GDT: 3/10/18 - 1:00PM EDT - Montréal vs Tampa Bay

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Need to somehow get this overtime/shootout success to translate to the playoffs.
No shootouts, no 3 on 3 OT in postseason. Lightning right now have the skills to win the NHL equivalent of pond hockey games but otherwise they look like a middle of the pack team. Eventually and always play down to the level of their opponent. Always.

Reactions: kp61c

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Had to listen to it on the radio due to having to work, glad to get the W and to get 100 points. Kept cutting off so had to keep refreshing how did mcdonagh get on?.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Had to listen to it on the radio due to having to work, glad to get the W and to get 100 points. Kept cutting off so had to keep refreshing how did mcdonagh get on?.

He was ok for his first game back from injury. Definitely some rust there. He had a bad pass that caused a goal for Montreal. But he made some nice plays here and there. Will be fun to see him once he gets comfortable.

Reactions: DaBolts and Cmac66

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Some good, some bad. I'd expect less of the bad once he's less rusty and gets comfortable playing on a new team. For someone who hasn't played in a month I can't complain.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
If you can't enjoy 9-0-1, you might be a cartoon donkey.
In real hockey, it's 3-0-7. Nothing to get too excited about. Excited about McD getting comfortable and looking forward to Palat coming back. We need his forecheck and grit, something this team sorely lacks right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In real hockey, it's 3-0-7. Nothing to get too excited about. Excited about McD getting comfortable and looking forward to Palat coming back. We need his forecheck and grit, something this team sorely lacks right now.

Our competition isn't some imaginary perfect team. It's other actual NHL teams. We have the best goal differential in the league. The most points in the league. The most wins in the league. Of all teams over 90 points, we've gotten there with the fewest loser points.

These other teams have their ups and downs too. It's not like they're all NHL Globetrotters, dominating 60 minutes per night.

We have some flaws, sure. But when we turn it up, we're right there with the best teams in the league. This is a great time to be a Lightning fan.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Agree with the other points but how do you get to 3-0-7? Sure they haven't played amazing but that's a stretch.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Ummm, no. In real hockey it’s 9 - 0 - 1. Let me check the standings quickly. Ok. Yup. I see where you went wrong. Your numbers don’t checkout vs the real standings. Where is this real hockey being played? In your real imaginatory world? You might want to try and check a real calculator instead of your imaginary one.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Ummm, no. In real hockey it’s 9 - 0 - 1. Let me check the standings quickly. Ok. Yup. I see where you went wrong. Your numbers don’t checkout vs the real standings. Where is this real hockey being played? In your real imaginatory world? You might want to try and check a real calculator instead of your imaginary one.
If you think the video game stuff they play in OT is real hockey than you simply don't know the game.

It's entertaining for the fans, which is why they do it, but there isn't a player, coach or gm in the league who believes what happens in 3 on 3 ot or a shootout makes a damn bit of difference come playoff time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Looks like we may lose Brisebois - being considered for the Carolina job...

He deserves a move up though. Hate to lose him, but it's good to see talent rewarded. You have to wonder how many of our spectacular AHL moves (Gourde?) were more Brisebois than Yzerman.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Far from perfect, but we've been winning. sometimes we've had to comeback, and sometimes we've barely held on, but any of those games we just found a way in the end. That's the name of the game in the post season. Just get it done.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Far from perfect, but we've been winning. sometimes we've had to comeback, and sometimes we've barely held on, but any of those games we just found a way in the end. That's the name of the game in the post season. Just get it done.

I just think they have been flipping the switch when they want to. They need to quit that as we get closer to the playoffs. Can't make it a bad habit with all these other teams fighting for their lives every game.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If you think the video game stuff they play in OT is real hockey than you simply don't know the game.

It's entertaining for the fans, which is why they do it, but there isn't a player, coach or gm in the league who believes what happens in 3 on 3 ot or a shootout makes a damn bit of difference come playoff time.

We get it they aren't playing great. But let's not turn this into what's real hockey vs not. The rules are what they are. This is what is real.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just think they have been flipping the switch when they want to. They need to quit that as we get closer to the playoffs. Can't make it a bad habit with all these other teams fighting for their lives every game.

I agree on the bad habit thing, and that it can easily sink us (like last year), but I wouldn't be so sure this isn't a strategy that comes from the top down. We know 2014 was a big lesson for Cooper, when we went "all out" for home ice advantage, only to injure our #1 goalie, and kind of burn out in general. Cooper talked a lot about saving something for the post-season. Mind you, I'm not a fan of letting our foot off the gas in tie games, which seems like a bad habit. But when we're up 4-1? 5-1? Whatever. Don't get injured. It might not be a coincidence that this is the most injury-free we've been in years, and we've been consistently taking our foot off the gas since about December when we have a reasonable lead.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

You are blowing my mind bro. You are telling me that I watched a video game and not real hockey today? Tell me more about real hockey please.

...is this the same reality in which I should miss gooning it up and real hockey players don’t wear helmets. Yeah? Wait, in your reality are there only 6 teams playing real hockey?

....haha this guy...

Reactions: berlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad