w/ Renly's Peach
tenor.gif
1yWy.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think people realize how quickly team goes against the cap. The windows are short in a cap world.

You'd think that this having been "up n coming" Toronto & Winnipeg's last best shots with their current cores because of the cap, would highlight this for some folks.

But hey; after wasting most of the decade, the Blues got gifted ROR and have finally made a run!...so it's not like squandering our just-opened window would necessarily be the end of the world :rolleyes:
There was a time to be complacent, but now that the team is becoming competitive he needs to put things together and quick, or we will just be another "what if" team that never takes the next step.

Yep, I was fully in the D&D camp earlier in this rebuild...that's why I was talking about tanking for Landy while the SJ series was still going on...but the rebuild is over. This is a different phase and we need to act differently to capitalize on the opportunity we gave ourselves through that decade of pain.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
You'd think that this having been "up n coming" Toronto & Winnipeg's last best shots with their current cores because of the cap, would highlight this for some folks.

But hey; after wasting most of the decade, the Blues got gifted ROR and have finally made a run!...so it's not like squandering our just-opened window would necessarily be the end of the world :rolleyes:

Yep, I was fully in the D&D camp earlier in this rebuild...that's why I was talking about tanking for Landy while the SJ series was still going on...but the rebuild is over. This is a different phase and we need to act differently to capitalize on the opportunity we gave ourselves through that decade of pain.

St.Louis was much better team few years ago. They had better chance back then but I guess miracles can always happen.. They even missed the playoffs last season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
St.Louis was much better team few years ago. They had better chance back then but I guess miracles can always happen.. They even missed the playoffs last season.
Agree to disagree, adding ROR and Binnington's arrival has transformed them into a completely different caliber of team than they were before having a #1C or goalie.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think I'm more concerned with adding overall more talent up front than I am focused strictly on a 2 C. A better option up the middle would be great, but I just want a couple of impact players added offensively. Am I crazy for thinking Jost still has the potential to emerge?

Reactions: MarkT and LTC Pain

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I think I'm more concerned with adding overall more talent up front than I am focused strictly on a 2 C. A better option up the middle would be great, but I just want a couple of impact players added offensively. Am I crazy for thinking Jost still has the potential to emerge?

No I'll think he will emerge as well

Reactions: LTC Pain

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

Yay someone else who agrees with me!

I'm probably not quite as sold on Jost as you are, but am rather sold on the idea that *somebody* will emerge at some point.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I don't really know. It's not an easy question.

My favorite possibility is that Jost continues to play the way he did in the playoffs. That looked a lot like a top six guy to me.

Since the tone here is "Joe has to do something," my "something" would be re-signing everybody and going hard after the best wingers available in FA.

I don't support overpaying at any point unless the target is as good as a Sean Couturier.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
My gut tells me that the 2C next year will be Hayes. Don't like it but I really see it happening.

I really hope that they go after another top 6 player if this is the case. Hayes alone doesn't make us much better next season.

We need to be in on Panarin, Skinner, Zucker, etc. Got to find another legit top 6 player on top of Hayes or it's a waste of an offseason.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My gut tells me that the 2C next year will be Hayes. Don't like it but I really see it happening.

I really hope that they go after another top 6 player if this is the case. Hayes alone doesn't make us much better next season.

We need to be in on Panarin, Skinner, Zucker, etc. Got to find another legit top 6 player on top of Hayes or it's a waste of an offseason.

Adding Hayes and then a winger with our 1st this year would be a great offseason imo. Adding Hayes and let’s say Zucker or Kessel would make a nice looking top 6

Landy-Mack Zucker
Compher-Hayes-Rants

Or

Landy-Mack-Rants
Compher-Hayes-Kessel

Going into next season with either of those options would be good with me.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If Joe shared this line of thinking, that would be terrifying.

Yeah I know you think that, and I'm glad you're not Sakic just like you're glad I'm not. If we acquire two new top 6 wingers and we expect one of our current guys to be 2C, I think not only will we be fine, but we'll have solved the secondary scoring issue entirely.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My issue with waiting for internal growth is that Jost is the only one with top 6 C potential and even that’s not looking to likely at the moment. I mean Kam and Bowers look like they could become good 3rd/4th line centers. I mean Shyvrov could but that would be unlikely. I’m all for promoting the youth and letting them grow but you also have to realistic in the expectations you have for your own guys. Can’t get blinded by your own guys, sometimes you gotta get help from outside the org, and that’s ok.

I think the most realistic scenario that happens this offseason is a Hayes signing and then add a top 6 winger via trade. Which would be great with me. Having Rants with Hayes would make for a good 2nd line imo.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Adding Hayes and then a winger with our 1st this year would be a great offseason imo. Adding Hayes and let’s say Zucker or Kessel would make a nice looking top 6

Landy-Mack Zucker
Compher-Hayes-Rants

Or

Landy-Mack-Rants
Compher-Hayes-Kessel

Going into next season with either of those options would be good with me.
I agree, but I don't have faith in Sakic to make two splashy moves in one offseason. He seems very hesitant to get in on any trades. I hear these names come up like Kessel or Zucker etc. But you never hear a whisper of the Avs being in on it. Sakic just seems content to just do whatever and call it good.

My biggest fear is they go and get Hayes, and then just call it good. If they do that, it's just a waste of an offseason IMO, because you don't really get much better. A slight upgrade at 2C, and more waiting for young guys or prospects to develop.

Our window to win the Cup is right now and for the next 4 seasons while MacK is on this gift of a contract and Makar is on an ELC. I just hope Sakic realizes this and starts making moves accordingly.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I agree, but I don't have faith in Sakic to make two splashy moves in one offseason. He seems very hesitant to get in on any trades. I hear these names come up like Kessel or Zucker etc. But you never hear a whisper of the Avs being in on it. Sakic just seems content to just do whatever and call it good.

My biggest fear is they go and get Hayes, and then just call it good. If they do that, it's just a waste of an offseason IMO, because you don't really get much better. A slight upgrade at 2C, and more waiting for young guys or prospects to develop.

Our window to win the Cup is right now and for the next 4 seasons while MacK is on this gift of a contract and Makar is on an ELC. I just hope Sakic realizes this and starts making moves accordingly.

I agree 100%. I’m sure more names will come out as available around the draft and UFA so hopefully there will be more options than Zucker/Kessel/Miller. But I’d think we need to get at least one top 6 player that becomes available in the next couple months to have a successful offseason.

Reactions: chet1926

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

FWIW it's the avs. You don't hear much even when they're dripping with thirst for someone lol.
Yeah I know you think that, and I'm glad you're not Sakic just like you're glad I'm not. If we acquire two new top 6 wingers and we expect one of our current guys to be 2C, I think not only will we be fine, but we'll have solved the secondary scoring issue entirely.

Fair enough, we can't all agree, but that would be playing with fire and the kind of risk that I could not accept if this were my show. Becoming the next Winnipeg or Toronto hits you faster than you think, so wasting any more cup chances should no longer be acceptable to ownership & the FO.

Ultimately, Union Berlin is in the 1st division, so I'm going to be happy for the next 11-12 months no matter what the Avs do :laugh:...but studying the cup winners of the cap-era, especially the repeat-winners, suggests that we have a chance to join that exclusive club if we can capitalize on this opportunity in front of us to have an absolutely massive 4-year long window, with a core young enough to open a second window down the line.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
FWIW it's the avs. You don't hear much even when they're dripping with thirst for someone lol.

Fair enough, we can't all agree, but that would be playing with fire and the kind of risk that I could not accept if this were my show. Becoming the next Winnipeg or Toronto hits you faster than you think, so wasting any more cup chances should no longer be acceptable to ownership & the FO.

Ultimately, Union Berlin is in the 1st division, so I'm going to be happy for the next 11-12 months no matter what the Avs do :laughing:...but studying the cup winners of the cap-era, especially the repeat-winners, suggests that we have a chance to join that exclusive club if we can capitalize on this opportunity we have to an absolutely massive 4-year long window.
I'm more concerned that Sakic is a passive GM, than I am about hearing rumors. As you stated we are a very secretive team in general.

Joe doesn't have a tendency to be aggressive when it comes to trades or UFA. Hell even the Duchene trade seemingly fell into his lap after a year+ of waiting around for something good to happen.

Joe needs to make something happen this offseason, a bunch of mediocre minor moves isn't going to cut it this offseason.

It's now, win now time. Time to make this team a legit threat, not sit on our hands and wait for prospects to develop time.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Yay someone else who agrees with me!

I'm probably not quite as sold on Jost as you are, but am rather sold on the idea that *somebody* will emerge at some point.

You also were hopeful someone would emerge this year. What’s your outlook for 20-21?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
If Joe shared this line of thinking, that would be terrifying.

FWIW, you’re both out to lunch thinking the Avs have a snowball’s chance in hell at acquiring 2 quality top 6 pieces this summer :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->