GDT: #29 | New York Islanders @ St. Louis Blues | December 5th | 8pm | F/L 5-1

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
You can't expect Visnovsky and Strait to be out for more than 70% of the games. Everyone knew the defense was mediocre to begin with. I wanted them to get a top 4 dman in the summer, that didn't happen, nothing we could do about it.
No, you can not predict injuries, you must plan for them. Snow didn't, which is a huge fail for a team that was thin at defense by any standard and dependant on an ageing and declining goaltender at that position.
The absolute minimum requirement for a lateral to improved season was 1. an upgraded #1 goalie, 2. a veteran capable backup goalie (and especially if 1 is not accomplished), 3. a solid defensive defenseman as a replacement/upgrade for Streit.
Snow was inactive and knowingly took the team into this season undermanned in talent, hoping they could patchwork together a competitive season on the back of JT and wishes.

Finis.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
At this rate it's going to be fun watching the Reinhart brothers for years to come!

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Is it just me or is this team populated with the physically weakest players in professional hockey? I am so sick of seeing most of our players pushed around and pushed off the puck when they even bother to give battle.

Bailey, Regin, Bouchard, Hickey, AMac, Strait, Vis, Grabs, Frans, Martinek....a compilation of 90 pound weaklings, can not compete with physically strong, angry, hearty men.

AndThereGoesGrabner*

I haven'e seen any dirty goals since Moulsons departure. So, when is Vanek going to score those dirty goals?? Man that trade absolutely killed this team!!!

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Is it just me or is this team populated with the physically weakest players in professional hockey? I am so sick of seeing most of our players pushed around and pushed off the puck when they even bother to give battle.

Bailey, Regin, Bouchard, Hickey, AMac, Strait, Vis, Grabs, Frans, Martinek....a compilation of 90 pound weaklings, can not compete with physically strong, angry, hearty men.

You forgot Ness but yes, they are a collection of Mites. But we'd have one hell of a team in a non contact league

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Is anybody NOT laughing at least a little right now?

This team needs to rebuild! LOL

Eff me... I have tickets to tomorrow night. I'm embarrassed to put this jersey on. At least Wang doesn't get any of my money from tomorrow.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
This has to be one of the worst Islander teams I've watched and I'm 27 so I grew up with some bad teams. I have never seen an NHL team that is so bad systems wise (behind the net all the time does not suit this team). The special teams have to be historically bad especially that sub 60% PK!

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
This has to be one of the worst Islander teams I've watched and I'm 27 so I grew up with some bad teams. I have never seen an NHL team that is so bad systems wise (behind the net all the time does not suit this team). The special teams have to be historically bad especially that sub 60% PK!

Pertaining to the special teams issue, exactly why I don't want Doug Weight or Thompson as head coach. Isles need a REAL NHL coach, go out and get one.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
if i saw garth, crappy, or any other isles brass, i wouldnt hesitate to punch them in the face and tell them they suck

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Thanks for the pep talk. Almost pulled it out Lost 6-4 on an empty netter. Was only outshot 52-18. Closest margin of loss in our fall season so far. Sitting at 0-8 heading into the bye week & holiday break :handclap:

id imagine your shorts at the playoffs still might be on par with the isles

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
What comes to mind with this team is the movie Moneyball, except with a less intelligent, less well prepared GM.

The team does a poor job developing young players, and no good veterans will join, especially since the Isles won't pay competitive salaries.

Until a new owner buys the team, there really isn't much reason to watch or pay attention to the team, or expect they will be anything but a perennial bottom five dweller with a one-in-20-year lucky season where they go one series in the playoffs.

If the owner does not care or have much interest, why should we?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan here, coming in peace. The Islanders are one of my Eastern teams to root for, so its been hard to see the season start out so disappointingly. Reading your GDT is depressing. I feel for your fans.

Bright points: I was impressed by the team speed. There have been only a couple teams that have made the Blues look as slow. Grabner in particular really looked sharp, and was unlucky not to get one of those break-away short-handed chances to go in.

Tavares is a fantastic player. But that line is too vulnerable to being keyed on. Vanek, I'll be honest I didn't notice him all that much.

We think the Blues are a real contender this year, and you caught them just after two disappointing performances....so probably not the best timing.

I'm rooting for you guys. There are some fantastic pieces to build around. I hope you guys embarrass the Rangers in the outdoor game. I do think a coaching change looks likely before this season is over, but you have to wonder who would be the replacement.

Good luck. We'll see you again later this season.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
As long as Wang and Snow are in charge this team will go nowhere. Last year was a fluke. This year is more of what to expect if these ass clowns continue to be in charge. FTT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad