Confirmed with Link: 2nd round - #35OA - LW Sebastian Aho - Karpat (FIN)

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Ahh ok i wasn't sure how that worked i saw it with Matthews and Nylander contracts and figured the signing bonus each year was an additional amount they received each year to their base salaray. Basically so you could pay a player more but keep their cap hit lower.

There's no way to do this anymore. The only reason for a signing bonus vs. salary is that a signing bonus is owed regardless of whether or not there are games played. In most pro sports leagues, this is largely irrelevant. But in the NHL under Gary Bettman, where games are tools to be used as leverage in negotiations, the players want to make sure they get paid even if a season is lost to the next labor dispute. Thus, signing bonus over salary.

But in terms of cap hits, the signing bonus is divided equally over the number of years and considered part of the AAV.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Ahh ok i wasn't sure how that worked i saw it with Matthews and Nylander contracts and figured the signing bonus each year was an additional amount they received each year to their base salaray. Basically so you could pay a player more but keep their cap hit lower.

It is technically paid in addition to their base salary but if you look Matthews contract his base salary will "only" be $700-750k a year. Paying the rest in signing bonuses just guarantees the money in the event of a lockout. Signing bonuses are still counted in the cap hit as well.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It is technically paid in addition to their base salary but if you look Matthews contract his base salary will "only" be $700-750k a year. Paying the rest in signing bonuses just guarantees the money in the event of a lockout. Signing bonuses are still counted in the cap hit as well.

Also the theory apparently goes that early money in hand is worth more, as the player can then invest the money to generate more income.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
If (big if at this point) we make the playoffs that boosts revenue by a decent amount per game. Maybe if 1) Dundon sees more money coming in during the playoffs, and 2) he sees how close we are to being a contender he will up that internal cap. He has said that he would be willing to spend money if the team was primed to compete.

Edit- just realized this is the Aho thread way OT
Not way OT. Imagine if Dundon and Aho sat down and had a talk about the future. I can't imagine the outcome, the last sci-fi movie I watched happened to be the "Black Hole" from 1979, so I digress and wait. But I predict $8m x 8yr with future considerations involving a Crocodile Dundon movie featuring Ferland as Donk, Turbo as the damsell in distress (in drag, obviously), and Aho as the awesome landscape with shrubbery that changes the game.

I just really wanted to place the 8x8 as my nostradamian prediction. 9x8, tops. 12x6, disappointed.

(In unrelated news, it's the week-long state sanctioned skiing holiday off-work thing in F', which hardly affects post quality here. Ask Lempo.)

EdT: Please stop responding to this and asking me for advise. It's already March. We have snow here! I can't help you. Paying customers only.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not way OT. Imagine if Dundon and Aho sat down and had a talk about the future. I can't imagine the outcome, the last sci-fi movie I watched happened to be the "Black Hole" from 1979, so I digress and wait. But I predict $8m x 8yr with future considerations involving a Crocodile Dundon movie featuring Ferland as Donk, Turbo as the damsell in distress (in drag, obviously), and Aho as the awesome landscape with shrubbery that changes the game.

I just really wanted to place the 8x8 as my nostradamian prediction. 9x8, tops. 12x6, disappointed.

(In unrelated news, it's the week-long state sanctioned skiing holiday off-work thing in F', which hardly affects post quality here. Ask Lempo.)

I have no ****ing idea what any of this means but you are awesome and this post is ****ing awesome and I love all you guys. For real

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
How do you guys think Aho will rank in the best players ever picked on 2nd round rankings?

probably somewhere in the top 10-20

random list of some notable 2nd round draft picks: bryan trottier, bobby clarke, joe nieuwendyk, ray whitney, doug weight, patrik elias, dale hunter, larry robinson, chris chelios, patrice bergeron, john leclair, duncan keith, nikita kucherov, alex debrincat, ryan o'reilly, shea weber, pk subban, roman josi, david krejci, paul stastny, jason pominville, mike cammalleri

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
probably somewhere in the top 10-20

random list of some notable 2nd round draft picks: bryan trottier, bobby clarke, joe nieuwendyk, ray whitney, doug weight, patrik elias, dale hunter, larry robinson, chris chelios, patrice bergeron, john leclair, duncan keith, nikita kucherov, alex debrincat, ryan o'reilly, shea weber, pk subban, roman josi, david krejci, paul stastny, jason pominville, mike cammalleri
You forgot Phil DiGiuseppe....

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Signing bonuses also are often up front, so you can get interest on it the whole year, I'd think. Extra moolah.
Is there a way to see Surges?

Twitter videos work or they don't. Would be grand to get 'em. Could be technical at my end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad