GDT: 3/13/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Ottawa vs Tampa Bay

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
Can we just appreciate for a minute just how unbelievably craptastic Tampa has been against the pits of the East this season? 6 and 7 goals given up in games to the Senators, 0-2 against Buffalo, and 2-1 against Montreal, but two of those wins were much more of a struggle than they had any reason to be. It's baffling.

At least Kucherov had three points tonight to get a decent lead on big nosed Malkin again. Hate that dude.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Anything less than the ECF and he should be toast. No way to argue otherwise. This team is built to win now and if Coop can't shuffle the deck properly get him out.

Curious to see who you would want and who would do better?!

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Curious to see who you would want and who would do better?!
That's Yzerman's job not mine. Seriously. If this season goes down the shitter in the last couple months...heads need to roll.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Deserved result. Lightning have played like crap recently and gotten some luck with the OT/SO results. Tonight they finally got what has been coming. Terrible hockey.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Our effort wasn't great but we dominated the parts of the game that were actually up for grabs. In terms of puck luck, that was as flukey a game as you're ever likely to see. Everything Ottawa put on net went in. Every pass we made bounced off of three skates and and wound up on an Ottawa player's stick. Just gotta yawn, shrug, and move on to the next one.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Our effort wasn't great but we dominated the parts of the game that were actually up for grabs. In terms of puck luck, that was as flukey a game as you're ever likely to see. Everything Ottawa put on net went in. Every pass we made bounced off of three skates and and wound up on an Ottawa player's stick. Just gotta yawn, shrug, and move on to the next one.

Pretty much this.

Hopefully this serves as a sobering wake up call. Lucky for us we're gonna have plenty of time to practice the PK

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Pretty much this.

Hopefully this serves as a sobering wake up call. Lucky for us we're gonna have plenty of time to practice the PK
Our PK does need some work. Getting Palat back will help, but it seems like ages since Gourde and Point were turning the PK into their own personal breakaway contest.

Honestly, what worries me most about the Boston game is the three days of rest. This team is garbage when they get more than a day off. Yzerman should schedule a scrimmage in Syracuse on Thursday, or something.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Our PK does need some work. Getting Palat back will help, but it seems like ages since Gourde and Point were turning the PK into their own personal breakaway contest.

Honestly, what worries me most about the Boston game is the three days of rest. This team is garbage when they get more than a day off. Yzerman should schedule a scrimmage in Syracuse on Thursday, or something.

lol ain't that the truth? However I think the time off will actually do us some good here. It's been a pretty minute since Gourde and Point were destroying power plays and I think time to incorporate McDonagh will help too. As for the goaltending I'm pretty sure a hockey puck is less burned than Vasy is on these shots he is letting in nowadays.

I really hope Cooper is feeling out the room right now because if I was coaching this team I'd push the 2 hardest practices the team has ever had tomorrow and Thursday as a simultaneous punishment for weeks of sloppiness as well as preparation for a potential playoff opponent with a day off Friday and special teams practice on Saturday before the game.

I know the guys are probably burned out but and are 9-1-1 in the last 11 games but a little tough love goes a long way after tonight. This team is like the kid who cleans his room by shoving everything under the bed.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
lol ain't that the truth? However I think the time off will actually do us some good here. It's been a pretty minute since Gourde and Point were destroying power plays and I think time to incorporate McDonagh will help too. As for the goaltending I'm pretty sure a hockey puck is less burned than Vasy is on these shots he is letting in nowadays.

I really hope Cooper is feeling out the room right now because if I was coaching this team I'd push the 2 hardest practices the team has ever had tomorrow and Thursday as a simultaneous punishment for weeks of sloppiness as well as preparation for a potential playoff opponent with a day off Friday and special teams practice on Saturday before the game.

I know the guys are probably burned out but and are 9-1-1 in the last 11 games but a little tough love goes a long way after tonight. This team is like the kid who cleans his room by shoving everything under the bed.
Lol, this team is definitely that kid.

Yeah, not sure what Coop'll do. Saturday will tell us quite a bit about where this team is mentally. I'd imagine it's got to be pretty annoying to have to play a pointless game against Ottawa when we're trying to conserve our energy heading into the playoffs.

And Vasy... I dunno, maybe he was drunk?

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
And bring in who ?
I'm not a big big fan of coach Cooper.
But the question (that's quite the same of last year) is: who will be available, in the next July?
Therrien?
Roy?
Sutter?
Groulx?
Maybe Vigneault?
Johnston? (muahahahahahah)
The same Todd Richards?
And the second question is: are they better than Cooper?
I admit that I'm curious to see Roy, but, in general I don't think they're an upgrade for us right now.
So I can agree to fire Cooper is the post season will be bad...but the problem is to choose in right way the next coach.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm not a big big fan of coach Cooper.
But the question (that's quite the same of last year) is: who will be available, in the next July?
Therrien?
Roy?
Sutter?
Groulx?
Maybe Vigneault?
Johnston? (muahahahahahah)
The same Todd Richards?
And the second question is: are they better than Cooper?
I admit that I'm curious to see Roy, but, in general I don't think they're an upgrade for us right now.
So I can agree to fire Cooper is the post season will be bad...but the problem is to choose in right way the next coach.
I like sutter but we are too small for his style we need bigger forwards for sutter

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think we might be overreacting a tad here.

I agree, but I think there is reason to be a little concerned. I know we have seen this team do this before and then turn it on in the playoffs but this is brutal for fans. Im worried about Saturday. They need to be on their game. Boston doesnt like to lose.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
A lot of our guys just don't drive the net when they have the puck on the wing. Seems like it's only Gourde, Point and maybe 1-2 other guys each night taking the puck on their own to the crease. That needs to change. Majority of the time the offense pulls up or looks for the cross ice pass one too many times. Id rather see them drive to the net a bit more. Not a big deal though, we still score at will.

Team defense and goaltending has been awful. A lot of those overtime wins were sloppy and since 2018 began, our team defense has struggled. We sit at 25th on the PK. Out of the teams entering the playoffs, without looking it up, it's got to be one of the worst, if not the worst, correct?

They need to be more responsible. I believe I'd faint if Scott Stevens joined the coaching staff in the summer to show these guys how to tie up an opposing players stick.

First one was a blown coverage by Stamkos. Third goal, (the Pyatt goal) he's got free reign to tip it in. We have a huge defensive core, yet a lackadaisical team defense when it comes to tying up their man, and the stick. It's woeful in that regard.

Hope they can get ready for the weekend at lesst.

This post is right on! I did see McDonough tie someone up and push them out of the way to prevent a screen on Vasy who then ended up making an easy save. But most of other defenseman (even Hedman) are below average in moving opponents from in front of the goal crease! Most of the goals Vasy lets in our on screen shots from outside the FO circle.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Didn't get to watch it, but it sounds like one of those games where nothing went our way. Still, this isn't a one-off. This team has been garbage defensively for months. The PK can't go a game without giving up at least one goal. You can't be giving up a PP goal a game in the playoffs. The competition is too tight to be gifting goals like that, especially if we have to go through Toronto/Boston and Pittsburgh. You don't always have to score on the PP, but you can't be this bad on the PK. The personnel can't be the issue there. Callahan is a great defensive forward, we are able to put Hedman or McDonagh out there for an entire PK and still throw Stralman in whenever we want. We have guys like Point and Gourde who are smart, aggressive, and solid defensively. There's no excuse for the PK being this bad for this long, but it's become a staple of this coaching staff for huge red flags to go unfixed for months to years. This shit has to be fixed by Game 1 or we are in some trouble.

Saturday will be very telling for this team. They haven't played a truly meaningful game in a long time, but Saturday is going to be as close to playoffs as you can get in March. If this team doesn't come out smokin' then we have something to worry about.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Dotchin is better than most of our defenders in trying to keep the front of the net clear.

Hope this is not like 2013–14 when they used up all energy in the regular season and had nothing left for the playoffs.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Dotchin is better than most of our defenders in trying to keep the front of the net clear.

Hope this is not like 2013–14 when they used up all energy in the regular season and had nothing left for the playoffs.
This team is about a thousand times better than what we had in 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad