GDT: 3/2/14 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Colorado

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think that's true for all of us, although I'll say we really don't know what the case is anymore. It's all quiet right now, which could mean St. Louis has had a change of heart. I was as concerned as anyone about the effect this drama is having on the young players, and I think it's still a very valid concern. But it's been several days since any word has come out about what's going on, so it's really tough to say what the current situation is.

I would never question St Louis not giving effort. But just like cigar city said, knowing he would rather play for the rangers than for us is disheartening. And the Lawton story makes it worse. He has wanted to go to NY for years now. So I don't think it's a matter of things smoothing out. It's the fact that he just always would rather be in a Ranger uniform - yet he's suppose to be the captain if the Lightning.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I would never question St Louis not giving effort. But just like cigar city said, knowing he would rather play for the rangers than for us is disheartening. And the Lawton story makes it worse. He has wanted to go to NY for years now. So I don't think it's a matter of things smoothing out. It's the fact that he just always would rather be in a Ranger uniform - yet he's suppose to be the captain if the Lightning.

The Lawton story means absolutely nothing today, completely different, team, and management. If he wanted to "be in a Ranger uniform" for years now, he could've done it in 2010.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes, the only solution to rookie criticism is to trade them..... how bout we play him 22mins a night and give him some PK time since he's so impressive?

He's still getting more chances than just about anyone on the team, and creating more dangerous offensive situations. I think what's happening is what happens to a lot of players who go through a drought, and what happened to Tyler Johnson for a while. Goalies start robbing you, so you start trying to pick corners finer and finer until you're just missing the net. The old "gripping the stick too tight."

He hit a post late in the Nashville game. I'm sure there's a lot of frustration for him right now, but he'll work it out. I'd rather not replace him with a guy who can't get the amount of chances he gets, because sooner or later he'll start burying them.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Aside from Stammer and Filppula coming back, we have 16 of the last 20 games at home. We have to use that to our advantage. If we manage to screw up the playoff position they have no one else but theirselves to blame.

Just going to point out that the margin between where the Lightning were at and the first team out of the playoffs was 11 points prior to this 3-6-0 skid; it's down to five now.

Obviously, injuries have hurt (no pun intended) a lot in these games. This team needs their best goal scorer back in the worst way. But it's not really a great excuse, either; there's been way too much disorganized play in the last several games. The first three games out of the break have been really shaky. It's not good hockey to watch and it's not good hockey to play and, well, it's not been good hockey on the results sheet either.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Yes, the only solution to rookie criticism is to trade them..... how bout we play him 22mins a night and give him some PK time since he's so impressive?

Why would you put Nikita Kucherov on a Penalty kill? Is that what makes players impressive?

I didn't say he deserved top line minutes, and I didn't even point my comment towards Kucherov in a positive connotation like he deserved more minutes. I said he was our second most impressive forward, which I would gladly retract because Pyatt was sensational. It was about Marty having a fit on the ice because someone didn't put the puck in the net.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Anyone want to talk about how Purcell is still getting PP time?

I mean, I like Purcell. I'm willing to give him more rope than most around here (whether that's a good idea or not will depend on how much rope-burn I get on my hands :laugh:). But, jeez, I can't even remember the last time he scored a goal. He has been invisible for really quite a while now and it's gotten to the point of frustrating me quite a bit as well. He plays really small for the body he has.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

The last time the real Teddy Purcell showed up, this was what, the 4th/5th game of the year?

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
He's still getting more chances than just about anyone on the team, and creating more dangerous offensive situations. I think what's happening is what happens to a lot of players who go through a drought, and what happened to Tyler Johnson for a while. Goalies start robbing you, so you start trying to pick corners finer and finer until you're just missing the net. The old "gripping the stick too tight."

He hit a post late in the Nashville game. I'm sure there's a lot of frustration for him right now, but he'll work it out. I'd rather not replace him with a guy who can't get the amount of chances he gets, because sooner or later he'll start burying them.

I was going to post something like this but mothballed it. Basically, yeah, Kucherov as a whole has played well enough to not merit any demotion, but it may not be the worst thing as far as getting some confidence in his shot back. He's got an excellent sniping ability, but he keeps dinging posts. He's missed two penalty shots. It wouldn't be the worst thing to try and get him some of his swagger back.

As a whole, though, I'm not going to demerit how he has looked. I like a lot more of what I see out of him than not like.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

That's obviously valid, and I think at least most of us agree, or at least share the concern. But part of what makes MSL such a great player is his fiery side, so until we know for sure that this wasn't just some reactionary tantrum he threw, I'm willing to hold out hope that he's had a change of heart. For instance, I wouldn't doubt seeing himself trashed in the media over the last week has given him a different perspective on the situation.

Or maybe not. There are huge concerns about moving forward with MSL, particularly with THIS team, full of 22 year-olds, and particularly because he's the captain. But I'm holding out hope that it's being resolved, and that what we're seeing on the ice has more to do with injuries than this distraction.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
aye, but one's a rookie and the other is a $4.5M man who has been a relied-on forward for the past four seasons. I (and most of us) will be a lot more lenient on Kucherov than Purcell, personal feelings aside.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Going to bed. Love you all.

We have to be one of the most diverse thinking fan bases on hfboards. Lol.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
What a horrid day for Hockey..

Lost both of my games and got done with my last just in time to watch the Lightning fall apart in the 3rd..

Besides the end of the 3rd how did we look overall?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
aye, but one's a rookie and the other is a $4.5M man who has been a relied-on forward for the past four seasons. I (and most of us) will be a lot more lenient on Kucherov than Purcell, personal feelings aside.

Im not trying to defend Purcell, he's been a disappointment this season for sure. He's also only had 1 20 goal season in his career, he's not a sniper or big time scorer. He's got a he'll of a shot but he definitely looks to pass first. He's not playing with a big time shooter for him to set up so his game is suffering.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Im not trying to defend Purcell, he's been a disappointment this season for sure. He's also only had 1 20 goal season in his career, he's not a sniper or big time scorer. He's got a he'll of a shot but he definitely looks to pass first. He's not playing with a big time shooter for him to set up so his game is suffering.

Yeah, I think we'd all agree that Purcell fits the bill of being an enigma quite well, except for the fact that he's not Russian. :sarcasm:

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Kucherov's last goal came in the same game and he's got only 2 goals since 1/5 that's pretty bad too.

Purcells playing with Filppulla kuch was playing less than 14 mins a game with a 4th line center but yeah exact same situations. Not to mention that purcell has been horrendous but yeah keep giving him power playtime and top 6 minutes great coaching coop. That's a great message to send.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I walked away cause lost it a bit. I will try to remain calm. I will try to draw in crayon even for everyone to relate. TEDDY PURCELL is the weakest link on this team. He is the only guy outside of the system we are implementing. He is becoming worse than worthless he is becoming a hinderance to the other players he is on the ice with.

I want you all to understand THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE KIDS. It has nothing to do with kucherov a slump or not or TJohnny. Teddy Purcell is a grown man in his frigging prime who is called upon since the marty fiasco began to step up his play provide leadership and help this team. He does not play every shift. He was out there on ice two guys fighting for puck five feet away sitting on his azz. He was on ice for all three goals tonight yep secondary assist but if others pyatt salo killorn have to cover for him cause he wont play defense and be apart of this system he needs to move. He has proven he can back check after he turns the puck over but he has proven he will not fight and lead and grind with the rest of the team. He will not get physical whatsoever. At this point he needs to go as fast as possible and if we lose half his points to get another pyatt or thompson downey or stempniak someone with some dammed heart on this team who will do what is necessary to win so be it.

Continued in trade forum :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad