Rumor: 2c for next season

Who is your choice To be 2c 2019-2020

• Total voters

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You also were hopeful someone would emerge this year. What’s your outlook for 20-21?

I was hopeful, and somebody did. His name was Carl.

Next year I think even if none of them develop at all I'd be relatively comfortable with one of Carl, Jost, Compher or Kerfoot sitting in the middle between two top 6 wingers (possibly including Rantanen or Landeskog). I think the real issue last season was we had too many centers and not enough wingers, and certainly not enough natural goal scorers.

FWIW, you’re both out to lunch thinking the Avs have a snowball’s chance in hell at acquiring 2 quality top 6 pieces this summer :laugh:

Why do you think that? The Avs just made it to the 2nd round and were within a period of making it to the West final. Denver is a nice place to live (supposedly). Sakic is a classy GM. MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar are exciting players to play with. We have plenty of cap space. We have clear holes in our top 6 so there's opportunity for quality playing time. All of those are reasons a free agent forward might want to sign here. Plus we don't even need two to sign here - we have the assets to trade for a 2nd one if we so choose.

Reactions: McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jost accept the inevitable.

giphy.webp

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
He’s gonna be 34 at the start of next season. He shouldn’t be expected to step up again. He’s gonna be dropping off here at any time coming up soon.

Oh I know. But he does keep surprising us. If I'm placing bets it's on one of the young guys (I honestly don't know - probably Kerfoot as it would piss off the most people here) taking on the 2C role if we only get wingers. Or if we get playoff Jost from the start of next season then that pretty much settles it.

Skinner/Panarin/Lee/Ferland/Killorn/Miller - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - Nyquist

:naughty:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh I know. But he does keep surprising us. If I'm placing bets it's on one of the young guys (I honestly don't know - probably Kerfoot as it would piss off the most people here) taking on the 2C role if we only get wingers. Or if we get playoff Jost from the start of next season then that pretty much settles it.

Playoff Jost is the only hope we have of an internal 2C. But that doesn’t inspire much confidence in me as he was playing against bottom 6’ers and only ~13 minutes a night.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Playoff Jost is the only hope we have of an internal 2C. But that doesn’t inspire much confidence in me as he was playing against bottom 6’ers and only ~13 minutes a night.

I wouldn't say only hope. Again, Carl. Kerfoot even as a stopgap. Compher could take a step. And Kamenev seems to have the talent if he can stay healthy. Not perfect choices, but hopefully none of them would have to be the driving force on the line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Skinner/Panarin/Lee/Ferland/Killorn/Miller - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - Nyquist

:nod:

Not only Jost at C in the top 6 but paying up for Kerf 2.0 to stick on his wing? Joe would be so lucky that I'm going to be on a football-high until Union is relegated to BuLi2 again, if he tried to pull that ish.

If we can't land Hayes or trade for a solution, Landy is the only forward on the roster who might cut it as our 2c*...and we'd need to add two legitamite scoring line wingers for that to even be a consideration.

*at least once Kam explodes again

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I wouldn't say only hope. Again, Carl. Kerfoot even as a stopgap. Compher could take a step. And Kamenev seems to have the talent if he can stay healthy. Not perfect choices, but hopefully none of them would have to be the driving force on the line.

Yeah doesn’t instill me with a lot of confidence there. Especially considering wingers usually aren’t the best drivers of offense; and if they are they wouldn’t be available to us.

Again Sakic has to fill the 2C role this summer or else it’s a failed offseason to me. It’s been a glaring hole for 2 years now and it’s clear that Kerfoot could be a stopgap for the RS, but in the playoffs he’s basically useless. Soda is the ideal 3C and Compher and Kam are nowhere near the level of a 2C and probably never will.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Not only Jost at C in the top 6 but paying up for Kerf 2.0 to stick on his wing? Joe would be so lucky that I'm going to be on a football-high until Union is relegated to BuLi2 again, if he tried to pull that ish.

If we can't land Hayes or trade for a solution, Landy is the only forward on the roster who might cut it as our 2c*...and we'd need to add two legitamite scoring line wingers for that to even be a consideration.

*at least once Kam explodes again

Are you saying Nyquist is Kerfoot 2.0? Why are you saying that? The numbers I have rate Kerfoot as a 4th liner and Nyquist as a 1st liner. I'll admit I haven't watched all that much of Nyquist, but the numbers certainly don't suggest he's anywhere near as bad as Kerfoot.
And why are you assuming Kamenev is going to be injured again? Is he now made of glass because he broke his arm and injured his shoulder?
Also, did you notice how in my proposed lines Landeskog is playing with Jost - that's so he can be the defacto center on that line just like he is with Nate. I don't think they'll ever officially move Landy to center, but I could see them continuing to use him on faceoffs and down low defensively (by the way, I don't know why the idea of moving Landy to 2C isn't more popular around here).

Yeah doesn’t instill me with a lot of confidence there. Especially considering wingers usually aren’t the best drivers of offense; and if they are they wouldn’t be available to us.

Again Sakic has to fill the 2C role this summer or else it’s a failed offseason to me. It’s been a glaring hole for 2 years now and it’s clear that Kerfoot could be a stopgap for the RS, but in the playoffs he’s basically useless. Soda is the ideal 3C and Compher and Kam are nowhere near the level of a 2C and probably never will.

Panarin and Skinner aren't available to us? Where is this written in stone? And if the second line needs a winger who can drive a line they can have Mikko.

If Hayes is demanding too much term or salary, the trade market for centers is prohibitive, and good wingers are available at reasonable prices, then not acquiring a 2C is the correct move in my opinion, and making the right choices as GM is not a failure. I think we all agree that the team needs to improve it's scoring depth. But to focus in on one specific position is honestly just setting yourself up for either disappointment or for defending a bad move because at least that position is filled.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Are you saying Nyquist is Kerfoot 2.0? Why are you saying that? The numbers I have rate Kerfoot as a 4th liner and Nyquist as a 1st liner. I'll admit I haven't watched all that much of Nyquist, but the numbers certainly don't suggest he's anywhere near as bad as Kerfoot.
And why are you assuming Kamenev is going to be injured again? Is he now made of glass because he broke his arm and injured his shoulder?
Also, did you notice how in my proposed lines Landeskog is playing with Jost - that's so he can be the defacto center on that line just like he is with Nate. I don't think they'll ever officially move Landy to center, but I could see them continuing to use him on faceoffs and down low defensively (by the way, I don't know why the idea of moving Landy to 2C isn't more popular around here).

Panarin and Skinner aren't available to us? Where is this written in stone? And if the second line needs a winger who can drive a line they can have Mikko.

If Hayes is demanding too much term or salary, the trade market for centers is prohibitive, and good wingers are available at reasonable prices, then not acquiring a 2C is the correct move in my opinion, and making the right choices as GM is not a failure. I think we all agree that the team needs to improve it's scoring depth. But to focus in on one specific position is honestly just setting yourself up for either disappointment or for defending a bad move because at least that position is filled.

Well skinner is most likely re signing in Buffalo and I mean Panarin would be awesome but isn’t the most likely signing. I think a top 6 winger is absolutely needed, but the 2c spot is far more important to fill than the winger spot is. It’s just the more important position and I think Jost/Compher can fill in and do a better job on the wing than at C in the top 6.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad