GDT: 3/21 | Veni Vidi Please Vici: Bruins @ Ottawa Senators | 7:30pm ET| NESN, 98.5 I‎I

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
And, I'd ask you what the asking price would be? We don't really know what the asking price is despite speculation.

In a shortened season like this, the asking price could be pretty high.

Ultimately its going to be a prospect and a pick. At his age, that's not outrageous. Some are saying a roster player in addition to that. I don't see that happening. And that's basing it off the models of Hossa and Kovy who were in their prime as rentals. None of these deals are over the top rotting your franchise for years to come type moves. That's more for an RFA like Rick Nash where there's all the hype. And the NYR overpaid regardless, as is their M.O.

Also, I think there's a good chance people would say that Chia traded for an over the hill Iginla. I wouldn't mind Iginla here even though I've thought for years he's been overvalued, but only for the right price.

Or that's what Mike Felger would say, which some people believe to be a valid opinion(not saying you)

If Chia could get Iggy without gutting Providence, it's not the end of the world to me and I'd give him kudos for having the minerals to make that kind of a move. At that point we wouldn't be in the hole with our farm system and be in better position to make a cup run. If the asking price is way too high, then its an easy decision. But that's most likely not going to be the case.

A resigned Iggy with a reasonable contract after a sign and trade just amplifies that point.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
1. Chia makes a trade and people say he overpaid.

2. Chia makes a minor trade or stands still and people say he wasn't active.

The only way he can win here is if he underpays and the Bruins win it all this year. Even if the Bruins win it all this year and he makes a big trade, some will say he overpaid.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
I have faith in Chia.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
I have faith in Chia.

As do I. On the whole he's done everything in the past to show that he's willing to move roster players for the right situation, ala Pevs and Wheeler. I was a huge Wheeler fan but I respected the fact that he knows what hes doing. The Kaberle things a bit touchy but we won the cup with him on the roster and that's really all I care about.

He's not going to get rid of serious prospects for a rental player. I doubt he even listens to other teams if they so much as mention Spooner or Khohks.

I also have faith that he will bolster the roster. I hope its Iggy as I am a fan of him though whats more likely he goes out and gets a depth forward or two.

As far as I'm concerned I'm excited to see if the Yeti makes his way here.:yo:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Did they? Silly me, I must have missed that part. Now I'm so proud of the team! Oh joy. Everything is sunshine and lollipops in Bruins land!!!! :handclap:

Yeah sorry, I'm not like you. I can't sit through that another up and down 60 minutes and come away impressed (mostly down). This team hasn't been firing for more than a game or two at a time all season. When this team is at their best, they're stepping on the throat of the opposition when they're down, not squeaking out one and two goal victories by the skin of their teeth. Unfortunately, I don't see them reaching that point without an overhaul of the 3rd line and possibly other personnel changes (god forbid :laugh:). It's difficult to maintain momentum when you only have one line that's consistently capable of putting pressure on the other team to defend.

No secret this team plays better when physically engaged. Should have stirred the pot earlier instead of waiting for the 3rd period. Neil, Smith, and Kassian were ready to mix it up from the get go.

You said the Bruins "went into a shell in the third," and said they "did the same thing against Winnipeg."

I disagree, especially as they, y'know, scored in the final two minutes and won the game. That doesn't look like the same thing to me.

I don't know how you get "sunshine and lollipops" out of that, but whatever.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
It's all going to come down to that line. They have the potential to be dominant, but they also have the potential to be the worst line on the ice for long stretches.

Everyone seems to be wanting a trade (which I can understand in some ways), but I'm more interested in the current issues with the players on this team.

When Lucic is on his game, he's flat out dominant. However, when he's not on his game he's quite frankly, terrible. Too many turnovers at the blue line, dumb penalties, and a lack of skating. Many like to always say that he doesn't need to be scoring because he's a "unique and rare breed" of a player that brings a lot of intangibles and other factors to the game. I'm really starting to disagree with that. When you're getting paid (or going to) get paid the amount of money he is, you better be putting the puck in the back of the net or making plays. Playing physical and being a presence is all nice and dandy, but putting that puck in the back of the net and not letting the other team do the same is far more important, and unfortunately he sucks at that for long periods of time.

It's annoying to watch a line that has such an incredible amount of potential underperform way too often. Hopefully they can get some consistency, and it needs to start soon.

He's making plays. That line doesn't get out of it's own end, or touch the puck twice in the offensive zone w/o him making plays. But he's way over-passing. He went from a guy who instead of passing on a 2 on 1, in game 7, picked the corner like a champ. To a guy who now has full on Joe Thornton fever; who'll pass no matter how good of a shooting position he's in. It's been going on since we got Horton, and it's getting worse.

Looch is the only guy on that line that can make a decent pass out of the zone. You do see what happens when they go up Horton's boards, right? As long as he has a week or so to do something, he can chip it out, or put it right on an opposing Dman's tape. So, yeah, Lucic is going to have turnovers there. Unless by some miracle they decide to give them a speedy winger to work with. DK doesn't do him any favors w/ his lack of speed, either.

That line waves bye bye the second they're up against speedy back checkers (see habs series), b/c they are so sloooow. They get gobbled up in the neutral zone. They need speed. Not Pavel Bure speed, I'd settle for Satan speed. I don't know why Peverley isn't already on that line. I realize what horton did for this team, i'll never ever forget it. But my god, he can't even field a puck on the boards right now. Let alone skate the puck to the redline and give Lucic a shot at retrieving a dump in.

Why am I so worried? B/c Coach Julien will stick to his guns, even to failure. They came through before. But they never looked this bad.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Its funny how much hate Thomas got on here last year, that we actually had like a team of Thomas apologists, and now those same people who hated Thomas are calling for him back

I just think Bruins fans in general don't like goalies that don't have a 1.000 save percentage

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
Its funny how much hate Thomas got on here last year, that we actually had like a team of Thomas apologists, and now those same people who hated Thomas are calling for him back

I just think Bruins fans in general don't like goalies that don't have a 1.000 save percentage

I guess that's what happens when your team scores 1.000 goals per game.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Goaltending has by n large not even been the issue over the course of the whole season

A bit of an undeserved win, but good on them for pulling through

Still gotta get their identity back

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I guess that's what happens when your team scores 1.000 goals per game.

Haha... Pretty funny

Thats what I have been saying though. Its (theoretically) harder to blow a lead in the third when you score more than one goal, although the way things have happened this year one might think otherwise haha

Goaltending has by n large not even been the issue over the course of the whole season

A bit of an undeserved win, but good on them for pulling through

Still gotta get their identity back

Agreed

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Weird game...

- The Sens were running around a little bit. I kept hoping that the Bruins would get fed up and start smacking some heads together. At the same time, I am glad they kept their heads and focused on the game and the two points. I don't often say that...

- I believe Aaron Johnson was our best defenseman tonight. Everything he did was the correct play. He made simple plays and was always in the right position.

- The rest of the defense had their moments, both good and bad.

- The forwards, outside Merlot (who were all really good) and Bergeron were, in my opinion, different levels of terrible.

- Nathan Horton stood out too me tonight and for all the wrong reasons. He was ****ing dreadful.

- Milan Lucic was not much better.

- Seguin and Marchand had a rare quiet night.

- Ryan Spooner, in rare appearances looked good. I think the kid is a player. A little more seasoning.

- Caron was awful, Pandolfo was invisible.

- Anyone want to question David Krejci? Anyone? Thought not.

- Dobby played his best game of the year.

- The powerplay is a joke.

This was a boring, dull and frankly pretty horrible game. It was exactly what they needed in my opinion. A gutsy, ugly win. Still far too many passengers. I'm hoping eventually, at some point, we see a complete game.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
You said the Bruins "went into a shell in the third," and said they "did the same thing against Winnipeg."

I disagree, especially as they, y'know, scored in the final two minutes and won the game. That doesn't look like the same thing to me.

I don't know how you get "sunshine and lollipops" out of that, but whatever.

I read my post again, and can see how you came away with that impression. "Same thing happened against Winnipeg" was referring to the altering of the PP in the 3rd period of close games. I made the same point in that GDT.

Also, I didn't say they went into a shell. "People wonder why this team goes into a shell instead of aiming for the throat". Coach playing it safe = team playing safe. It actually had nothing to do with this game specifically. Just a general observation.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
He's making plays. That line doesn't get out of it's own end, or touch the puck twice in the offensive zone w/o him making plays. But he's way over-passing. He went from a guy who instead of passing on a 2 on 1, in game 7, picked the corner like a champ. To a guy who now has full on Joe Thornton fever; who'll pass no matter how good of a shooting position he's in. It's been going on since we got Horton, and it's getting worse.

Looch is the only guy on that line that can make a decent pass out of the zone. You do see what happens when they go up Horton's boards, right? As long as he has a week or so to do something, he can chip it out, or put it right on an opposing Dman's tape. So, yeah, Lucic is going to have turnovers there. Unless by some miracle they decide to give them a speedy winger to work with. DK doesn't do him any favors w/ his lack of speed, either.

That line waves bye bye the second they're up against speedy back checkers (see habs series), b/c they are so sloooow. They get gobbled up in the neutral zone. They need speed. Not Pavel Bure speed, I'd settle for Satan speed. I don't know why Peverley isn't already on that line. I realize what horton did for this team, i'll never ever forget it. But my god, he can't even field a puck on the boards right now. Let alone skate the puck to the redline and give Lucic a shot at retrieving a dump in.

Why am I so worried? B/c Coach Julien will stick to his guns, even to failure. They came through before. But they never looked this bad.

Neely08, you're becoming the go-to authority on the LKH line. The problem I see now is that that line faces a fundamental contradiction: Lucic can achieve speed, but only after a few strides, once he overcomes that tremendous initial inertia. Problem is that, as you've pointed out, he's so often charged with standing by the boards to receive pucks from the D and chip them along. If he didn't have that (currently necessary) responsibility, he could build up a good head of steam well ahead of the play, traverse the neutral zone at speed, and basically steamroll his way into the offensive zone as only Looch can do.

In a way, one of Looch's greatest assets (his sheer unstoppability once he's under momentum) is rarely tapped into, though I'm not sure what the solution would be, short of giving him a right winger who could carry more of the relay responsibilities.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

LOL at Sens fans thinking Thornton and Lucic are scared of Kassian and others saying they're cowards like all the Bruins :laugh:

Didn't the refs get in between Thornton and Kassian twice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad