GDT: 3/10/18 - 1:00PM EDT - Montréal vs Tampa Bay

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
We get it they aren't playing great. But let's not turn this into what's real hockey vs not. The rules are what they are. This is what is real.
That's the point. The rules literally change to the real hockey rules in the post season and, right now, this team isn't ready. McD and Palat should make a huge difference, though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I agree on the bad habit thing, and that it can easily sink us (like last year), but I wouldn't be so sure this isn't a strategy that comes from the top down. We know 2014 was a big lesson for Cooper, when we went "all out" for home ice advantage, only to injure our #1 goalie, and kind of burn out in general. Cooper talked a lot about saving something for the post-season. Mind you, I'm not a fan of letting our foot off the gas in tie games, which seems like a bad habit. But when we're up 4-1? 5-1? Whatever. Don't get injured. It might not be a coincidence that this is the most injury-free we've been in years, and we've been consistently taking our foot off the gas since about December when we have a reasonable lead.

I know some people in the organization say this same thing. It was actually SY that said in his Detroit days they did this. The grind of a long season can wear on you and if you play into may and June then it's hard to stay healthy. Some of this is definitely done purposely. I agree though that I don't like it as a fan. I would rather dominate every game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's the point. The rules literally change to the real hockey rules in the post season and, right now, this team isn't ready. McD and Palat should make a huge difference, though.

A lot of playoff games go to overtime too. It's not like we're terrible 5v5. You're assuming all overtime games will be a loss, and that's just not really a fair assumption. We have the best goal differential in the NHL. Even with our flaws, we're still better at this game than anybody else in the league right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know some people in the organization say this same thing. It was actually SY that said in his Detroit days they did this. The grind of a long season can wear on you and if you play into may and June then it's hard to stay healthy. Some of this is definitely done purposely. I agree though that I don't like it as a fan. I would rather dominate every game.

I watched Detroit do it, which is probably where the assumption comes from. Detroit had that 62 win season, but then had nothing left for the playoffs. The next season they were a lot more measured in the regular season, and then put the pedal to the metal in the playoffs. The philosophy, right or wrong, is that it's just impossible to stay in that high gear all the time, and that it's taxing, so it's better to only use it when you need it. It's a sort of "mature" approach, I guess. How often do we see kids come in full of energy, tearing things up? But it's just not sustainable.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
A lot of playoff games go to overtime too. It's not like we're terrible 5v5. You're assuming all overtime games will be a loss, and that's just not really a fair assumption. We have the best goal differential in the NHL. Even with our flaws, we're still better at this game than anybody else in the league right now.
I'm not saying their terrible at all and I don't know where you get that I'm assuming a tie is a loss, all I am saying is that the OT and SO rules are masking some significant deficiencies, the most glaring of which is the PK with a close second being the inability to close out teams in the third period.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A bit tired of all the yee hah! after underwhelming OT or SO wins against bad teams.

I think it's more about this being the fastest the Lightning have ever reached 100 points in its history, which makes it odd to see someone finding so much to be negative about.

Let the coaches try to perfect the team. There are moments where it's okay to just be happy with success. This team is not perfect, but it matches up very well against the other non-perfect teams in the league. We have a real shot.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

You are still using rules for post season in the reg season. Apple's and oranges. Teams have a different gear in the playoffs, it's almost a different game. I just think your point of the team not playing well is not the best way of saying it.

Reactions: berlin

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
I agree on the bad habit thing, and that it can easily sink us (like last year), but I wouldn't be so sure this isn't a strategy that comes from the top down. We know 2014 was a big lesson for Cooper, when we went "all out" for home ice advantage, only to injure our #1 goalie, and kind of burn out in general. Cooper talked a lot about saving something for the post-season. Mind you, I'm not a fan of letting our foot off the gas in tie games, which seems like a bad habit. But when we're up 4-1? 5-1? Whatever. Don't get injured. It might not be a coincidence that this is the most injury-free we've been in years, and we've been consistently taking our foot off the gas since about December when we have a reasonable lead.
I'll concede that there may be some truth in the points you have made, but it's a pretty hard thing to manipulate. I hope you are right and he is more of a puppet master than I give him credit for. Which is not to say that I don't think he is a great coach. I do.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'm not saying their terrible at all and I don't know where you get that I'm assuming a tie is a loss, all I am saying is that the OT and SO rules are masking some significant deficiencies, the most glaring of which is the PK with a close second being the inability to close out teams in the third period.

You literally said in real hockey we’d be 3 - 0 - 7. Soooo .... you are pulling numbers about our record out of thin air and calling it real hockey. It’s pretty nuts dude.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
You are still using rules for post season in the reg season. Apple's and oranges. Teams have a different gear in the playoffs, it's almost a different game. I just think your point of the team not playing well is not the best way of saying it.
I think you made my point for me in the first and second sentences. As to the third, I'm not sure how I could say it any better or differently, so, if it isn't clear already; from a strictly "how well is the team playing" standpoint and not with regard to how the outcomes affect the standings, I place zero value on 3 on 3 OTs and shootouts, wins or losses. Zero.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Friggin Boston won again ... they are going nuts over there right now. Playing without Backes, Bergeron, and McAvoy. We go 9 - 0 - 1 and can't pull away from that team.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Friggin Boston won again ... they are going nuts over there right now. Playing without Backes, Bergeron, and McAvoy. We go 9 - 0 - 1 and can't pull away from that team.

Patience grasshopper, patience.:thumbu:

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Actually, on the main board a Bruins fan is complaining how regardless how many games THEY win they can't close the gap with us. :D

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Not understanding the concern right now. Im ok with them not laying it all on the ice to be honest. Wins are nice but they know playoffs are right around the corner, no need to risk injuries and fatigue. If they don’t show up for the Boston game that would be concerning

Reactions: berlin

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Not understanding the concern right now. Im ok with them not laying it all on the ice to be honest. Wins are nice but they know playoffs are right around the corner, no need to risk injuries and fatigue. If they don’t show up for the Boston game that would be concerning
It's a fair point, but the lackluster play has been going on since long before a playoff spot was secure. But you're right, the Boston games will tell us something. Hopefully McD can shake a little more rust off in Ottawa beforehand.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's a fair point, but the lackluster play has been going on since long before a playoff spot was secure. But you're right, the Boston games will tell us something. Hopefully McD can shake a little more rust off in Ottawa beforehand.
The playoff spot was secured ages ago unless you want be a total smartass and say that it still is not.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

But we're still beating teams. I think you're assuming every other team is going to take its game to a new level while we remain at this level. If there's one thing this team proved in 2015 and 2016, it's that we're capable of reaching that playoff-level gear too.

Last year the passive play was unquestionably out of hand. It seemed like the team believed the playoffs were a given. Then when they realized how they'd thrown their season away, they turned it on. This year we turned it on to open the season, and once we had a comfortable lead in the standings, we've coasted a fair bit. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but I don't think it's a sign that we're a bad team disguised as a good team. We're still winning a lot of hockey games.

Reactions: Stamkos Indulgence

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
The playoff spot was secured ages ago unless you want be a total smartass and say that it still is not.
Not being a smartass. Lightning have a plus 10 goal differential since Jan 1, 5 of which are shootout wins which count as one goal, so really a plus 5. And until this run 9-0-1 run, which is really a 3-0-7 run, they were barely a .500 team. They are not as dominant as they're record would suggest is my only point.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
But we're still beating teams. I think you're assuming every other team is going to take its game to a new level while we remain at this level. If there's one thing this team proved in 2015 and 2016, it's that we're capable of reaching that playoff-level gear too.

Last year the passive play was unquestionably out of hand. It seemed like the team believed the playoffs were a given. Then when they realized how they'd thrown their season away, they turned it on. This year we turned it on to open the season, and once we had a comfortable lead in the standings, we've coasted a fair bit. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but I don't think it's a sign that we're a bad team disguised as a good team. We're still winning a lot of hockey games.
Jesus, what is everyone's problem? Can no one read? Where in any of my posts have I ever come close to saying that the Lightning are a bad team? They're a very good team that has the potential to be great, but they've got some work to do. That's all.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I didn't watch the whole game. I tuned in right before the 2nd goal. How was McDonagh??

From what I saw he looked pretty solid, made a couple nice plays.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Jesus, what is everyone's problem? Can no one read? Where in any of my posts have I ever come close to saying that the Lightning are a bad team? They're a very good team that has the potential to be great, but they've got some work to do. That's all.
I think you're kind of reading too much into things. Coburn-Sustr have been so bad recently that we've effectively been spotting teams a goal before the puck even drops. I'd wager that most of us on here have been waiting to see what the situation on D looks like once McD is up to speed before we start getting worried. And that Florida game was essentially a playoff game in terms of pace and play. Did you see what Point did? So money. Doesn't matter if it was 3v3. Florida had their guys out there too.

Furthermore, like DFC said, this team does the playoff thing pretty well. I almost question whether or not you've watched them in recent years, because there's not a whole lot about the way they've played in the postseason that has me concerned. To be honest, I can't really think of too many guys on this team who aren't clutch when the postseason rolls around. Now's when things start getting fun. Just enjoy the ride.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

You said they were gonna get beat in the playoffs because we're not good except in overtime. When all the evidence suggests we're still one of the best, if not the best, teams in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->