Confirmed with Link: 2nd round - #35OA - LW Sebastian Aho - Karpat (FIN)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So what kind of contract do you guys think Aho will get?

In my opinion he's one of the best players in the league so 9 million AAV with long term, maybe 6-8 years could be it? I see Aho as more valuable than another Finn whose contract is due, Mikko Rantanen.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
My God the numbers are getting out of hand quickly. I know you have to keep him for whatever he wants, but I feel like the "ok with" amount goes up close to a million a month lately. Where does it stop?
He shifted to center and will finish the season with 80-90 points, plays PK too now. Of course the numbers get out of hand when a player shows such steady improvement. Look at what Buffalo paid Eichel. Marner and Rantanen will demand 10 mil, and Tkachuck is going to want a piece of the cake too. The prices are going up up up.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If you re-sign J-Willy to a 1 year, $4 million deal, sign our RFAs to reasonable deals, sign McStarter and Mrazek, and add a Ferland contract or Ferland replacement ($6 milion-ish), with a $9.5 million Aho contract, the team will spend over $76 million in payroll next season. I don't see that happening. I'm more inclined to believe that the internal cap is around $72 million to $73 million. That means that TVR and Faulk would need to go to make those numbers work.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If you re-sign J-Willy to a 1 year, $4 million deal, sign our RFAs to reasonable deals, sign McStarter and Mrazek, and add a Ferland contract or Ferland replacement ($6 milion-ish), with a $9.5 million Aho contract, the team will spend over $76 million in payroll next season. I don't see that happening. I'm more inclined to believe that the internal cap is around $72 million to $73 million. That means that TVR and Faulk would need to go to make those numbers work.

I expect one or both of them will go. I expect they'll buy out Darling as well saving a couple million in real money.

Problem is, unless Necas or one of the other prospects are ready to be legit top 6 forwards, or in the trade for Faulk/TVR they get back a legit forward still on a cheap deal, that team still isn't good enough IMO.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I expect one or both of them will go. I expect they'll buy out Darling as well saving a couple million in real money.

Problem is, unless Necas or one of the other prospects are ready to be legit top 6 forwards, or in the trade for Faulk/TVR they get back a legit forward still on a cheap deal, that team still isn't good enough IMO.
If (big if at this point) we make the playoffs that boosts revenue by a decent amount per game. Maybe if 1) Dundon sees more money coming in during the playoffs, and 2) he sees how close we are to being a contender he will up that internal cap. He has said that he would be willing to spend money if the team was primed to compete.

Edit- just realized this is the Aho thread way OT

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
If (big if at this point) we make the playoffs that boosts revenue by a decent amount per game. Maybe if 1) Dundon sees more money coming in during the playoffs, and 2) he sees how close we are to being a contender he will up that internal cap. He has said that he would be willing to spend money if the team was primed to compete.

Edit- just realized this is the Aho thread way OT
Plus this t-shirt will be able to pay for Aho's contract :naughty::sarcasm:. Thanks Don Cherry. Circled back and got back on topic.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes will get Aho at the bottom of his fair value. Which is increasing by the game. Right now I'd put that at Draisaitl's deal of 8 years x $8.5 million. I don't think it will go much higher than that barring a deep playoff run in which they should be happy to pay $9+ million.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think he'd be eligible for a contract with bonuses for his next contract. I think only ELC and over 35 years old contracts can do bonuses.
And the 35+ guys only on one year contracts to boot.

Some injury returnees filling a specific criteria also are allowed to negotiate for performance bonuses, but that's about it. Everyone else play with cost certainty.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
And the 35+ guys only on one year contracts to boot.

Some injury returnees filling a specific criteria also are allowed to negotiate for performance bonuses, but that's about it. Everyone else play with cost certainty.
Can we say he is returning from a nagging injury to his fast?

Edit: NM, I was confusing the discussion about Williams and Aho. No nagging fast injury to Aho.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Yup, forgot to mention that I also bought out Darling. Right now we're at $63 million in payroll (cap). Given the mixed message comments that TD has had, it might be hard to say definitively that he's going to increase the budget. However, given how close we are this season, I think he wants to ice a winner more than he wants to save a million or so. I think the team is going to ice 2 or 3 rookies (I'm count Necas as a rookie) next season, plus guys like Foegele, McGinn, and Maenalanen (or guys with comparable salaries). I'm skeptical that we upgrade at any forward position outside of Williams and/or Ferland (if they're not re-signed or replaced at comparable salaries). I believe much will be expected of Aho, TT, Svech, and Necas next year. I don't believe that Necas plays center next season either....so, in the spirit of the thread, I expect Aho to incrementally improve next season as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad