GDT: 3/21 | Veni Vidi Please Vici: Bruins @ Ottawa Senators | 7:30pm ET| NESN, 98.5 I‎I

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
He's making plays. That line doesn't get out of it's own end, or touch the puck twice in the offensive zone w/o him making plays. But he's way over-passing. He went from a guy who instead of passing on a 2 on 1, in game 7, picked the corner like a champ. To a guy who now has full on Joe Thornton fever; who'll pass no matter how good of a shooting position he's in. It's been going on since we got Horton, and it's getting worse.

Looch is the only guy on that line that can make a decent pass out of the zone. You do see what happens when they go up Horton's boards, right? As long as he has a week or so to do something, he can chip it out, or put it right on an opposing Dman's tape. So, yeah, Lucic is going to have turnovers there. Unless by some miracle they decide to give them a speedy winger to work with. DK doesn't do him any favors w/ his lack of speed, either.

That line waves bye bye the second they're up against speedy back checkers (see habs series), b/c they are so sloooow. They get gobbled up in the neutral zone. They need speed. Not Pavel Bure speed, I'd settle for Satan speed. I don't know why Peverley isn't already on that line. I realize what horton did for this team, i'll never ever forget it. But my god, he can't even field a puck on the boards right now. Let alone skate the puck to the redline and give Lucic a shot at retrieving a dump in.

Why am I so worried? B/c Coach Julien will stick to his guns, even to failure. They came through before. But they never looked this bad.

You won't get an argument from me on Horton and Krejci is slow, but that is what allows him to control the play.

But that is the game I've been waiting for Lucic to play two or three games in a row.

He doesn't need to crash every night, but he needs to be moving and playing with intensity.

I'd be fine if the Bruins just sat Horton out until the end of the year and then just let him walk.

Put Peverly up with Lucic and Krejci and sit Horton and play Spooner.

Oh and I almost pissed myself when Caron thought he'd get tough with Neil...to bad Neil didn't tune him up later...:laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You won't get an argument from me on Horton and Krejci is slow, but that is what allows him to control the play.

But that is the game I've been waiting for Lucic to play two or three games in a row.

He doesn't need to crash every night, but he needs to be moving and playing with intensity.

I'd be fine if the Bruins just sat Horton out until the end of the year and then just let him walk.

Put Peverly up with Lucic and Krejci and sit Horton and play Spooner.

Oh and I almost pissed myself when Caron thought he'd get tough with Neil...to bad Neil didn't tune him up later...:laugh:

Sit Horton all you like, it`ll never change the fact that we have a 4th liner with more goals than the mighty Looch, freaking embarrassing.

Hard to watch Sens/Bruins games these days, Sens HAVE to play that way to stay in games, lull/trap opponents to death. 2pts is 2pts but what snoozers this matchup has become

For a guy in a contract year, Horty sure playing as though he isn`t terribly interested in remaining a Bruin

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Sit Horton all you like, it`ll never change the fact that we have a 4th liner with more goals than the mighty Looch, freaking embarrassing.

Hard to watch Sens/Bruins games these days, Sens HAVE to play that way to stay in games, lull/trap opponents to death. 2pts is 2pts but what snoozers this matchup has become

For a guy in a contract year, Horty sure playing as though he isn`t terribly interested in remaining a Bruin

Remember when we talked about Chiarelli's tendancy to overrate player? Lucic is a unique player but 6 per? Biggest problem was that Chiarelli painted himself in the corner with Looch's 2nd contract. From there, we knew that the Bruins would overpay Lucic for the rest of his career. To me, Lucic never was not and is not 6 per player. The guy is subpar defensively and when he's not using his size to win 1 vs 1 battles, he's pretty much useless. I wonder when Claude will lay the big hammer on Lucic for his bad performances.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I hope chia locks up khudobin before the seasons done. Don't see much if a drop off between rask and him to his point

I am not sure this will happen.

I think there are too many teams out there that would happily sign Khodobin for more than Chia can afford (Rask has to get paid too).

I would really like for them to keep Khodobin, but I think he looks to cash in with another team. Not sure he it the hometown discount type either (hard to tell though-his English is better than my Russian but he still struggles to communicate).

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Remember when we talked about Chiarelli's tendancy to overrate player? Lucic is a unique player but 6 per? Biggest problem was that Chiarelli painted himself in the corner with Looch's 2nd contract. From there, we knew that the Bruins would overpay Lucic for the rest of his career. To me, Lucic never was not and is not 6 per player. The guy is subpar defensively and when he's not using his size to win 1 vs 1 battles, he's pretty much useless. I wonder when Claude will lay the big hammer on Lucic for his bad performances.

He needs to lay it on Horton first.

Horton has been floating most of the year (and I don't care if he has more goals and points-he barely hits anyone and he doesn't always seem willing to hit the dirty areas). Shoot Krejci was half lame last night (as Jack repeatedly reminded us) and he still crashed the net more than Horton did.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
LOL at Sens fans thinking Thornton and Lucic are scared of Kassian and others saying they're cowards like all the Bruins :laugh:

Didn't the refs get in between Thornton and Kassian twice?

Looked like Thornton turned him down three times...and Lucic was ready to go with Neil, then passed on going with Kassian. Not saying they are afraid but.........

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So does anyone know Why Peverly was Scratched over Pandolfo??

We need a solution for Pandolfo, no question. Hopefully Soderberg situation cleans all that up.

That said, Pandolfo is what he is. It's not him who needs the message.

The guys who need the message are Peverly, Kelly (moot point now), Lucic, Horton, and a handful of others.

IMO, Peverly was scratched because a message is being sent -- and Pandolfo is not the target of that message.

If we somehow "fix" Pandolfo, but not the other guys listed above we are still royally screwed.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Looked like Thornton turned him down three times...and Lucic was ready to go with Neil, then passed on going with Kassian. Not saying they are afraid but.........

Tight game Lou. When your 3rd line sucks already you really cat afford to be without Looch or Thornton for that long. Not worth it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They were lucky to beat a team missing all their best players. They failed to manage a decent scoring chance on their PP yet again. This team built on depth is becoming nothing more than a one line team, basically relying on the Bergy line to carry their play. It took a late fluke type goal to salvage that win for them.

Now, with all that being said, I liked that CJ sat Peverley and hopefully sent him a message. I'd like him to rearrange the first line and give Looch or Horton some time on the third and see if he can light a fire and or send them a message too. The only positive I'm going to take out of this recent stretch of uninspired hockey is that it's still early enough for them to fix it in time for the playoffs. The trade deadline is coming up quick, so PC needs to make some hard decisions about whether this is the group he wants to go to battle with.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
They were lucky to beat a team missing all their best players. They failed to manage a decent scoring chance on their PP yet again. This team built on depth is becoming nothing more than a one line team, basically relying on the Bergy line to carry their play. It took a late fluke type goal to salvage that win for them.

Now, with all that being said, I liked that CJ sat Peverley and hopefully sent him a message. I'd like him to rearrange the first line and give Looch or Horton some time on the third and see if he can light a fire and or send them a message too. The only positive I'm going to take out of this recent stretch of uninspired hockey is that it's still early enough for them to fix it in time for the playoffs. The trade deadline is coming up quick, so PC needs to make some hard decisions about whether this is the group he wants to go to battle with.

I agree. I'd like to see Peverly inserted back into the top line and Horton or Lucic sat for a game. As you rightly point out, now is the time to clear this up -- before trade deadline passes and before playoffs start. Let's see how much professional pride they have.

Lucic, Horton, Kelly, Peverly, etc., have been terrible this season. Time to earn your money boys -- or, at the very least, your playing time.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Here's my question the Peverley scratch:

Why choose a night when your #1 center is clearly not fully ready to play to make a statement benching of a top 9 forward? I can't think of one instance where CJ scratched a top 9 forward, and the timing, with Krejci's injury and the presence of Pandawful, make it very curious to me.

And this is taking aside that while Pevs has done nothing, he's not alone. If CJ truly wanted to make a point, there are more notable and probably more culpable options, right?

This is why I'll still be surprised if Pevs isn't dealt in the next day or so.

Last edited:

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Anyone else's GCL go out on them at the end of the game last night? I missed the winning goal by Sieds :cry:

When it finally kicked back in, my screen said Game is Over, to which I frantically checked NHL.com to see who won.

Anyway, hopefully the Bruins can put a steak together now, starting with the Leafs.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Thoughts on Spooner?

Return him to Providence?

Game against the Jets, good...game against the Sens, not so good.

My feeling on it is that he is a rookie, and will need time to adjust, but the skill is there. I would rather he go through this now as opposed to later in the season or in the playoffs.

Depending on what this team does at the deadline, he may be an option going forward, and if not, he is certainly one of the first few call-ups in case of injury during the post-season.

I think it's wise to see what he can bring up until the trade deadline, and then reevaluate from there. In the meantime, he is getting valuable experience.

His performance last night could have had something to do with who he was playing with, or playing on that third line in general...that line just seems to be cursed this year. It's like anyone who plays on there gets pulled into the craptastic black hole of suck...they go in looking like a top 6 forward, and then come out the other end looking like Peter Shaefer part two.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

Why choose a night when your #1 center is clearly not fully ready to play to make a statement benching of a top 9 forward? I can't think of one instance where CJ scratched a top 9 forward, and the timing, with Krejci's injury and the presence of Pandawful, make it very curious to me.

And this is taking aside that while Pevs has done nothing, he's not alone. If CJ truly wanted to make a point, there are more notable and probably more culpable options, right?

If Krejci says to Clode that he's a go, then it's no brainer: You go with #46. Krejci might be an inconsistent customer but he's 10 times better then Peverly. Let's face it: Peverly is not only playing bad hockey; playing him is detrimental to the team. It's better to have Spooner busting his a**** off and gaining NHL experience then to see the waste that Peverly is, this year.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

100% agree...I was equally perplexed and for all the reason you mentioned. There is more to this than meets the eye...not sure if he is going to be moved, but there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, or at least that's my feeling on it.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
If Krejci says to Clode that he's a go, then it's no brainer: You go with #46. Krejci might be an inconsistent customer but he's 10 times better then Peverly. Let's face it: Peverly is not only playing bad hockey; playing him is detrimental to the team. It's better to have Spooner busting his a**** off and gaining NHL experience then to see the waste that Peverly is, this year.

I don't think anyone is questioning playing Krejci over Peverly, that's a no brainer, and I don't even mind Spooner in there...but what about Pandolfo? Are you telling me that Pandolfo gives you a better chance to win that game last night than Rich Peverly does?

Admittedly, Peverly has not been great this year, but neither has Pandolfo...and how about Horton? Lucic? There are plenty of guys who you could sit to send a message, if that's what it was about. I might argue that sitting Horton would send more of a message than sitting Peverly.

Either way, it usually isn't Claude's style. He rides his horses, especially a guy with the versatility of Pevs, the PK ability, etc., and against a division opponent no less. Not saying he didn't deserve to sit, but why him? Something smells funny if you ask me.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Nobody is saying Peverley is better than Krejci. You missed that point entirely.

The point is Krejci is obviously banged up...wouldn't you want the guy in the lineup that you typically use to fill holes on the top two lines when there's a chance Krejci has to limit his minutes? And keeping Spooner is fine, but you're still scratching a guy who can ably play wing and center on a night you are using Pandawful already, AND there's a chance you could lose a center at some point due to his injury?

The timing is incredibly odd.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think anyone is questioning playing Krejci over Peverly, that's a no brainer, and I don't even mind Spooner in there...but what about Pandolfo? Are you telling me that Pandolfo gives you a better chance to win that game last night than Rich Peverly does?

Admittedly, Peverly has not been great this year, but neither has Pandolfo...and how about Horton? Lucic? There are plenty of guys who you could sit to send a message, if that's what it was about. I might argue that sitting Horton would send more of a message than sitting Peverly.

Either way, it usually isn't Claude's style. He rides his horses, especially a guy with the versatility of Pevs, the PK ability, etc., and against a division opponent no less. Not saying he didn't deserve to sit, but why him? Something smells funny if you ask me.

Technically, Both Pandolfo et Peverly should be benched. Pandolfo, for one, should on the 4th line but... we already have our 4th line and sending Paille on the 3rd one produced unconclusive results. If Chiarelli can find 1-2 legitimate 3rd liners, on the cheap, it will help the team greatly.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Nobody is saying Peverley is better than Krejci. You missed that point entirely.

The point is Krejci is obviously banged up...wouldn't you want the guy in the lineup that you typically use to fill holes on the top two lines when there's a chance Krejci has to limit his minutes? And keeping Spooner is fine, but you're still scratching a guy who can ably play wing and center on a night you are using Pandawful already, AND there's a chance you could lose a center at some point due to his injury?

The timing is incredibly odd.

Di you read my post? From the start, i said: if Krejci says he's a go, you play him. Even if hurt, Krejci is better option then Peverly/Pandolfo

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Daniel Paille with yet another goal.:handclap:

If he doesn't win the 7th Player Award I am going to be seriously pissed.

chippa13*

the one main thing that I took away from this game is that

Once McQuaid comes back from injury we can finally sit/release/trade that turnover machine Andy "Fernover" Ference

Johnson was awesome!
#freejohnson !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad