolfo. From what I understand, the emergency recall isn't position specific, so even though Krejci was back, the fact that McQuaid was then out due to injury meant that Spooner could play for anyone in the lineup. They didn't have to bench Pevs. They could have benched Pandolfo just as easily and still had Spooner play in front of his hometown crowd.

Though I'm not sure if the hometown thing went into their thinking, and if it did, it shouldn't have. They should just ice the best team, regardless of whose hometown they are playing in. They didn't afford Bartkowski the same luxury a couple of years back. I remember him being called up and then sitting when he went into Pittsburgh for the first time. The media made an issue of it because his whole family had come to watch the game and he didn't even dress.

Yeah they mentioned that before the game. How since McQuaid was also injured Spooner could still play or something.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
the one main thing that I took away from this game is that

Once McQuaid comes back from injury we can finally sit/release/trade that turnover machine Andy "Fernover" Ference

Johnson was awesome!
#freejohnson !

nobody gives the puck over more than mcquaid.
his injury will probably help the team in regards to defensive turnovers.

chippa13*

didnt you hear Jack say he 'telegraphed a pass behind the net'

Every time the D passes behind the net it is telegraphed... it is 95% of how they start their breakout

Johnson was a STUD!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Every time the D passes behind the net it is telegraphed... it is 95% of how they start their breakout

Johnson was a STUD!

They said Johnson's record vs the Sens was quite good. We'll see if he follows the trend of 7th defensemen making one of the regulars expendable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad