Post-Game Talk: 3-2 Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I like this post- it sums up pretty much what I have seen as well. I would add Sheif to the list of guys who are showing up with their game.

This was a tough road trip- understated- but it is early in the season and if I can grasp at anything good from it - this should show our GM what we clearly lack- depth, goaltending, and mental toughness.

Up to him how he wants to deal with this....

Don't agree on Schief, guy never plays 60 minutes!

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Did I suddenly end up on a Leaf forum? Trade away two 22 year-old prospects, because they are struggling with 'sophomore slumps'? Last winter, they were 21 year old future leaders, this year they receive increased duties and expectations, and struggle, so after 19 games, they are AHL garbage, and should be moved. "Peaked" at 21? All I can say is wow!

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'm not comparing the two, primarily - I'm comparing the justification for bringing them up. Literally I read the words "played great at every level" when people were begging for Hutch to come up from the AHL two seasons ago.

Yes, well lets toss that discussion to where it belongs because the stats don't bear it out. Hellebuyck has indeed "played great at every level"; Hutch has been average to below average at every level.

Comparing save %:
Hellebuyck -- career NCAA (.946), WC (.948) & AHL (.921) - the latter on real crappy teams
Hutch -- OHL (.915), ECHL (.920), AHL (.917), NHL (.916)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Neither Pavelec or Hutch are playing good enough for us to even think we could make the play-offs , yes we are not playing a good defensive game but neither goalie is a top 20 goalie . We have watched Pavelec first hand for 5 years now ... he isn't good enough for this team to be successful ! Hutch we haven't seen enough of just yet to make the same conclusion ... yet ! If Helly was 18 or 19 , yes it would be too soon to call him up but he's not he's 23 and after watching the World Championship this guy is ready to play now . The thing that bugs me the most about Pavelec and Hutch they always let a weak goal at some point in a close game or a goal at a terrible time in a game . Last night the Jets are down 2-0 and fight to tie the game up BUT Hutch lets a goal in right after and takes all the momentum away ... it happens waaay too much .

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Don't agree on Schief, guy never plays 60 minutes!

He might not be lighting the lamp but no one on this team of late has been. He has been better with the puck this year, his shot is improved, and he does a decent job on his defensive responsibilities but definitely room to improve here.

Now- he is certainly not a comparable to Stamkos like Adam Oates proclaimed on HNIC - now that was bizarre but I see his game continuing to improve year over year.

Perhaps my ceiling for him is lower than yours

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, well lets toss that discussion to where it belongs because the stats don't bear it out. Hellebuyck has indeed "played great at every level"; Hutch has been average to below average at every level.

Comparing save %:
Hellebuyck -- career NCAA (.946), WC (.948) & AHL (.921) - the latter on real crappy teams
Hutch -- OHL (.915), ECHL (.920), AHL (.917), NHL (.916)

Hellebuyck only faced a total of 1545 shots in his college career. That sample is a bit small. And the WC sample is way too small to base any conclusions on. No question he's dominated though. His AHL numbers are good, but he's still within spitting distance of Hutch - especially if you consider Hutch's AHL playoff numbers. I'm not sure where Hutch has played below average in your list of SV% there...

Derfel*

Hellebuyck only faced a total of 1545 shots in his college career. That sample is a bit small. And the WC sample is way too small to base any conclusions on. No question he's dominated though. His AHL numbers are good, but he's still within spitting distance of Hutch - especially if you consider Hutch's AHL playoff numbers. I'm not sure where Hutch has played below average in your list of SV% there...

I'm glad someone else brought up the WC numbers as being a suspect source...

He may be the saviour. I just don't see it right now with the team the way it is.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Blues fan. Something I noticed was that the Jets' forecheck seemed designed to prevent the Blues from making d-to-d passes. Especially later in the game, the forechecker would swoop pretty low in the zone and that allowed the Blues to move the puck up ice fairly easily. Is this their usual forechecking method, or something they seemed to have planned specifically for the Blues?

Along a similar line, I noticed they were employing a 1-3-1 on the powerplay and the Blues had no trouble with it, but they kept doing the exact same thing all game. The couple of times the play was broken and Jets' players got deeper and it turned into more of an umbrella, they looked more dangerous.

I know some key guys on the Jets are young and you've had some weak goaltending; but stuff like that forecheck, powerplay, and discipline/penalty issues makes me wonder if it's a coaching problem.

Derfel*

How long until some of games don't sell out?
It's coming.

js0KQR9.gif

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Doesn't matter how you slice it, Hutch's .916 junior & minor pro numbers pale in comparison to Hellebuyck's .930+. And yes, that % for Hellebuyck exceeds 5400 shots so I'd say that's a healthy sample size to base it on.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Blues fan. Something I noticed was that the Jets' forecheck seemed designed to prevent the Blues from making d-to-d passes. Especially later in the game, the forechecker would swoop pretty low in the zone and that allowed the Blues to move the puck up ice fairly easily. Is this their usual forechecking method, or something they seemed to have planned specifically for the Blues?

Along a similar line, I noticed they were employing a 1-3-1 on the powerplay and the Blues had no trouble with it, but they kept doing the exact same thing all game. The couple of times the play was broken and Jets' players got deeper and it turned into more of an umbrella, they looked more dangerous.

I know some key guys on the Jets are young and you've had some weak goaltending; but stuff like that forecheck, powerplay, and discipline/penalty issues makes me wonder if it's a coaching problem.

Yep - I think a few folks here are wondering about the same issues. When you've had discipline issues and the most penalized team in the league for the last couple years & very little changes, it has to eventually go back to the coaches.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Doesn't matter how you slice it, Hutch's .916 junior & minor pro numbers pale in comparison to Hellebuyck's .930+. And yes, that % for Hellebuyck exceeds 5400 shots so I'd say that's a healthy sample size to base it on.

Well you're lumping together NAHL with NCAA and AHL...

Who knows what happens in the NAHL - you can probably just ignore that. It's below USHL...so like MJHL quality? I really have no idea. Anyway, you probably shouldn't be basing much off that.

And the NCAA is lower scoring than the OHL, isn't it? I'm not sure what the DivI average is but there are 20 guys with .919 or better SV% on this page (is this last year? Active career totals?) http://www.ncaa.com/stats/icehockey-men/d1/current/individual/172

Look at Hutch's last year in the OHL - there are 4 guys who'd make that NCAA list. http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show/type/top_goalies/ls_season/35/subtype/1

Oh and there's Hutch at 5th in the league...5th out of 20 or so isn't too shabby. Better than "at or below average" I'd say.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Do we really want to throw Helle behind the tire fire which is the Jets' defence?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
How? All seats are sold on long term contracts and if you think people are going to give up their seats you are sadly mistaken.

Sitting in the best seats in the house (loge), I would love to know who paid for all those empty loge seats I've been seeing and decided it just wasn't worth their time to show up. You do know about the donate to charity option, right? Somebody, somewhere would love that game experience, but I guess you're just too busy with your foie gras and Sauternes tastings to worry about **** like that.

Sigh, I think I've gotten myself into one of my angry modes tonight.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Do we really want to throw Helle behind the tire fire which is the Jets' defence?

For some reason this is a popular motif to keep Helle in the AHL; on a team that is notably worse at defence than the Jets are. He's still posting a .926 save%, something our goalies could only dream of doing.

This Vancouver game is the biggest game of the year boys, win this and you get good feelings going. Lose and you are 2 games under .500 and a long climb back.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
For some reason this is a popular motif to keep Helle in the AHL; on a team that is notably worse at defence than the Jets are. He's still posting a .926 save%, something our goalies could only dream of doing.

This Vancouver game is the biggest game of the year boys, win this and you get good feelings going. Lose and you are 2 games under .500 and a long climb back.

Hutch did just that at age 21 in the AHL

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
jeez. Look, performing well at one level is no assurance that will carry over to the next. Sometimes players pan out and sometimes they don't. Pavelec was sucking like a Hoover back then and many of us felt a change would be good and Hutch was worth a try. He hasn't exactly blown the lid off. That doesn't mean Helly might not do so...but of course there's no way to know without trying.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Not to derail the thread on goaltending....but....

Hutch did just that at age 21 in the AHL

On a team that went 50-20-0 to clean up their division. Hellbuyck is posting great numbers on a terrible team, a sign that a goalie might be worth something?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sitting in the best seats in the house (loge), I would love to know who paid for all those empty loge seats I've been seeing and decided it just wasn't worth their time to show up. You do know about the donate to charity option, right? Somebody, somewhere would love that game experience, but I guess you're just too busy with your foie gras and Sauternes tastings to worry about **** like that.

Sigh, I think I've gotten myself into one of my angry modes tonight.

One of the challenges is the charity option window closes too early (at least it use to). People run into challenges last minute and run out of options to gift the seats and you contact TNSE and they tell you that you have to give those tickets away with substantial lead time (WTF????). Like they can't find a few dozen people that would take them last minute? anyways it has happened to me where illness with children last minute can kill plans but the charity option is closed.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yep - I think a few folks here are wondering about the same issues. When you've had discipline issues and the most penalized team in the league for the last couple years & very little changes, it has to eventually go back to the coaches.

I agree, an undisciplined team is always on the coaches. The BS Mo spewed about the penalties last season was a cop out and quite frankly send th wrong message to the team, never ever heard a coach at any level come up with BS like that. Mo is a career .500 coach for a reason, starts well with teams, turns them around and then they crash, there is a pattern.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad