Value of: 2nd Line Winger to Minnesota

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Man, the Wild are so depressing. Just blow it up already.
I would love a rebuild, but how do you really tank with Kaprizov, Boldy, Faber, Brodin, Spurgeon, Ek on the team? And it’s not realistic to trade a bunch of guys like that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Man, the Wild are so depressing. Just blow it up already.
Sir we are sharks fans. I don’t think we are allowed to call other teams depressing. I was trying to think of someone that would fit in that spot from SJ and outside of Granlund (who wouldn’t fit) we have no one good enough.

Reactions: MK9

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I would love a rebuild, but how do you really tank with Kaprizov, Boldy, Faber, Brodin, Spurgeon, Ek on the team? And it’s not realistic to trade a bunch of guys like that.
Why isn't it realistic to trade Kaprizov and JEE? That's all they would really need to do.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because teams don’t trade those players of those calibers, especially at age 26.
That's not a good answer. Wild are going nowhere with these two. They're both on great contracts and carry zero trade protection of any kind. Could easily get a fortune for each of them and start a proper rebuild for the first time in franchise history.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
That's not a good answer. Wild are going nowhere with these two. They're both on great contracts and carry zero trade protection of any kind. Could easily get a fortune for each of them and start a proper rebuild for the first time in franchise history.
just a naive, lazy take by you. GMs aren’t going to rebuild when you have a core of Kaprizov, JEE, Boldy, Faber all in their mid 20s or younger. Plenty of prospects coming too. Focus on your own interminable rebuild

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Well Pens have Smith at LW with an expiring contract. Pens retain 1 million for the Wild number 2 pick. Wild have no real exposure with an expiring contract and veteran LW who needs to play well in his last year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Teams don't give up as easy as fans do, for obvious reasons.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Well Pens have Smith at LW with an expiring contract. Pens retain 1 million for the Wild number 2 pick. Wild have no real exposure with an expiring contract and veteran LW who needs to play well in his last year.
I was going to recommend Smith under the premise that they wouldn't get a better FA signing in July. And yeah, for a 2nd, that would be a easy trade. I would also be interested in a dman prospect like Ryan O'Rourke, Spacek, or Masters. Something to bolster our prospect pool.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would trade for Reilly Smith, but you're not getting a 2nd for him. I'd give you a 3rd like you gave up for him.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The answer is that you’re not living in reality if you think a team would trade two cornerstones like that entering their prime so they can start a “proper rebuild”. No GM would do that because it doesn’t make any sense outside of a video game. If you trade them, you’re just looking for the next Kaprizov and Ek

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Brock Boeser is on an expiring deal. Just hit 40 goals. Minnesota boy, of course.

Vancouver may have to sell high on him to sort out other cap priorities.

Reactions: GOilers88

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The answer is that you’re not living in reality if you think a team would trade two cornerstones like that entering their prime so they can start a “proper rebuild”. No GM would do that because it doesn’t make any sense outside of a video game. If you trade them, you’re just looking for the next Kaprizov and Ek
27 years old is "entering their prime" now?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It doesn’t surprise me that you’re trying to change the conversation given how bad your original take was
Kaprizov and JEE's age is a huge part of the conversation. They're 6 years older than Faber, your primary young cornerstone piece, and Kaprizov only has 2 more seasons prior to UFA along with a full NMC that kicks in this July.

Now is the time to sell high on these two, tank for a few years, then emerge with elite young highly drafted players to add to Faber, Boldy, Wallstedt, etc. and you'll have an actual Cup contender instead of a team content to finish 15th-20th overall every single year.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Brock Boeser is on an expiring deal. Just hit 40 goals. Minnesota boy, of course.

Vancouver may have to sell high on him to sort out other cap priorities.
Could see that. I like Brock, and think he could do well in Minny. What do you think a fair trade would look like?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kaprizov and JEE's age is a huge part of the conversation. They're 6 years older than Faber, your primary young cornerstone piece, and Kaprizov only has 2 more seasons prior to UFA along with a full NMC that kicks in this July.

Now is the time to sell high on these two, tank for a few years, then emerge with elite young highly drafted players to add to Faber, Boldy, Wallstedt, etc. and you'll have an actual Cup contender instead of a team content to finish 15th-20th overall every single year.
When do you expect the Sharks to be contenders?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Ah, the old just tank for a few years and you're set.

The HF Special.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I would wait a year and suddenly find 14m in cap space, no need to give up assets.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
When do you expect the Sharks to be contenders?
Not a relevant comparison because Grier took over a significantly worse situation than the Wild are currently in. You guys really have no bad contracts outside of maybe Spurgeon (who can always be LTIRetired) and at least three extremely desirable assets on great contracts in Kaprizov, JEE and Brodin. Two of whom don't even have trade protection.

You've also already been drafting incredibly well under Brackett meaning you'd have a treasure trove of assets along with cap space to acquire any young players on the trade market. Top 5 picks the next two years, a king's ransom from the Kaprizov and JEE trades, future starter Wallstedt already locked down, basically unlimited surplus picks, prospects and cap space to deal from...there's no reason the Wild can't turn into a serious contender 3 years from now.

Or you can keep everyone, acquire a 2nd line winger and just stay on the treadmill for those 3 years instead.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The 2025 1st round draft pick will be 6 drafts younger than Boldy, actually 1 year more than Kaprizov/Eriksson Ek are to Faber . So once that guy's good, do we get to talk about trading Boldy for picks/prospects and just tank a few years again?

Not a relevant comparison because Grier took over a significantly worse situation than the Wild are currently in. You guys really have no bad contracts outside of maybe Spurgeon (who can always be LTIRetired) and at least three extremely desirable assets on great contracts in Kaprizov, JEE and Brodin. Two of whom don't even have trade protection.

You've also already been drafting incredibly well under Brackett meaning you'd have a treasure trove of assets along with cap space to acquire any young players on the trade market. Top 5 picks the next two years, a king's ransom from the Kaprizov and JEE trades, future starter Wallstedt already locked down, basically unlimited surplus picks, prospects and cap space to deal from...there's no reason the Wild can't turn into a serious contender 3 years from now.

Or you can keep everyone, acquire a 2nd line winger and just stay on the treadmill for those 3 years instead.
So... 10 years? More or less?

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The 2025 1st round draft pick will be 6 drafts younger than Boldy, actually 1 year more than Kaprizov/Eriksson Ek are to Faber . So once that guy's good, do we get to talk about trading Boldy for picks/prospects and just tank a few years again?
If you're still a bubble team, sure. But the entire point would be to build an actual contender. Nobody is suggesting you trade Kaprizov if the Wild were currently a 110 point team en route to the playoffs.
So... 10 years? More or less?
Pretty much but this could have been avoided had Doug Wilson woken up to reality in the late 2010s and traded guys like Couture, Pavelski and Hertl instead of signing everyone with a pulse to a retirement contract and shipping out a half decade of 1st rounders for Karlsson and Kane.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If you're still a bubble team, sure. But the entire point would be to build an actual contender. Nobody is suggesting you trade Kaprizov if the Wild were currently a 110 point team en route to the playoffs.
Well, we're not that far removed from that exact kind of season.

Like I said earlier, it's a lot easier for fans to give up than it is for actual organizations. Fans can always just turn off the TV. Teams tank when they're backed into a corner, not extremely proactively.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I myself would tank this team if I was playing on NHL 24 because I know I can hit on guys all over the draft and trade for whoever I want. Reality is, this is a 100 point team 4 years in a row, and would’ve been this year with competent goaltending. A team that is going to get 15M in cap relief after next season as well. The time to tank would’ve been after the buyouts, not now.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Dubas can get a second for Snith especially at 4 million on a one year deal. Vegas needed to clear cap space and took a 3rd to do that. Dubas has cap room here so there is no urgency. Tell me how many FA LW are signing for a one year 4 million deal with Smith resume?
s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad