Post-Game Talk: #28 - 12/02/18 | jets @ RANGERS | 6:00 - MSG

Three stars

• Total voters

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I would say that you're right in the sense that it's not easy. There are no guarantees and its not going to be a walk in the park.

But I also think we're past the point of any path being easy.

While I think Dolan wants his $$$, I don't think the Rangers are one of those teams that still won't be very profitable even if they suck. So while we're not a small market team, the upside is also that this isn't a team that's going to be operating in the red until they become a contender either. I think we also have the benefit that, for the most part, Dolan let's his hockey people do their thing.

Do you think selling 27 tons of chicken fingers is easy?

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Unless they opt for Byram, the Rangers are almost certainly going to end up with a potential first liner at a minimum in the upcoming first round.

It's just hard for me to compare the drafts circa 2005-2016, with the 2017-2019 drafts.

We're talking considerably more picks, what could be triple the amount of top-10 picks, and other factors.

Then you factor in not having firsts for four years and I feel like we keep forcing this whole draft conversation and it's just not really a good comparison. It's hard to make parallels.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I would say that you're right in the sense that it's not easy. There are no guarantees and its not going to be a walk in the park.

But I also think we're past the point of any path being easy.

While I think Dolan wants his $$$, I don't think the Rangers are one of those teams that still won't be very profitable even if they suck. So while we're not a small market team, the upside is also that this isn't a team that's going to be operating in the red until they become a contender either. I think we also have the benefit that, for the most part, Dolan let's his hockey people do their thing.

That's my point, so thank you.

I mean, people are already turning on Lias when a few months ago, he was a god.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i agree this is a deep centerman draft, but are there any difference makers and when will they make that difference ? cozens, lavoie, dach, krebs and turcotte all nice prospects but will they ever be as good a KH ?
Does this mean throw in the towel unless you have the #1 pick in the draft? What's the point here? Aside from Hughes & Kakko, the next 5 players are all looking like impact players that will make a difference.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The revolving door defense lineup nightly is getting silly. No one seems to be wanting to grab a fixture of a starting job by the horns.
One of the main issues. When a shell of his former self, Marc Stall has become your steadiest player, there is a problem.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Unless they opt for Byram, the Rangers are almost certainly going to end up with a potential first liner at a minimum in the upcoming first round.

possibly.
maybe.
probably.

when will they be ready to make an impact, 2-3 years down the road ?

rebuild. possibly. maybe. probably. long. time.

Reactions: will1066

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

I think it's the frustration that the Rangers have drafted just one elite forward in the last twenty years (and that one literally dropped dead).

Reactions: Fitzy

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It's just hard for me to compare the drafts circa 2005-2016, with the 2017-2019 drafts.

We're talking considerably more picks, what could be triple the amount of top-10 picks, and other factors.

Then you factor in not having firsts for four years and I feel like we keep forcing this whole draft conversation and it's just not really a good comparison. It's hard to make parallels.

I sort of think this is almost a rebuild on steroids. While it remains to be seen exactly what Gorton adds in the deals for Zuccarello and Hayes, if he ends up with another two firsts, that’s at least 8 1sts in three years, as well as DeAngelo, Rykov, Lindgren, Hajek and Howden, (and technically you can add in Zibanejad.). There is no comparison to any other rebuild in Ranger history. As I continue to state, we are in new territory as Ranger fans.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
possibly.
maybe.
probably.

when will they be ready to make an impact, 2-3 years down the road ?

rebuild. possibly. maybe. probably. long. time.

I’ve been saying that the whole time. This is not an overnight process, as much as some posters have tried to argue otherwise. I am perfectly okay in not rushing this process.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Generally speaking, I've always tried to avoid the hot/cold approach to prospects. But I somewhat accept that it's not possible on here, so I just kind of smile and nod at times.

I think we're at a point where we can essentially go down one of two paths:

1. We can continue to stockpile, try to acquire young talent and picks and roll the dice with that approach. That path has a lot of unknowns, but the higher upside.

2. We hedge out bets, hold on to what we have and probably end up with no better than what we've always had. This is the approach with the higher floor, but probably the higher ceiling.

It's very hard to walk the line between both approaches (because I know someone is just itching to type the "why not both?" line).

I think there are some things that are beyond the Rangers control (who is available in the draft, the picks of other teams, how their young talents play, etc.) At some point, the Rangers can only do so much and the chips are going to fall where they may.

I think they've done a good job of getting very promising early returns with a lot of their young talent, and I think they've done a good job of identifying talent that they weren't quite in a position to nab ---imagine this club with Keller and Pettersson?

The latter falls into the "beyond their control" category, but the point being that I think their prescription lenses are working pretty well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And if they do opt for Byram, then they are getting up with a potential top pair defender.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Generally speaking, I've always tried to avoid the hot/cold approach to prospects. But I somewhat accept that it's not possible on here, so I just kind of smile and nod at times.

I think we're at a point where we can essentially go down one of two paths:

1. We can continue to stockpile, try to acquire young talent and picks and roll the dice with that approach. That path has a lot of unknowns, but the higher upside.

2. We hedge out bets, hold on to what we have and probably end up with no better than what we've always had. This is the approach with the higher floor, but probably the higher ceiling.

It's very hard to walk the line between both approaches (because I know someone is just itching to type the "why not both?" line).

I think there are some things that are beyond the Rangers control (who is available in the draft, the picks of other teams, how their young talents play, etc.) At some point, the Rangers can only do so much and the chips are going to fall where they may.

I think they've done a good job of getting very promising early returns with a lot of their young talent, and I think they've done a good job of identifying talent that they weren't quite in a position to nab ---imagine this club with Keller and Pettersson?

The latter falls into the "beyond their control" category, but the point being that I think their prescription lenses are working pretty well.

I think some glimpse into their future approach can be gleamed simply by looking at when their current players are going to be pending UFAs. Who out of that whole group are they extending? I don't know about Hayes, I'd lean they are trading him yet beyond him, Kreider perhaps? If they are not extending them, Zucc, Hayes this year, Namestnikov, Vesey, Fast, Shattenkirk, Smith, over the next two/three, they are not going to likely self rent them unless they really think some sort of legit Cup run can come out if it.

I guess it just seems to me like most of them will be used to return some sort of futures or at least younger players. Perhaps one hockey deal can be made somewhere out of that, perhaps by including say Skjei, yet I kind of think they are placing their possible contention timeline beyond most of those players.

Reactions: Edge

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We need to do something about Smith. I can't tolerate an idiot like this on the team. Anything but a ****ing goat turd of a player who showed up to camp in such terrible shape that he was sent to the minors. I'd amnesty buyout Smith's ass before Staal.

He can be sent down, so, there's that?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You just said Patrick Laine, the NHL leader in goals, who can out skate anyone on the Rangers roster, has the best shot in the game and absolutely dominates when he wants is a “nice piece”... if that’s the best he earns I can only imagine what you’d use to describe Lias and Chytil. If either develop into even half the hockey player Laine is the Rangers may have something.
He never dominates the game and there's lots of guys he can't outskate.

He does have the best shot and he's a great compliment but he wouldn't be scoring a goal every night if he wasn't playing in the best top 6 in the league.

You make him sound like he's Ovechkin, driving offense and creating for his teammates. No. Laine needs to be set up.

He's great to have, but he's not necessary to win in this league.

I would easily take Scheifele and Wheeler over him.

Reactions: haveandare and jas

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Winnipeg should have won the Cup last year.

MAF stole the series against them and I think Washington vs Winnipeg goes a lot different than Washington vs Vegas did.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

I mean Chytil was hot for a bit, so having Lias as a foil, even if it only existed in the minds of our fans, made his hot streak so much spicier.

You have to remember that message boards are sort of like an onion, many layers of interweaving narratives that drive eachother.

I assume Bees have similar yet pheromone based discussions.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He never dominates the game and there's lots of guys he can't outskate.

He does have the best shot and he's a great compliment but he wouldn't be scoring a goal every night if he wasn't playing in the best top 6 in the league.

You make him sound like he's Ovechkin, driving offense and creating for his teammates. No. Laine needs to be set up.

He's great to have, but he's not necessary to win in this league.

I would easily take Scheifele and Wheeler over him.

Wheeler and Schiefele are the obvious drivers on that team. It’s amazing but true that Laine looks like a complementary piece as a 40-goal scorer. Ehlers looked like he was the driver on that line.

Reactions: Machinehead

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I mean Chytil was hot for a bit, so having Lias as a foil, even if it only existed in the minds of our fans, made his hot streak so much spicier.

You have to remember that message boards are sort of like an onion, many layers of interweaving narratives that drive eachother.

I assume Bees have similar yet pheromone based discussions.

IDK...the Jets remind me of a slightly weaker 2011 Bruins with a overwhelmingly less dominant goalie.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wheeler and Schiefele are the obvious drivers on that team. It’s amazing but true that Laine looks like a complementary piece as a 40-goal scorer. Ehlers looked like he was the driver on that line.

He has maybe the best release we've ever seen, but really, what other above average skill does he have?

He's a really odd player.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Laine reminds me a lot of Brett Hull. Awesome player, even if one dimensional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad