Post-Game Talk: 3-1 'Canes .. Streak over

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Those passes back to defenders when they had chance to clear the puck from both of Grabo and Mac were very brutal.

So were icings, and so was coverage on the goals against.

I really don't think we have to analyze this game.

Phaneuf with the dear in the headlights, Kadri with his skating around the 'Canes zone like he was Ovechkin, Grabovski with his taking it back deep, Kostka with his I'll stand behind my own net and let them take the puck away from me ...

You don't have to look hard to find examples of the no-show in this one.

If they can win 3 of 5 we should be happy. Still a rebuilding team, even if it isn't young when you consider the line-up. What do they have 1 player on the last year of his ELS contract?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
probably one of the worst games i've seen Grabo play in a long time.

And MacArthur is playing like a guy who knows he has no future with the team - no effort whatsoever. I'd like to trade Mac now and call up Hamilton. At least Hamilton will play with some heart and determination
Mac was developing some chemistry with Kadri and Frattin. I think Kadri looked pretty lost last night too. Big pieces missing from what is arguably our top two lines right now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mac was developing some chemistry with Kadri and Frattin. I think Kadri looked pretty lost last night too. Big pieces missing from what is arguably our top two lines right now.

Maybe the 'Canes have identified how to stop the Leafs.

Have them skate in slush. Skinner suffered as much as the Leafs did not being able to protect himself.

Frattin makes his line effective. Without finish it is just pretty.
Lupul and Gunnarsson are huge losses, but injuries happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jimmy Rutherford did and excellent job last summer acquired Jordan Staal and signing Semin and making the Canes relevant again.

Also the line of E Staal with Semin and Tlusty was dominate in the Leafs zone all night and are all 3 among the NHLs best +/- players in the process makes them highly effective at all times on the ice.

Leafs really missed Matt Frattin last night as Kadri needed his linemate and Leafs needed his offense.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Steckel working with Underhill on skating. They say 30 minutes before entire team skates.

What would you say is the over/under minutes before she gives up with Steckel? :laugh:

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Steckel working with Underhill on skating. They say 30 minutes before entire team skates.

What would you say is the over/under minutes before she gives up with Steckel? :laugh:

I thought Steckel seemed quicker last night and that may be why.

Although, it could also be that he was "quicker" in a comparative sense since not too many of our Leafs were skating well. :sarcasm:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm going to sweep this game under the carpet. They have been playing above their means lately, so this is their mulligan.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
Carolina is such a ****ing boring team
and fix that garbage ice, pick was bouncing like a ping pong ball, pathetic

we're the 5th highest scoring team, we are the 27th defensive team.. that is ANYTHING but boring... plus we field

Staal
Staal
Semin
Skinner
Ward

That is NOT a boring team...

As for the ice... We used to have the best ice in the NHL, but our Ice Man passed away and it's not been the same since

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
Disgraceful performance by everyone

Lose on sat and this team is ****ed

Some of you really need to take the night off/medicate/meditate/do whatever you need to do before posting this nonsense after one loss. What planet are you on to think the team is screwed if they lose on Saturday? lol

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Some of us Leaf fans were far too confident going into this game. Our boys in blue really crapped the bed.

As usual, the Refs (Bettman's Boys) called the game in favor of the Southern small market team.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Some of you really need to take the night off/medicate/meditate/do whatever you need to do before posting this nonsense after one loss. What planet are you on to think the team is screwed if they lose on Saturday? lol

There is nothing new to a segment of the Leafs' fanbase overreacting after one game, especially if it is a loss.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
we're the 5th highest scoring team, we are the 27th defensive team.. that is ANYTHING but boring... plus we field

Staal
Staal
Semin
Skinner
Ward

That is NOT a boring team...

As for the ice... We used to have the best ice in the NHL, but our Ice Man passed away and it's not been the same since

I was expecting the 'Canes to do okay this year.

I said after the trade I expected Staal and Staal to be on separate lines with those 2 being 1st. and 2nd. line centers. Many thought they'd play together, but in my mind that defeats the purpose of having strength down the middle.

I thought the Semin signing was a win.

Giving up a 3rd. liner in Sutter for a 2nd. liner is an easy win.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
I was expecting the 'Canes to do okay this year.

I said after the trade I expected Staal and Staal to be on separate lines with those 2 being 1st. and 2nd. line centers. Many thought they'd play together, but in my mind that defeats the purpose of having strength down the middle.

I thought the Semin signing was a win.

Giving up a 3rd. liner in Sutter for a 2nd. liner is an easy win.

Don't forget the 8th overall pick, Derrick Pouliot. :naughty:

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
MTL = game when you play with swag

CAR = game when you play with too much swag, got too confident and too happy go lucky, no, you're the Leafs, you've been sucking for 30-40 years, stop being so ****ing happy a couple of games were won, let's get back on the high horse, Phaneuf stop being a liability in your own end, Kadri - you're not Lemieux, WAKE THE **** UP, and Grabo, return to form, do NOT like what I'm seeing, need the old Grabo, not the old-old Grabo.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I have to give Stephen the credit for this one, but this nails it for Grabo.

"He's a speedball to nowhere".

Folk will disagree with me, but I honestly dont think Grabo and Kulemin are part of this team moving forward. Burke overpaid for Grabo, IMO and neither him or Kulemin are productive enough, or gritty enough for a team coached by RC.

I wouldnt rush to trade them, but if a team comes in with a decent offer I wouldn't be shocked to see them moved.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Folk will disagree with me, but I honestly dont think Grabo and Kulemin are part of this team moving forward. Burke overpaid for Grabo, IMO and neither him or Kulemin are productive enough, or gritty enough for a team coached by RC.

I wouldnt rush to trade them, but if a team comes in with a decent offer I wouldn't be shocked to see them moved.

I would like to give Kulemin a shot with an actual Center that knows how to use his wingers, Kulemin was having an excellent season in the KHL, 14g 24a 38pts +25

It must be fustrating for him to go from a playmaking center that has good vision to one that is a speedball in a tunnel playmaker.

I don't think we have utilized him correctly, he has more finish and where Kadri touches the puck, he creates chances with natural ease, Grabo is the speedball on the highway going nowhere and doing nothing.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Obviously, it wasn't one-for-one, Staal and Staal aren't part of a rebuilding team, so for a team that isn't rebuilding Staal > Sutter and prospect (IMO).

Oh for sure. I wonder how Canes fans feel about this team in terms of longevity without high picks.

They are in a peculiar predicament where they consistently have one of the best centres and goalies in the game and yet they usually do just a bit better than us.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oh for sure. I wonder how Canes fans feel about this team in terms of longevity without high picks.

Not really a concern as they are a young team as it stands and have the key positions (goalie, 1C and 2C) locked up for years.

Ward: 28
E. Staal: 28
J. Staal: 24
Tlusty: 24
Semin: 28
Skinner: 20
Pitkanen: 29
Faulk: 20
McBain: 24
Ruutu: 29
Jokinen: 29

The only guys signed longer than this year and over 30 are Gleason and Harrison who are both 30.

The thing that worries me the most is defense, but I won't be surprised at all if the end up with 26yo Marc Staal in a couple of years to help out there.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Not really a concern as they are a young team as it stands and have the key positions (goalie, 1C and 2C) locked up for years.

Ward: 28
E. Staal: 28
J. Staal: 24
Tlusty: 24
Semin: 28
Skinner: 20
Pitkanen: 29
Faulk: 20
McBain: 24
Ruutu: 29
Jokinen: 29

The only guys signed longer than this year and over 30 are Gleason and Harrison who are both 30.

The thing that worries me the most is defense, but I won't be surprised at all if the end up with 26yo Marc Staal in a couple of years to help out there.

Thanks for the reply!

I agree with the defense situation as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for the reply!

I agree with the defense situation as well.

You're welcome. Rutherford doesn't really seem to like to wait to develop defense, he prefers to trade for them after they have developed some (Wesley, Ward, Hedican, etc.. previously and Pitkanen, Corvo, Gleason, Harrison now). McBain and Faulk are the only ones in recent history who have been drafted and developed by Carolina so there are some recent success stories.

IMO, the defense has consistently been a weak point in the teams he's assembled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad