GDT: #29 | New York Islanders @ St. Louis Blues | December 5th | 8pm | F/L 5-1

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
headers_131205.jpg

chickenlittle.jpg

TV: Tune in to NBC for "The Sound of Music Live" - even that should be more entertaining.

Season series: This is the first of two games this season between the New York Islanders and St. Louis Blues. They haven't played since Feb. 16, 2012, when Alex Pietrangelo set up three goals and Brian Elliott made 26 saves in a 5-1 Blues win in St. Louis.

Big story: The Islanders have been knocking on the door of a much-needed win in several games of late, but they carry an 0-5-2 skid into a difficult five-game road trip that begins Thursday at Scottrade Center. The journey continues with games against all three California teams and ends with a date against the Phoenix Coyotes. All five teams the Islanders play would qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they started today.

Islanders Team Scope:
Three nights after giving up the tying shorthanded goal in the final minute of regulation before losing in overtime, New York dropped another game in frustrating fashion Tuesday against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In a rematch of an exciting first-round Stanley Cup Playoff series from last spring, Kyle Okposo scored twice in a span of 3:02 in the first period to stake the Islanders to a 2-0 lead. But they gave up a late power-play goal to James Neal in the second, and then Sidney Crosby notched both the tying power-play goal in the third and the OT winner to send the Isles to a 3-2 defeat.

"We can talk about we did some good things, [but] we just didn't get the job done at the end of the day," captain John Tavares said. "That's what matters most."

Who's hot:
Tavares, who assisted on both of Okposo's goals Tuesday, is tied for third in the NHL with 32 points.

Injury report:
New York has goalie Evgeni Nabokov (groin) and defensemen Brian Strait (upper body) and Lubomir Visnovsky (concussion) on injured reserve. Nabokov and Strait have been skating with the team.

soundofmusic.jpg

Notes & Quotes:

"We're doomed!" - Garth Snow

"It's exactly like we're getting killed out there!" - Charles Wang

"Yabba dabba do." - Jack Capuano

robot.jpg

Blues Team Report:
Blues: For the first time this season, St. Louis has gone consecutive games without picking up a point. The Blues, who will start Jaroslav Halak in goal, start Thursday in second place in the Central Division, one point ahead of the Colorado Avalanche and two in front of the Minnesota Wild.

When the Blues score first they're almost unbeatable at 15-1-2, but against the San Jose Sharks and Los Angeles Kings they spent their time playing catch-up and coming up short.

"We just played two great teams, teams that are going to be in the playoffs at the end of the year. We have to realize that our game isn't there right now," defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "It's a learning experience more than anything. It's still early enough in the season that we can grow and become a championship-caliber team, and that's what we have to take away from this."

Who's hot:
Shattenkirk and Vladimir Tarasenko each had a goal and an assist for the Blues against the Sharks. Jaden Schwartz had an assist and now has three goals and five assists during a seven-game point streak.

Injury report:
St. Louis forward Magnus Paajarvi (flu-like symptoms) is day-to-day. Defenseman Jordan Leopold (hand) and forward Ryan Reaves (hand) are on injured reserve.

gotblueout.jpg

Last edited:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Been watching the Blues a lot lately and they are a great team top to bottom. Steen has been playing to elite levels and they have an tremendous defense this will be real tough. I'll be working and listening to Chris King tonight hope we can snap this skid.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
So who else is watching the sound of music with me? Any takers?

I will have the Isles on as background noise while doing house stuff (cooking and whatnot?) and once the Blues jump out 2-0 quick it gets turned off. Look, I have zero faith in this organization, so I have turned my 2013-14 Isles fancard in. I'll be back next season for more pain. Look, call me a "fairweather fan" or whatnot but this team has been losing for decades so they need to show me they are legit. Last year I was psyched and the beginning of this year I was "all in" BUT we were duped as fans. I no longer care about this year. I hope Garf doesn't make any trades to save this season, its DOA.

Isles lose 5-1!

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
That last picture of the Isles uni's in blue and white...... I like whats going on there.

I might watch this one...

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
In retrospect, I really wish I had done a full Sound of Music Live themed GDT and then mentioned the Islander game as an afterthought. Would have been much better.

I promise a less scattered DT next week!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Whats the sound of music?

It's a play that takes place during WW2

This is one of the famous songs from it.

There's a sad sort of clanging
From the clock in the hall
And the bells in the steeple too,
And up in the nurs'ry an absurd little bird
Is popping out to say "coocoo".

Regretfully they tell us,
But firmly they compel us
To say goodby to you.

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.

So long, farewell, Au'voir, auf wiedersehen,
I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, goodbye,
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye,
Good bye

I'm glad to go,
I cannot tell a lie.
I flit, I float,
I fleetly flee, I fly.

The sun has gone to bed and so must I
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye,
Goodbye,
Goodbye,
Goodbye!

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
This will not be a 3rd period collapse and it will not be close.
Hitchcock will not allow his team to sleepwalk because they are playing a doormat, he will make sure they grab hold of what should be an easy 2 points. We may make them work a bit for it, but that is all they have to do is work when they show up, we will do the rest. :cry:

RealSturat

Jan 30, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
Whats the sound of music?

It's a musical based in Austria as Germany rose to power during WW2, but that's not important right now.

DVR is set for that. And I have to work, so I'll miss the game.

Yup, recording live theatre over an Islanders game. That's what it's come to already this season.

Sigh.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Yea...this will be fun, big bruising team that is terrific defensively vs a smaller fast team with mostly small stick checking D.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
It's a musical based in Austria as Germany rose to power during WW2, but that's not important right now.

DVR is set for that. And I have to work, so I'll miss the game.

Yup, recording live theatre over an Islanders game. That's what it's come to already this season.

Sigh.

LOL. Its a big building with patients, but thats not important right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad